White widow, bubbleicious and nothern lights

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by mcherbalman, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Hi I'm mcherbalman and I am a first time grower from the green <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">land</st1:placeType> of <st1:placeName w:st="on">Ireland</st1:placeName></st1:place>. Unfortunately one particular green plant has to grow in my cupboard. Well I have too say before I begin my diary that my hands fucking hurt and I am really pissed off. Has anyone ever been typing their grow diary for about 2 hours and then pressed ‘back' by accident?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Word of advice punching your keyboard is not the answer when all that you have done has disappeared. So I smoked a joint, chilled the &*^$ out and I'm again happy.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    So hello there fellow growers, I'm so happy to find a place where I can share my love for growing weed with the world. It's been great fun but I'm yet to reap and rewards, soon though! Any way enough about me, I wrote more last time but its just not the same anymore, kinda lost enthusiasm.<o:p></o:p>
    OK…here are my babies probably round the 4<SUP>th</SUP> of September, notice the largest plant. That is where it all started. I found it in some baggie and thought as many people do…What the heck? The other 8 and the 125W envirolite came next, and here they are…<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Now I was at this stage going on vacation for two weeks and I had no one to look after them. I had to get creative and this is what I cam up with…<o:p></o:p>
    Though I could get the drill pump to self prime so with one day to go I filled a big container with cotton wool and added water and nutrients till it was completely soaked.<o:p></o:p>
    I removed 5 of the 8 northern lights and gave them away and potted them in to their own pots. Cutting holes in the base and sides I immersed them in the cotton wool and covered around the pots in tin foil to retain moisture, this means the only way the water could escape was through the soil. <o:p></o:p>
    Well I go back two weeks later…<o:p></o:p>
    The cottonwool had grown algae and the tub stank like nothing I had ever smelt before. I wretched unitl I cried when I cleaned it out. Seriously my housemates farts are nothing in comparison to this, an he has had me wretching on a hangover.<o:p></o:p>
    Any way the plants were great. The Bag seed grew the most, burning its top on the light, and the other 3 nothern lights, well you'll see<o:p></o:p>
    This was taken around the end of September and it turn out the bag seed was a hermi so I cut it and used the leaves as a tobacco substitute in spliffs but was quite harsh. <o:p></o:p>
    My patience has a lot to be desired as I took one of the plants and started switching 12/12 but it also turned out to be a hermi. Doh!<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

So with one dwarf and 1 good plant I began growing bubbleicious and two clones, one is now dead and the other is in a bad way. I bough cheap cloning power and no roots grew. I managed to save one, it went yellow but a good root hormone and love and care has brought the colour back and new shoot is kicking off but still growth is very slow. I'll not give up just yet. <o:p></o:p>
    So now I am left with one big female northern light, Around the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> of October and the bubbleicious is bad. Two of the plants have developed really poorly and on flourished though because it was larger than the other two I believe it could be a male.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    This is the bubbleicious…<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    So with bubbleicious treating my like crap I purchased some white widow, mmmmm, yes I did! And here they are…. Along with two more northern lights… I planted these around the 9<SUP>th</SUP> of October and the 2 week later (22<SUP>nd</SUP>) I tried two new bubbleicious, they are the smallest that you can see. The polythene bag is a clone of the big bubbleicious, ill let it get a bit bigger before I preflower. <o:p></o:p>
    Question pre-flowering a female can lead to a hermi…is this the same with males? My thinking… flower the clone and it shows only male, bye bye, and if it is a hermi continue to grow the big one.<o:p></o:p>
    This pic was taken today 27<SUP>th</SUP> October and just look at my northern light!!!!!!! She is the most beautiful thing ever her name is shampa.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Notice the brown spots on the above leaf, this has plagued my plants since birth. If it was spidermite could i see them under a magnifying glass if they were. I think its leaf rust but a more skilled eye could probably tell easier, let me know...thanks</o:p>
    So this is it for now, ill keep you posted and it was well worth writing all this again I just hope you enjoyed it. Your comments would be much appreciate especially any thing that my help my set up! Thanks and happy growing!<o:p></o:p>

2. all is going well with my plants though a recurring problem is happening on the leaves as you will see, oh and since before i have taken the plants out of the cupboard and pitched a tent in my room.

Here is the northern light, i'm a bit worried about the size of the buds. The dont seem to be filling out!

Do they grow most in their last two weeks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the pics of my bubblicious the youngest of before and the wee clone that i took of the mother plant which had died and is now resurrected and growing, so pleased about this. The bigger one in the rear is a white widow.

[​IMG]

my setup is pretty budget but i thought the extra height from the coke bottles saved quite a bit of space. Dont see why this would be a problem.
    These are other norhtern light and white widow

[​IMG]

Another white widow in xl pot.

[​IMG]

The last pot of call is the bubbleicious. If you can see the brown spots on any of the above plants or below can you tell me what they are, The have plauged my big leaves for ages now? Thanks

[​IMG]

3. Lookin good mate, just wanted to give you a few tips:

- Using a clear pop bottle is not a good idea because roots like the dark (reason why they grow underground). Try to cover it with some black tape or dark bag ?

- Please correct me if I'm wrong but are you growing all those plants (in different stages of growth) all under one light or one grow enclosure? This would be a big mistake because seedlings and clones require a separate enclosure to maintain certain levels of moisture/humidity plus control temps. The larger plants require more airflow (fans) and much larger pots not to mention more light! (@ 2700k) and max out your reflection on side walls and floor. Your grow chamber should be very lit up, no major shadows (if any).

- Brown spots, kinda hard to be certain so I would recommend reading into the matter, info available everywhere online.

Good luck and I'll keep an eye on your grow.

4. Your brown spots look an aweful-lot like the ones I had on a plant in my 2nd grow.
    In my case it was bad soil, pH < 5.5.
    I had to flush it to fix it.
    Don't flush any of your plants whilst they are in flowering.
    Since you got chaos grow, I mean different plants at different stages,
    also don't put a flushed plant next to a flowering plant.
    The soil of a flushed plant may stay wet for weeks,
    which means the humidity in your growbox goes through the roof!

5. well heres the uploaded pics. could anyone estimate fromthese pics of ho long i got?

[​IMG]

she smells great specially in the morn when she comes out of bed!

[​IMG]

i want her to be ready now but bigger buds are hoped for!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is a pic of my ammended grow rooms. i used radiator reflector which doubles is an insulator. any way its turning into a jungle in there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the bubbleicious im calling it no.2. Is this a good time to start flowering? i'm looking for signs of pre-flower but really i havent a clue!

[​IMG]

Nifty idea i thought, soil is insulated and dark. They are coming along well with no spots.

Oh and on that matter, i checked the ph of my tap water and it is neutral (ph 7) i know this is high, but does it really matter. Will vinegar be ok to lower the ph, (could maybe use brown vinegar) Suppose i could simply test it out on the most male looking plant.

[​IMG]

OK and finnally my turns out mutated clone, i metaphorically "dropped it on it's head as a baby", but will it rectify itself! it survived to live and live it shall, unless its gona give me some of its momas weed.

[​IMG]

Thats all folks! i'll post again soon

oh and for the record, im using an envirolite 125w 2700k- red spectrum Warm white for veg and flowering. Im a poor student so cheap and easy and obviously gives results. The big northern light wasnt given nutrients until flowering cause i simply couldnt afford it so it had a very poor root structure. Since flowering they have been added. Also you can see the size of the plant from the first pics when i started flowering so naturally it is quite (very small). we'll see how it goes any way

6. From the first 4 pics on the last post I can see that your plant has a deficency (brown spots on leafes). I am not quite sure which one. Head over to the sick plants section and ask if you care. Either way your plant(s) is so far into flowering that I guess it will not matter for this one (not 100% sure, but it's apperantly had no effect so far). But for later grows, and your smaller plants you might wanna find out what it is, and what caused it...

Looking good, apart from that. :)

7. get a real light

im surprised you grew any bud in that.....no wonder your yeild is so tiny

No need for name calling. You can get your message across without being insulting - TokinBlue

8. Seriously...asshole.
    My man nice grow. I know exactly what those spots are, I've seen em all to often. It's a lack of calcium, and based on the deep green, you also have too much nitrogen. What do you feed her with? Also I think northern lights is a 8 week flowering time, if that helps. Best way is to get a pocket microscope from radio shack for 10 bucks and look at the trichomes (crystals on the bud). Look at the bulbous heads, study them carefully and come up with a % of clear-cloudy-amber.

Edit: whoops, you probly don't have radio shack huh? I think most electronics stores carry them.

9. ive just started growing northern lights and from the research ive done the buds are supposed to be compact but as i say ive just started so theres prob more experianced peopole here to advise you. good luck

10. we'll see thcfiend! Just dont worry about it big lad. i'm not! i grow for fun in a safe and cheap way. I'm very proud of my first grow as i'm sure you were, but if my methods "insult" you i'd appreciate you take TokinBlue's advice or simply bugger off!

11. Looking good my man :smoking:
    Lets just hope you get the purple pheno with you bubble as its alot nicer than the more piney pheno.
    I grew bubble and white widow all year. The WW kicks ass compared to the bubble but both great smokes.
    I've got 5 ww x bubble plants @ 2 weeks of flower at the moment, so we'll see how they turn out ;)

12. Your flowering ones look nice.
    I agree with Kamel; it looks like Calcium. However, chech the undersides of the leafs to make sure there are no spider mites there. You might see webs too. If not check the ph of the soil, make sure it is between 6.2-6.8 and get back with us. Nice first grow.

13. Hey calcium deficiency, ill keep that symptom in mind. its really only that plant that is suffering, so i may just leave it, harvest is near and the buds look good anyway.its been a week since i started the flush but the white hairs keep sprouting a week ago the hairs where approx. 50/50 , but now the white hairs are winning again. i have too admit the envirolight is taking its sweet ass time i think 9 weeks now, but you cant diss the buds. Take a look!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i smoked a little bud on friday. my goodness my goodness, went to see james bond giggling off my tits. really looking forward to harvest!

[​IMG]

THese are the rest of the little babies and they are quite big now, they are growning like crazy. i am starting 12/12 in a couple of days. Need to determine sex to get some room in there. llike a little forest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the bubbleicious...

[​IMG]

i'm going to amsterdam in a month, is there any good tours around weed farms near the city? would love to see one.

14. I would not worry about spots as long as it is defficiency.
    Just in case check bottom of leaves for insects. Get yourself some strong magnyfing glass or x60 microscope.
    It will help, and let you establish if the plants are ready for chop. When you look at those lovely white crystals under micro you will see a litlle drops of liquid attached to their ends. If they clear STAY AWAY!!! it's not ready yet. If they white, cloudy get your self ready and wait untill about half of them turn amber. Then chop. It should guarantee full spectrum high. If you wait too long, and they all amber it's still ok, only high will be much more ass-in-sofa like.

Big female with spots looks greate. Just make sure, that you foliar feed her when she goes to bed. If you do it in the morning it can result in burns like3 yours.

Anyway. Do not feed her any more. Just clean water and stay away from winegar as in a best case it will reflect in taste, in worst...
    Get phosphoric acid, and use it wisely.
    She is at the end of flowering, so you want her to use all nutes stuck in it to get nice taste. Otherwise smoke will rip your lungs out.
    Also slowly, get rid of some of these big fen leaves, as at the moment they taking to much light from the bottom section. They should be dying by now anyway. Only your good hand keeps them alive.
    Good work buddy.

If you want to check my slow struglle with getting into hydro, chec out my log. On forum. Lowryders + skunk #1. Troublegrow.

15. another week has past and still no harvest, i dont mind though the bigger it gets the better for me!

potmaniac i took your advice and removed the leaves above the buds plant is looking thinner but buds look better. Thanks i dont have access to a microscope but im not that worried, ill go by the hairs and leaves and trust my instincts:confused:

well here she is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK here is the white widow northern lights and bubbleicious, they are growing extremely fast. I started flowering around the 21st so i can weed out the males and create some empty pots and some space!

[​IMG]

This is the bubbleicous (the oldest one) i am bricking it the it will be a male, but ill keep both fingers crossed until then

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope all you viewers plants are well! McHerbalman

16. Your plants grow nice and big considering they are in such small pots. Next time consider getting them bigger pots if you can. Otherwise they look real nice.

17. ok another week or so has passed. i lost 6 plants including my big bubbleicious(actually all my bubbleicious):mad: all turned out to be male and are in ther trash.

Fortunately two big white widow survived. Here is the first one and it is defo to big for my grow area so i bent the stalk and staked it. dont know if this will work or if i did it right. heres the pic

[​IMG]

the other whit widow was also too tall so i cut the main stalk above two nodes to deter upward growth and hopefully land me with two colas

[​IMG][​IMG]

ok this plant is really getting on my tits it stilll aint quitting the flowering cycle just keeps getting better though im outta weed so it would be nice to have some.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. just abit of advise ...your pots there are too small & thats why they keep on developing those spots on the leaves ..."your plants are getting root-bound before going into flower"

iam sure you were noticing that the leaves were always hanging down at some point , until the plants went totally into the flower stage ....when the plant is in the flower stage ...it doesnt matter if it is root-bound as long it gets proper feeding & watering

more root space is always best for bigger yields ...but from a root-bound point of view ...it really doesnt matter ....so i suggest either flower from the seedling stage or transplant into bigger pots ....& iam sure you will never see those spots on your plants again

& you probably also dont realize , how much stress you are putting on the plants

peace John

19. Naw, I don't think the pots are causing the spots. I grow in small pots all the time and while I never get any spots, they do get quite root bound. Are you growing those flowering ones in the same room as that vegging ones? Please delete the multiple post.

20. Let me correct myself,
    John, you might be right about the pots and spots. When a plant that big is in such a small pot, the nutes in the soil are quickly consumed. If not enough nutrients are given or one type of nutrient is absent, the plant will very quickly show signs of trouble. Therefore, as we determined earlier, the deficiency is calcium which is either missing or in too low amounts and this is possibly exacerbated by the small pot size.