White Widow Auto CFL Custom Cabinet

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Tragidy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. #1 Tragidy, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
    Welcome friends and fellow blades! :hello:

This will be my very first grow after a VERY long time on planning, budgeting, moving, job switching...oh god the journey was rough lol!

On December 23rd I started on my custom cabinet. Measurements are 40in H x 40in W x 18in D. It has quite a few features that I had to ensure worked up to my high standards,

Countless threads lead me to make my carbon filter based around the design of one already posted here. http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/569506-diy-carbon-filter-compendium.html

Everything inside of the cabinet is caulked, sealed tight everywhere including the door with a nice airtight seal thanks to some weather stripping.

I have two 120mm Thermaltech fans inside. One is mounted on the wall with some holes drilled through the box with a light trap on the exterior wall. It is a nice small intake. But I find that I might need to cut out a large spot due to some higher temp issues recently.

I also have a 6in fan that I took from a junked desk fan and mounted to the upper wall. This gives a nice gentle breeze over the entire cab, including both plants and the light fixture.

If you had previously seen pics of my cabinet you wouldn't recognize it. I had a terribly cheap light fixture that housed 6 bulbs. Well, after much criticism I decided to tear it out and start over. Used 1in PVC piping to make a 12x24in rectangular light fixture. It holds 4 light socket fixtures, 2 of these have splitters. For Veg I will have 6 5000k 23w bulbs and 2 2300k 50w bulbs. At flower I will have just opposite 6 2300k 50w bulbs and 2 5000k 23w bulbs.

Ok enough of the cabinet (if you have any questions about how I did anything, feel free to ask, I can go more into a detailed how to build it if anyone wants as well)

The fun part! ;)

I will be doing two Seedsman White Widow Femenised. My medium is Fox Farms Ocean Forest in 3 gallon pots. Initially I will start off in some party cups, then switch over after I feel comfortable. I have the 3 combo pack of Fox Farms Nutrients as well that I will be using.

My light cycle will be 18/6 to start off and then once I go to flower I will be doing 12/12.

I will be doing LST training as well and try to start them off growing towards the center and once they reach the end of their respecive pots I will train them upwards hoping to conserve some of the space I have inside the cab.

This is a personal grow just for medicinal use, there will be no selling or anything so my harvest doesn't need to be massive. My goal is 2oz on the 2 plants within no more than 75 days. (75 days total! Cut, dried, cured for one week so I'd like them dried by the 68th day.)

Like I said these are just goals and we will see what happens. Hope to see you around, POLITE critisism is appreciated. Peace friends! :smoking:

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      169.2 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      169.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Day 1:
    1-10-13

Seeds came in today. Germinating the two white widows hopefully get results within a day or two. Ordered 5 Auto Lemon, 1 Critical #47, 2 AutoJack, 2 White Widow, 1 Purple Haze, 3 Guerilla Ryder from Attitude. Got the Wallet Option. Everything turned out great and showed up exactly 2 weeks later. Will update as soon as I see life!

3. looking good so far :) I wouldnt mind some more pics of your setup. I do like a good custom build! I wanna see how your White Widow grows and how uniform they are. Not much of a fan of auto's i dont trust their timing :)

4. Day 3:
    1-12-13

Got home late last night and saw that both of them had cracked and root tips were showing. It was great. One step down a million more to go lol! :eek:

Had them wrapped in about 4 paper towels that were pretty wet but not dripping inside of a tupperware and sealed up. Put it on my computer for a day and a half and they both look fine.

Put them into party cups with my Fox Farm Ocean Forest (90%) and some extra perlite for drainage (10%). Pre-Soaked all my soil for 15 minutes before I planted the seeds with the root tip facing down on both. Buried them a little less than an inch down and gently packed them in.

Strapped a Ziploc bag to the tops to keep moisture in. Their sitting in my case waiting to sprout now.

Also, StoneRoger here is a link to my original post, it has some pics of the progression of the box and some ideas and horribly random newbie questions from me while I was figuring out some details.

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1155782-cfl-stealth-cabinet-grow.html

If you want a spread of the interior I can post some pics of the inside of the cabinet as well. You WILL see duct tape. You WILL see Zip Ties. You WILL see flaws lol. It was totally handmade with spare lumber and very basic shop tools. Cost me about $350 bucks to make but it was worth it...well..that is to be seen! haha. Till next time :smoking:

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      117 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      140.1 KB
      Views:
  5. box looks good :) onward n upwards now :p

6. Thanks friend. I can see a problem in my near future though....Temps.

During the peak hours it sits around 88-90F so I need to adjust something. I personally don't think my 120mm exhaust fan is pulling enough air out. I do have the means to copy the filter exactly in a mirrored position to the first one. I think this week I will begin tinkering on it and if I can find a day where it is warm outside I can give the girls some natural light and go outside and work on the box some. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two to correctly drill, cut, position and mount everything correctly. Just gotta splice it into the current line or find a cell charger and power that one seperately. We will see soon.

7. where are you taking temp from?

8. The bottom. So yea the canopy is probably like 92, which is no bueno. I am going to leave the thermo at the top tonight and see what the temps are after I get home from work. I have great circulation in the cabinet with the 6in fan blowing around and it has 3 passive intakes and 1 forced intake.

I think I am going to try to make my intake bigger. If that works then cool, if not then I will add the second fan/filter combo. If that doesn't work then I hope White Widow likes a tan lol.

9. Day 4:
    1-13-13

Woke up this morning and one of my ladies had broke ground. The other one hasn't made a move yet but I am hoping it will get the idea soon!

Been trying to think of names and I am gonna go with Mary and Delilah.

We will call the early bloomer Mary and the late bloomer Delilah. Gonna make some little nametags for their cups tonight :cool:

Well, case is in full power and temps are high 70's to mid 80's. Still higher than I'd like but tomorrow will be the day to tinker on the case for a while. Gonna get those temps under control! Hopefully Delilah sees some light tonight. Cya soon blades! :wave:

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      185.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Day 5:
    1-14-13
    Remodel Day! Added my second carbon filter, it is mirrored directly next to my other one, each one of the fans is rated at 85 cfm. Now due to the fact that I have them spliced into the same 12v they are sharing power but even at that the cfm together should be decent enough to keep any smell out. Now most importantly it should be enough to pull more of the hot air that was building inside of the cabinet and safely vent it out the back.

Cut a perfectly 120mm hole behind the wall fan so it pulls fresh cool air at a full 85cfm into the cab as well as the two passive intakes still. Sadly, I haven't had a chance to make a light trap for the hole behind the fan so tonight the box will be a little less stealthy but it will be ok, its location is pretty discreet anyway.

Cleaned up a lot of the interior by replacing black duct tape with white, securing the power bar with velcro instead of tape and adding any support as needed. I also cleaned up some shoddy looking nails sticking out, long screws and flaws in the boards with the dremel and repainted the entire outside with a nice fresh coat of paint as well as some minor paint touch up on the interior.

I will be putting the box back into position soon, in about 2 hours it's technically nap time for the girls and I will be off to work but as soon as I get home the lights and fans will all be in a balanced temp so I can see how my tinkering worked today!
    Here is a few new pics to feast on.

Don't worry about those temps on the thermo in the pic. It was inside then outside in freezing cold 30 degree weather today so it is all messed up. I will have everything reset soon enough! Cya soon! I will update tonight on temps and then again tomorrow after I make the custom light traps.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      162.7 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      148.6 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      109.3 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      142.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      184.9 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      210.4 KB
      Views:
  11. #11 Tragidy, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
    Day 6:
    1-15-13

Well, came home last night and to my great pleasure temperatures were finally under control! A cool 73-75 Degrees through the night. :D

Got up this morning and that room is on the hottest end of the house with the sun rising in the morning. Even at that it topped out at 79!!! Fantastic news. about 30-45% Humidity as well so everything is looking great.

Moved the lights right about 2in away from the girls. Also, made some nametags for them and the grow. I plan on keeping a tag showing each strain that I successfully grow in the box. I hope eventually to have a whole wall full! :)

Got some pics of the girls, the light traps, the air port out the side which focuses the air being pulled in from the bottom of the cab away from where the exhaust is venting out the hot air.

Now it is the waiting game...and I don't like it!!! :mad:

Peace till next time :smoking:

PS: WHERE THE HECK ARE ALL THE PEOPLE?! I know it is just starting but no one interested in my poor little grow? Where's the love for stealth growers now-a-days GEEEEZ! It is because I said polite critism huh? Well, go ahead! BE RUDE! Tell me what I need to do! Lol Kidding but feel free to lemme know guys and gals! Much Love

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      156.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      164.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      207.8 KB
      Views:
  12. :) Your doing fine m8. It's not such a bad thing people are not posting much. . . its early days yet! lol who's gonna give criticism when there is nothing wrong with it :) as you progress people will pay more attention. Just keep doing what your doing :D

13. Day 10:
    1-19-13

Small update. Transplanted the girls a little earlier than originally planned. They seemed to be slowing in growth so I cut open Mary and sure enough the roots were just about to the bottom of the cup so went ahead and made the move over to their final 3.5 gallon pots.

They seem to love their new home, Delilah has shown a burst of growth over night with a third set of leaves coming in. Mary which originally was bigger than Delilah hasn't shown signs of the third set quite yet though. Their very perky, perfect color and looks like no shock took place on transplant. ;)

Couple pics of them, temps holding perfectly at 70-81F, humidity sits at 30-45%. Very cool and the breeze from the 6in fan is hitting them to give them a gentle rock back and fourth. Hopefully see some nice growth in the next 7-10 days so I can start a 1/4 nute schedule. Cya soon blades! :wave:

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      132.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      303.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      295.8 KB
      Views:
  14. looking good bro..

My box and your box look VERY similar!

youll do good for sure... keep up the good work.. and if you have question feel free to ask!

people dont really comment much unless theres a issue or a question, so remember that!

good looking plants though, goodluck

ps, check my grow out, link is in my sig, check the boxes :)

15. Hey gr8cropper! Thanks for stopping by friend. Yeah, I just wanna chat and theres nothing to chat about haha! Gonna go stop by your grow brother!

16. Haha Ill join in, i guess people just read and move on. I got a similar grow im working on now, we can help eachother succeed. Im in america having a time of my life growing indoors but i plan on planting 3/4 of my 20 young plants in the woods somewhere when the time is right.

17. great diy setup! excited for results!

18. Greetings yaredaya and kushybushy!
    Thanks for coming along for the ride. The girls are doing well did a good water two days ago and tomorrow will be the next good water. I think the following week on that Thursday I will start 1/4 nutes see what happens. Might post some pics today but will probably wait for tomorrow. It's kinda boring right now lol.

Been thinking about changing my setup in about six months and maybe moving the grow to the attic. If I plan correctly and take my time ill have a cabinet from a bathroom in my house that has a perfect three part system for a perpetual grow. Then I'd use my current cabinet for a mother possibly. All ideas that have been brewing. Also considering making an area up there for concocting my own soil. We shall see!

Cya soon blades keep blazin!:smoking:

19. im still waiting on my plants to sprout but im already thinkin about the coolness of perpetual grows. it May be in my future as well haha

20. Haha yea once you start the ideas just flood in on ways to improve. Really my current grow is perpetual for me. Ill be growing enough to last till the next harvest but a little more controlled cycle would be much better in my opinion.