White vs. Black Tray

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by baseballdaddy14, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Same question has been asked many times ad many many many poeple gave their opinions...

Base your decision off some of those comments

2. Some good points made there. For me if I was keeping the roots inside the pots then I'd go for white, but if the roots were going to grow out of the pot and therefore you would need a cover and would want the least amount of light in there as possible, then I'd go for a black.

3. Algae will grow like crazy in a white flood table if you let any light at all get to the inside surface, regardless of whether or not roots are growing out of the pots.

4. So I guess using algaecide is big NO NO ...
    Since nobody has mentioned it ???
    S

Tx

Algae will grow on a black surface as much as a white surface, you just won't be able to see it as easily

6. #7 str8jacket, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015

That is absolutely not true. More light reflection leads to more vigorous growing algae blooms.

I've used both black and white tables and the difference is like night and day. Algae grows in a white table at about 10x the rate it grows in a black table, with all else being equal. You can see algae in a black table just fine.

I have pulled long slimy algae blooms out of white tables.

7. So...I guess using an algaecide is a NO NO ??

s

tx

8. Anything that is good for plants is good for algae and anything that would kill algae would be unhealthy for plants (algae is aquatic plant life). All algae needs to thrive is decent light and water with some nutrients in it.

I used to grow in black trays without covering them, and just cleaning up the little bit of algae between grows. I tried doing that with a white tray once and I got massive algae blooms in the table. That is when I first started covering my tables, and I figured I'd cover the black ones too, so I wouldn't have to deal with any algae any more.

Just tiny cracks of light getting through the covers into a white table will cause algae growth that you won't get with black tables.

These were flowered in a black table with nothing to keep the light out of the table but the canopy (in a white table it would be full of algae).

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-medical-marijuana-growing/1356134-stem-crush-bending-training-no-strings-attached.html