White Russian Soil Grow, First grow x 4 seeds

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by cronic-illness, Feb 22, 2009.

1. my thoughts

you need to back your nutes down, your plants are telling you that you have found the fine line between burn and good (by looking at the very tips of all your leaves, new and old growth.) you can see the yellow tips and thats where it starts, it comes on as yellow, and will turn brown) perhaps only back down an 1/8 or 1/4 turn

the purple circles are definitely female. so great job!

the black circles have not shown sex yet.

as for dropping your light, i can see why you did it, because it looks like the last node set, did a little stretching, but how far did you drop it? sometimes you gotta lower it gradually. also that stretch may have put your plant where you needed to be under the light height wise and then you moved it down making it far too close. the burn job you did with the lights is no big deal, looks like theres more heat stress than light burn, a good cold watering and it should be fine, as long as you can keep your temps down. id hack that one fan leave thats burnt and curled

shits look good man!

2. #102 cronic-illness, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
    Cheers doinda great help again.

Nutes
    A full dosage of the nutes(on the back of the bottle) ive been giving them is 3ml for every litre.
    What I have been giving them as ive been feeding them with 2ml is 2.5ml - 3.0ml for the whole 2l then watering the four of them from a can.

Do you think knocking it back to 1.5ml is a good move, 1.5ml into 2L of water and from that water the four of them?

Is there a certain height you would recomend the light being for the rest of the growth? or does it have to be higher now than in flower? or can we keep it a set height from now on? I am going to draw a heighth chart behind the light for moving it up and down.

Seperate question, does the ammount of water you give them determine the lengths of the roots? i.e. if you are overwatering them the roots would be bigger?
    Do you think these pots are big enough to last all the way to the end?

Cheers, the outdoor 09 is looking pretty good also ill be keeping an eye on it

3. well said.....:D....yoda out

4. #104 doindia, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
    its nothing serious, id say whatever your giving them now knock that in half or maybe even just take a quarter of it out. under nuting your plant is FAR better than over nuting/burning it. necrotic foilage can NOT be brought back to life, but deficiencies are noticable and treatable generally with ease (and deficiencies rarely ever happen unless someone is NEVER feeding their plants or you have a "lockout" problem caused by ph

your light will be constantly moving upwards as your plants move upwards. iirc your using a 400w hps, so for the last pics you posted i could see it being maybe a foot above it (that could be off. how far is it from it now?) you ALWAYS want to adjust your light as close to the plants as it can get without burning them. just use the back of your hand not your palm. stick it above your plants and under the light for about 30 seconds if it starts to warm up on your hand (it should never be hot enough to burn you, so i say warm!) then its too close.

the amount of water your giving them does have something to do with the roots to some degree. however you have it a little backwards OVERWATERING will cause your roots to be smaller. plants have instinct like a wild animal. and that instinct tells them when they dont feel water around the roots, that the roots need to stretch/dig for water, because thats what they would do outdoors. the deeper you go in the earth the better chance for water/wet dirt. over the billions of years the plants have learned this! if you overwater them the roots are covered in water at all times and it forces them to be lazy and not stretch as hard if that makes sense. with that said you never want to under water your plants, you just wanna find that happy medium

how big are your pots (not in litres because i suck at conversions haha) how many gals? also to answer your questions you need to let us know how long you wanna grow these or what your goals are. how big you want the plants etc... :smoking:

perhaps you could take a picture of your pots next to a common object for a size reference.

5. Right update, havent had a cam recently but here they are.

The suspected male in the last post is now a female 100%.
    Someone pointed out when i posted pics of it that it wasa a female.
    The bigger plant got burnt so i had to chop alot of leaves off as they were just shrivling up and falling off.

All four had nute burn so I have stopped giving them nutes for a week, flushed 2 of them, the 2 that were alot worse. going to wait a week and start nutes again from small dosage up.

Ph is in the desired range and were now on 24hour cycles.

At the moment.
    Our Ju(female)
    Dildo Dan(female)
    Bermos Ma(no signs)
    Chip(no signs)

Stay tuned..

All feedback welcome good or bad!

Attached Files:

6. continued

Attached Files:

7. it would be in your best interest to get sometime to test the ph runoff if you dont have it. you could be dealing with a lockout problem judging by your pics, your fighting heat problems as well as it appears you have a mag deficiency, if you flushed the plants on their next watering feed them anywhere from 1/8-1/4 dose nutes hopefully that will clear up your mag def, if not you could have some lockout issues.

good luck

8. Hi Doinda,

First of all have been having net issues so cudnt post back quickly enough.

Fixed now, cheers for the quick response.
    I have ph tests for the run off done, initially they were at 8.0 I have got them down using ph down. they are now in the 6.4 - 7.0 region. I should leave them there at this range?

The magnesium deficiency? I was wondering what that stuff on there leafs was.
    How do i get rid of this? just by giving them nutes?

I am going to start on small nutes tomorow again, can you tell me how often i should give them nutrients? and how often a week should i give them nutes? im thinking 3 times a week?

Cheers

9. #109 doindia, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
    yeah 8 is super high 7 is a little high side but as long as it does not go over that you should be fine (sometimes is strain specific and some can deal better than others) but youd like to keep your ph 6.3-6.8 with 6.5 being ideal. however after hearing your PH was 8 it makes me wonder about the mag def because generally mag is locked out by low ph's ie 2-5.9 either way its what it looks like to me. Mg can get locked out by having too much Calcium, Chlorine or ammonium in your soil/water. so your best bet is to find another water source for the time being. if they were my plants id buy RO water its like 75 cent a gallon, so a twenty spot would set you straight for much longer than you should even need.

also it could just be that you flushed your plants and havent given them any nutrients and the plant is just starting to show a few diff def's when was the last time they got nutes, id probably water with 1/4 strength nutes on your next watering as for how much how often, its simple every OTHER watering use your nutes. so you might nute once or twice a week 3 times is too much. depending on how many times you water. i cant see you watering those things 6 times a week. mine get nutes about 1.5 times a week 3 times every 2 weeks. as for how much, look on the box or bottle you bought and mix that suggestion up 1/4 strength to start. 1/4 nutes-freshwater-1/2 nutes-freshwater-3-4 nutes-freshwater- whole nutes-freshwater if at any point your plants show nute burn back it down. like ive said time and again people think nutes are like steroids but they can hinder a LOT more than they can help if you dont use them right.

as for fixing a mag def, usually your average nutes will clear it up, if your nutes are lacking in Mg then you can use a teaspoon of epsom salt per gallon of water and it will clear it up. i do however suggest you worry less about the mg def and get your ph/nute mixture/schedule right and it could very well clear its self up.

also how did you test your ph did you do a run off test, testing the ph of the water coming out of the bottom of the pot? what type of meter are you using to see your ph and what has been your method thus far.

10. Great post again cheers

Nutes, I havent given them nutes in a week but tonight i gave them 1/4 dose after reading this.

Problem is ok, I actually water them 14 times a week currently. only small waterings though. twice a day. 12 hours apart.

I am really going to look at doing it once a day, hopefully tomorow Ill have a schedule in place. I am going to work one out.

I read about the epsom salt, cuz ive been browsing around the net and seen it suggested. I might try it on the small one cuz hes not doing well at all as you can see from the pics.

I went looking for white russian plants with the same problems I am having, found this check it out http://www.420magazine.com/forums/completed-journals/67269-white-russian-soil-grow-seeds-13.html

11. Wow that's a beautiful plant. I can't wait to try some white russians. I hear the smoke is the bomb.

Keep at it!

~kali

song of the day: Tom Sawyer by Rush
    bud of the day: Lowryder 2
    mood: giggly

12. Cheers Kali, Dildo dan is the one I hope hes looking unreal, three of them have turned out to be females.
    Chip, Our Ju & Dildo dan.

Meant to say I topped Our Ju and that seems to be going very nicely. I will post pics of it in a day or two.

Doinda i posted back to you in my previous post.

13. #113 doindia, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
    i wouldnt add any salts at this point because if its lockout adding more salts can mess it up as for your watering id stop that schedule what size pots are you in? i would water until the soil is saturated and leave them be for 1.5-2 days. look on your veg nutes and see if they have any MG if they do (most do) it should clear up the problem. it could also be an odd looking N problem it just comes across in the pics as a Mg def, truth be told it could be a few all mixed up. your main concern at this point should be using ph corrected water and getting your ph set

even if your correcting your water with a ph down it does not matter if thats not whats coming out of the pot. ie- if your pot/soil has a ph of 10 and your adding 6.5 then your ph wont be 6.5 it will be higher like 8-9 so you need to check the run off. what kinda veg nutes you using anyway?
    i wouldnt sweat it, youll get it figured out its nothing to lose sleep about but theres no need to water a plant of that size with that root system twice a day, or even once a day seems like a lot. the soil needs a chance to dry up so the roots can stretch looking for water (not dry up as in dust just not be saturated all the time or every few hours) theres also a chance that your not giving it enough water even though your doing it every couple hours. if your just pouring it in around the stem in small amounts it may not be reaching many of the roots that grow to the bottom/outside of the pot. my plants are HALF that size i water evenly until a small amount of water is coming out of the bottom of the pot and then let it dry up for about 2 days.

dont forget just because the top layer of soil looks dry dosent mean the roots are dry, that just comes from the light being on them all day with pots your size i couldnt imagine watering more than once every day or two

also i didnt read that whole page you sent but that guy seems to be having issues aside from nute burn unlike a few said. even though a couple of the pics COULD be nute burn, nute burn starts at the very tips of the leaves, turning yellow then brown if its enough to burn them badly. not spotted throughout the leaf like in picture 5,7 etc

i think if you can get your ph run off to about 6.5ish and cut back on your watering schedule and dose your nutes right your plant will work out its kinks, its not rocket science although i know it can be worrisome. ive been there. hind sight is 20/20!

14. Im going to need to get some pics up, the rustyness has gotten worse and theres kind of brown spots appearing on some leaves, top ones too.

I read the back of my nutes bottle and it doesnt list magnesium on the back of it.
    However same brand nutes the bloom nute has magnesium on the back of it.

I am getting worried now its gotten a good bit worse. will get pics up tomorow.
    They are on 3/4 dose nutes now and are scbeduled for fjull nutes tomorow.
    I changed to bottled water too.

15. #115 cronic-illness, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
    Anyone...? this is getting serious. they are in a bad way today.

We are now thinking about pushing forward the epsom salts and giving them a teaspoon tonight.
    You would have to see them. one plant has gone in 5 days. from 5% leaf coverage to at least 40% which have a decent bit of rustyness on them.

Please advise

16. Something must happen at about this age. My grow is having heat issues all of a sudden. Nothing's been changed in about a month. Did you put it on the sick plants forum?

17. Hi Kreen M last time i checked in with u , they were overwattered, sorry i havent checked in since been having internet issues. hopefully resolved now.

I didnt know there was a sick plants forum, i will have a look for it and add them in str8 away.

Cheers for the tip

18. still need pics 9/10 mg def will cause no rusty spots only yellow outerleaf/leaf margins

have you gave any nutes?

19. I gave them nutess as instructed, 1/4 water 1/2 water 3/4 water FULL dose, the last of the schedule is tonight. Im planning on just water tonight too. good idea?

20. just keep with the schedule i guess, its hard to tell without pics/ knowing your ph, it could be the plants not liking the soil etc... many things, could be your nutes your using. what is the NPK?