White Russian Soil Grow, First grow x 4 seeds

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by cronic-illness, Feb 22, 2009.

1. If the plant is small already, it may be stunted in some way, it may react to nutes badly then. Not a good judge for the rest if they're stronger.

As regards strength, my nute bottle says to add 2-5ml per litre, pretty big range, first time a add about .5 to 1ml depending on how strong the plants are looking.

The pH needs to be checked before going into the plants and again needs to be monitored after through the runoff. The runoff is a bit more advanced, worry about the rest before doing this, its important but get the rest right first would be my opinion worry about the runoff after youve everything else youve dialled in. Be cautious with your nutes at the start till you get familiar with how they work, then you can start experimenting.

2. #42 doindia, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
    i completely disgaree with your nutrient usage, the ONLY way i would start nutes is if they are 100% organic even then i wouldnt do it.

that plant is too small/young for them in my opinion, since youve raise your light up the plant should stretch it wings and show nice growth in the next week or two then i would start the nutes.

usually you dont want to start nutes until the cotyledon has yellowed or fell off, and if it has done that already you probably need to change your soil haha!

also when you do start you want to start at 25% strength i still however think your getting ahead of yourself with the nutes. many people think some nutrients will cause an explosion of growth but it will do more harm than not if you dont handle it right.

3. Couldnt have put it better myself baby, an explosion of growth. thats exactly what i envisage them doing, to be honest I cant fu cking wait lol

I take all the advice onboard and im probably 4days/7days/10days at least away :O need to get my digital ph tester before anything like that.

Cotledon? dunno what that is

there turning out to be real badass all the same :D

4. Cotledon = round pre-leaves

5. Ok heres an update theres leaves shooting out of everywhere now, i included some of the room size and fan etc for grim as requested!

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

6. More.

Attached Files:

7. This is a bit concerning, on one of my best plants there is a small rusty looking circle on one of the 2 original leaves. is this normal? I have doubled there water recently.
    Or else im thinking its some kind of burn

Attached Files:

8. Looks like some sort of burn. But who knows, cut back on their water and watch um.

9. Maybe a little nute burn. Or a drop of water left on leave from watering. Hard to tell pics are fuzzy at best. How does new growth look ok?

10. #50 doindia, Mar 2, 2009
    that has NOTHING to do with your watering schedule, as for now do not cut back on your watering, your plants are showing no signs of over water. its just your soil/ph. your not giving it any nutes are you? are there time release nutes in the soil? what soil are you using and what all does it say on the bag?

its more than likely a ph/soil problem and nothing to be worried about at this time.

EDIT it could also be a drop of water left on the plant like nuggz said but again more than likely what i said above.

11. #51 cronic-illness, Mar 2, 2009
    Jesus man, i just realised this morning when i wattered them on that exact leaf i spilt a drop :/ i was going to say that but i thought there was no way that could be it.

Cheers for the response guys, hang around.

And of course the ever reliable dolinda cheers m8

no nutes yet, im going to get my kit for testing etc on the weekend so its not even an option till then, i will be waiting for feedback before nuting too.

That fuc king plant in the green pot is pissing me off how come hes so fing small????? the leaves arent actually getting any bigger even though hes still sprouting new sets. :/

Soil makeup for thos who asked, 4pt topsoil, 1pt moss peat, 1pt vermiculite, 1pt perlite
    Made a point of staying away from time released fert soil, well tryed to neway
    Can someone clear something up for me, another dumb Q, when ppl say fertilize ur plants ev 2 weeks.
    do they mean nutrient them? does it do the same thing?

If not an explanation would be great Cheers

12. #52 doindia, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
    well to start with yes the drop of water on your leaf will act as a magnifying glass and can burn it. dont rule out your soil/ph however just keep an eye on it.

as for your nutes if those were my plants, they wouldnt get a drop of nutes for another 2 weeks AT LEAST some plants can go a month. people get it in their head that nutes are like steroids for plants, that may be true but anyone who knows steroids knows if you fuck up your cycle and or use too much or too little and they become harmful/useless.

as for the people who say fert every two weeks thats just ridiculous perhaps 2 weeks is the schedule some people are on, but when giving nutes there are a couple simple rules.

1. start at 25% strength (chemical nutes) and 50% strength (organic nutes) then work your way up
    2. feed your plants every OTHER watering. ie fresh water let it dry up, nute water, let it dry up, fresh water etc... now if that so happens to be every two weeks then sobeit, but it could be one week could be 3 weeks (many things come into play ie how big your pot is, and how much water it can hold or how long it can stay wet/damp. could also have to do with drainage proper drainage holes perlite etc... also heat in your grow room how hot and quick it dries your soil up the list goes on. just follow rule 1 and 2 and you will be fine. to answer your question yes, nutes and ferts mean the same thing.

quick run down of nutrients
    N-P-K nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium

in veg you want a higher nitrogen this promotes vegetative growth (all the green leaves, nodes, sprouts) so something like 10-10 10, 20-20-20 or 15-10-20 (those are just numbers i threw out dont go look for those) what people dont understand is nutrients are all about ratios and in veg you want your N to be high as or higher than your PK

in flower you want to drop your N because you dont want veg growth anymore, you dont want "LEAFY" bud, you want huge buds in this case you like to see your nitrogen HALF of your Phos. ie 4-8-6, 5-10-10 etc... like i said dont pay as much attention to the numbers as you do the ratios.

as for your green pot, some plants are slow starters. its been a personal experience of mine that the extremely vigorous growing plants always seem to turn out to be the males.

lastly and this is off the books but if your plant continue the small growth and perhaps more spots pop up, id change the soil. i had the WORST time a few years back with some plants in this "organic" soil i was using. new growth was green, but the lower leaves yellowed, it just wasnt healthy. i transplanted into another store brand bag of soil, and they EXPLODED. im going to confess... it was miracle grow. i dont necessary promote this, but i wont lie. MG saved that grow :(

some soils are better for seeds, some soils are better for cuttings(clones) etc... just fish around for something they like, grab a bag here and there (its only like 7 bucks) and see what they like. (this last part is strictly what i did a few grows back to solve my problem i wouldnt even consider it until you have an established problem.)

i will however link you to "imstoned's" grow and you can see the growth he is having from a dinky little 120w CFL perhaps use the timeline to compare, HPS can be kinda hard on seedlings, but once they get started and catch on, they should grow very vigorously. if they dont something needs to be changed.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/341552-new-grow-come-follow-me-6.html

good luck :smoking:

13. Thats a brilliant post response, thanks alot m8.
    The real work will start on the weekend, i wont be around till then as im studying hard for an exam.
    Ill touch base with you guys in a few days, i will have cashflow then.
    Im just going to keep doing exactly what im doing now for the moment.

Cheers

14. #54 The Grim Reefer, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
    He is using 100% organic nutes. Also adding at a .5ml per litre is dosing at a 10% solution, he's using the same nates, roughly as me, i know myself that at this concentration, he wont burn the plants, if he nutes, waters, nutes, waters.

Seedlings can take some nutes pretty much straight away but obviously they cant be in as strong a concentration .... instead of starting your nute solution off at 50% why not start it off at a much lower percentage and have the plants feeding from earlier.... personally i've never seen any detremental effects. Im not talking about as soon as they pop above ground, but i dont see the point in waiting weeks.

Like i said though, its one of those subjects people will disagree on, like paper towel or straight into soil, is sex pre determined etc etc. Do what works for u, be cautious at the start then experiment when you feel confident.

As for the miracle grow soil, i would imagine it was because the plant had already become established, that the nutes in the MG soil only helped it.

Lovin the update cronic m8, glad to see ol blacky propped up again :). What setting is that fan on and how long do u have it running for ?

15. Whats the craic man i have the fan running non-stop on full wack seems to be keepin the temp at constant of around 25-28C seems to be growin just fine just got a bit of a scare with hole in the leaf but has to of been the drop of water on the leaf tho!

gettin paid on thursday so goina buy a ph tester and then ill decide if ill start with the nuites, see how things go!

Ill post up some new pics on friday with a good camera cas them last pics are blurey as fuck and you cant really see anything!

Cheers for the help!:smoking:

16. lookin good chron:hello: im new to the game as well, youre about 2-3 days aheard of me in my frist grow. Im using a 250MH tho, readin this journal gives me hope and gives me an idea of what to expect in terms of growth. Have you decided what nutes to use yet? Check out BMO (blue mt organics) on ebay, ive been reading up and a lot of people love this stuff, and its CHEAPPPP as well as organic. Ima keep my eye on this. Hey if you get a chance sometime stop by the journal in my sig, just getting started, but as you know were both in the waiting phase I JUST WANT THEM TO HURRRRRRYYY:devious::smoking:

17. Reading through the grow journal and stumbled upon your info here DoIndia and i found it very imformative m8:D im startin up my first grow too stop by and check it out sometime. Should be down here in my SIG. Once again good lookin on the info about Nutes. You already helped 2 people, deserves a +rep if ya ask me:smoking::smoking:

18. #58 doindia, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2009
    sure ill agree to disagree and im not saying what your doing with your plants is wrong, but easing into nutes (on your first grown) is ALWAYS a good idea. also the same solution as you really means nothing. every seed, every strain could act differently, ie blueberry, white widow are two that are very nute picky. whatever works for your plants (and im sure it works for your plants) may not work for the next. i see you have a couple grows under your belt. once that is the case you dont have to "go by the book" i remember YEARS ago my first grow, it damn near kept me awake at night if id see a spot on my plants, but you learn a lot throughout grows to the point i dont even look at mixtures. i just pour, add water and im done.

chronic- even though i still think you should wait on the nutes i DO feel better knowing your 100% organic!

glad i could help you lifted, i remember back when i was in your shoes and things werent clear. in the end youll look back and see how much you worried for nothing, its so simple once you get the hang of it and learn the right ways to do things. were all here for the same reason and im willing to help anyone who isnt stubborn (not that ill be mad if you dont take my advice) but people like chronic who are eager to learn and take critisism are the ones who deserve the time!

19. #59 lifted.again, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2009

Oh yeah man i definitely have seen a bunch of people on here completely disregard things just because it wasnt what they wanted to hear. Im here to learn and take any advice thrown my way. I realize there are also multiple ways to do everything and there are always different opinions but thats never reason not to listen, different situations call for different things. Sometimes individuals need to use their own discretion to pick what is right for them, and just store the other information incase that situation comes up later. Ill take whatever ya got to offer, everything helps.

edit:: didnt mean to interrupt the post (oops)

20. Point well put and taken india m8, its true i dont really follow a set method any more, just guage for myself, I'm on my own 3rd grow, but have been party to a good few more, with others i know. You'll be surprised lads how quick you'll find yourself going from "should i" to "im gonna". Plus contrasting opinions on how to grow are good, provided both ways work, hopefully that'll encourage experimentation when the grower feels able, and will lead to better understanding :D