White powdery spots on some leaves...

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by leftisright, Jan 25, 2010.

1. #1 leftisright, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
    I have found a few spots of this white powdery, almost webbish looking matter on a few leaves on my two females who are about two weeks into flowering. I have looked around for awhile and found nothing similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Under a 20x scope, it looks sort of like a web or fibreglass. I cannot find any insects or mites on the plants.

Forgot to add: indoor CFL LST soil grow

Attached Files:

2. if im not mistaken that looks to be a spider mite infest. i noticed some smaller white dots around the leaves also.... have you looked underneath the leaves?

3. How is the Humidity in the grow area?
    Do you have air flowing past the plants at all times?
    What sort of ventilation setup are you using?
    Do you mist the plants often?
    Welcome to GC!

4. Are there any dying spots under any of the white fuzz yet?I didn't get too far into the spider mites,I caught em while the plants were small.Mine were already making a meal out of the leaves as soon as the micro silvery pearl/beads appeared.I believe they were the eggs.I saw them under a 200x Magnifier, the few mites I saw were gray.There were definitely signs of leaf consumption in my case.

5. I cannot find any mites on the undersides of the leaves, so I am worried that it might be some kind of mold or fungus. There is a vent fan that runs when the light is on, the humidity is around 80, and temps are 80 day/ 60 night. I only noticed this for the first time yesterday, and I do a pretty good inspection every day. Like I said, I've looked high and low and not found anything like it. Do the mites have a tendancy to hide during the light hours? Should I be misting the plants every day or so?

* Basementninja, thanks, that looks exactly like what I have, only not as severe*

6. way too humid for flowering, my friend. my guess would be mold.

7. Yes, and I would only mist every few days, if that.Definitely not before the dark period, I would do it at the beginning of the light period,if at all.Try to keep the breeze going through the entire plant at all times.If you use any chemicals I would use a diluted solution.Good Luck.

8. If you have mites, they would be pissed about the mold.I used a 3 in 1 spray & it took care of my mites.But also takes care of fungus and molds...I don't think I needed the full strength, curled some leaves.Try not to get any chems in the res.The roots wont like it.

9. its hard to recover from, had it happen during my last grow, and that stuff sticks around. better off just killing the plant instead of trying to fix it imo, but ive heard some people have had success with the milk method and baking soda method

10. Thanks for the info, everyone. I did a milk solution mist last night, it looks better today. I'll do another tomorrow, and bring the humidity down. Again, thanks for all the help!