WHITE NOISE to MASK FAN NOISE !

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SOGLAD, Jul 2, 2010.

1. #1 SOGLAD, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
    "WHITE NOISE"

I was concerned about the sounds of my new, larger exhaust fans. I had to think about finding some way to "mask" that constant noise from the neighbors.

I had a "Dream Machine" (a multi-sound generating device) that I bought some time ago at a yard sale. Other manufactures have similar 'sleep machines' too.

I first installed my Machine outside and I made sure my Machine was weather protected. Install the machine outside somewhere between your fan exhaust and your neighbors. You may need a extension cord if you don't have a convenient AC outlet outside?*

Turn your Machine on and select
    "BABBLING BROOK". That sound mimics "WHITE NOISE" very well. Now over a few days slowly turn it up just enough to "mask" the fan noise and no higher. Now I know my fans are running, but I have to really listen to hear it. Now my backyard sounds like a babbling fountain is gently running 'somewhere' and my neighbors love it ~ I do too!

A easy way to test if this approach is good for your needs is to get a used FM radio and tune it
    between stations where a similar "WHITE NOISE" is heard! Don't pick on a ratty portable, but try to use a smaller desktop radio. A FM radio with tone control is even better so you can tailor your 'brook' for best sounds. This approach should serve you well too. If you are satisfied with the approach, you may want to invest in a 'real' sleep machine... the choice is yours!

Also important ~ No matter what you do, keep your equipment dry.

I remain,

SOGLAD

*NOTE: What I actually did was to unplug the Machine, remove 3 screws and I drilled one hole in the plastic body just big enough for the smallest speaker wire I could find.

I soldered the 2 speaker wires to the internal speaker and added a simple knot in the wire to help keep the speaker wire from pulling out. I ran the speaker wire outside to my new speaker up perched up in a eave under the roof line. I picked on a smaller inexpensive speaker to compliment the high-frequency part of the sound(s).
    Once I had the wire and speaker this less than 15 minutes to complete.

The eaves added sound depth and dispersion. You may not choose to go through this kind of effort, but so far this very inexpensive project is serving me extremely well!

I bought my sound machine for $4 used. Check eBay for: "sleep sound machine". Or, place a ad on CraigsList looking for a used one.