White House secretly harvesting Facebook Comments?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Lets start with; they work for us, and its a waste of fucking time?

Secondly, it's incrementalism.

2. Ok so it started with 'its unconstitutional' and 'desperate' now its

'they work for us'
    'its a waste of time'

and

'incrementalism'

You know what I call incrementalism? A slippery slope argument. THeir indexing their facebook comments one day, the next day their reading everyone's e-mail!

Dude, get a fucking grip. Do you really think the twitter/facebook comments that people are WILLFULLY leaving on White House pages are really even that important? All things considered, do you really think it takes a lot of time/money to do it? They probably have 1 guy, or 1 techie that does it, and even then he probably has a script that checks it for keywords like "kill" or "murder" "bomb" "terrorist attack" and then indexes and sorts them accordingly.

But you're right, this is one step away from them burning our individual liberties.

Man, get real.

3. No more clinging to facebook.

Back to my bible and guns.

4. It still is unconstitutional, buddy. If you read my other post, which you ignored, I already said constitutionality isn't my argument. The constitution doesn't mean anything to you people today.

Even the original post only mentions how this is unnecessary, and another display of government waste. Nothing about the constitution.

Don't know where you got desperate from, though.

I'll repost from the post you ignored:

I have a psychological disorder where I see everything done by the state as either a deliberate attempt to waste money or a favor to special interests. They have consistently shown NOT to have our best interests in mind.

This is at the very least data-mining for marketing the Administration, which I don't want to pay for.

5. Why don't they just make a fuckin account?

Instead, our tax dollars are going to pay for some dumbasses to copy and paste a shit-ton of "I had fun last night"s and "I'm so drunk"s.

Idiocracy.

6. Now-a-days, people are just looking for shit to bitch about.

I quit this thread. :wave:

"I don't believe someone simply decided to start monitoring comments "out of an abundance of caution". This is coming from the same White House that asked supporters to send in the emails and comments of dissenters, the same White House that calls half of the country "Right wing terrorists"."

Oh ok, you explained that well enough, I can totally see how this facebook/myspace indexing has GOT TO STOP!

Morons.

7. #27 aaronman, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2009

Yea, no shit. :rolleyes:

What is this "compelling need" that has convinced Obama to lift the ban on tracking visitors to government websites?

"We're from the government, and we're here to help!" lol.

You gotta chill out buddy. A state shill armed with ad hominem is not conducive to healthy debate.

8. "You gotta chill out buddy. A state shill armed with ad hominem is not conducive to healthy debate."

Go fuck yourself, hows that for ad hominem?
    Give me a break dude, take your high-school debate club antics somewhere else, this thread/your arguments are a complete waste of time.

LOL So now the White House wants to track the people that goto its website? How many OTHER entitys with websites do that? Countless... But the moment the government gets tech savvy, it's just impeding constitutional rights and slowing taking away individual liberties.

Dude, I've said it once, and I'll say it again.

Get real. :wave:

9. I agree with Lacan, and I'll just say this:

What did you guys think would happen with more transparency in the government?

We dig our own graves.

10. #30 Lacan, Sep 3, 2009
    "You gotta chill out buddy. A state shill armed with ad hominem is not conducive to healthy debate."

Go fuck yourself, hows that for ad hominem?
    Give me a break dude, take your high-school debate club antics somewhere else, this thread/your arguments are a complete waste of time.

LOL So now the White House wants to track the people that goto its website? How many OTHER entitys with websites do that? Countless... But the moment the government gets tech savvy, it's just impeding constitutional rights and slowing taking away individual liberties.

Dude, I've said it once, and I'll say it again.

Get real. :wave:

p.s. You've got ad hominem in your faggot debate club arsenal, how about Ambiguity, invalid argument form, inductive reasoning, slippery slope, straw-man and post hoc argo hoc?

Yeah yeah yeah, anyone who's taken formal or informal logic knows the game. That doesn't take away from the fact that the whitehouse has done countless things wrong, this not being one of them. There is nothing unconstitutional about it, you know it, I know it, and your last argument amounted to, "Its unconstitutional, buddy... because i said so."

It IS constitutional because the White House is an entity that participates with social networking websites under their EULA and terms of conditions. OF WHICH INCLUDE the ability to index your own comments and messeges.

They are an entity which hosts their OWN server, with thier OWN domain, and as a result they are legally allowed to monitor all traffic to their servers. The same way google monitors all traffic through THEIR servers. So Google does it, its ok. The whitehouse does it, its unnecessary spending/impeding rights/taking away individual liberties.

Man, this is a fucking episode of Glenn Beck all over again.
    Dude, ah fuck it, its not like you're even going to respond to what I've said, you'll just strawman everything I said and tell me to stop with the ad hominem.

Latin makes you cool.
    Go back to school.
    You're a fool.
    Tool. :smoking: :wave:

edit. If you think archiving facebook/twitter comments and monitoring traffic is data mining for advertisment purposes for the administration, then you've just reaffirmed my little poem there at the end. If they wanted to data mine, they'd do like they've been doing, and use google/yahoo/msnbc/cnn, where they have USEFUL data to mine. Besides most of the comments on the website are from "Constitutional Watchdogs" like yourself, so I dunno, considering how you guys have a pretty good grasp on everything, I'm sure those twitter/facebook comments are chalked full of useful information, advertising tips, and campaign tools. ^_^

Also, look at my signature to know what face I was making throughout that post.

11. #31 aaronman, Sep 3, 2009

This whole site is technically a waste of time, if you don't like the discussion just give your opinion. I'm down to here it. The way you came into this you were obviously looking to insult people and start a confrontation. That's fine if the topic insulted you, but IMO you would have been better off toning down the disgust/rage whatever you feel towards the conspiratorial mindset.

So why was the ban lifted on tracking? Honestly, what good is it for? Why are we paying more so that they can track where we come from and go to when visiting their website?

The difference between private and public, as I'm sure you know, is that we pay for public. I don't care what google does with their data.

And I never got your opinion on why you feel its necessary to contract a research team to compile and analyze posts from a white house webpage?

I'll admit the thread title makes it seem conspiratorial, and you really hit the ground running when you came in here. Racy thread titles attract more people.

edit: if any of this is for marketing, that is unethical. We have one of the most partisan administrations in history using public money to strengthen their grip on voters. What was the Watergate scandal all about again?

12. #32 Lacan, Sep 3, 2009
  13. What is the file attachment?

And I wasn't kidding you, the Federal government has no authority. Every program or power the Federal government has that isn't listed in the constitution is illegal. Just because the private sector can legally do something does not mean the public sector can.

But this was not why I started the thread, I started it opposing this peculiar advancement in data mining from a fiscal perspective. The US is broke, so I make a lot of threads about expanding waste in government.

Am I dodging something still?

14. What are they going to do next god damn.

Watch us whipe our own asses because people "hide drugs" up there...Wouldn't put it passed them.

15. #35 edward, Sep 3, 2009
    Actually, that's true, too. Gmail DOES read all your e-mail, supposedly so that the ads are relevant to your interests. Right. :rolleyes: I think you make an unnecessary distinction between the government and corporations... they have been on the same team since the industrial revolution.

P.S. I thought the White House was reading everybody's Facebook comments... but indexing their own STILL isn't within the grounds of what a government is intended to do. Propaganda is a lot easier to produce when you have a profile of dissent.

Aaronman raises a good point:

16. LOL @ those who actually believed in "change"

17. After analyzing the fiscal impact, what did you find? Is it significant?

18. We don't know how much it will cost yet, but everything is significant. Even if it were only $100,000 that could be used to feed a dozen families for a year.

How much waste are you fine with?

19. Wait, aren't you Canadian?

20. Connecticut is a state of the US, right above New York and below Massachusettes. :p