White Guilt: How Blacks and Whites Together Destroyed the Promise of the Civil Rights Era

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NorseMythology, Jun 16, 2020.

1. I think this is a great lecture, and so apt for our time, I couldn't help but spread it. I hope some of you watch it and respond.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I saved the video to watch later. It's way too long to watch at work lol.

Today's Forcast... Partly Cloudy With A Chance Of Amber.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. If and when you do, lmk what you think

• Like Like x 1
  4. I read the book a number of years ago but will check the talk out later but I don't think there's going to be anything in same that's different. I've to do a bit of driving later so I'll play it in the car and get back to you.

I must note though that Steele's shilling for Israel is difficult to look past but I'll try and listen with objective ears.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I never heard of him before and he didn't mention Israel in this talk that I recall.

6. He's obviously a very intelligent chap and a good speaker, he's wrote a number of books including an infamous one about Trump pre election in which he predicted Trump could not get elected.

I listened to the talk and while he does raise some interesting points I think his very conservative beliefs are blinding him somewhat to the reality that slavery might have ended technically but it was replaced by a prison system that has been developed to subdue and restrain the very people who are the ancestors of former slaves.

7. There is no prison system in the U.S. that is developed for subduing ancestors of former slaves.

Sheesh!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The US is home to 5% of the world's population but has 25% of the world's prisoners.

Blacks were caged for ridiculous/menial offences after slavery was abolished, slavery was replaced with prison.

9. There's no white people in prison?

10. Examples of the “ridiculous menial offenses”?

j

• Like Like x 1
  11. Excuse me because I’m only just jumping in here and havent read backwards yet - but this fella is intelligent but predicted Trump could not get elected?

You need to keep up with modern statistics. While yes, it appears that blacks are definitely more likely to be imprisoned than whites (and again, on which charges? Most folks dont go to prison for no reason) - It also seems that imprisonment rates for ALL have been on a rapid decline for some time now - literally 1/3 less in the last 12-15 years.

Cite - and with the actual data coming from tge US Bureau of Justice Statistics - Black imprisonment rate in the U.S. has fallen by a third since 2006

12. i dont think there's any good argument that can be made that the US "justice system" is evenly balanced in ANY respect. i've never been in court on a criminal matter but i have had many visits on civil matters. my wife and i refer to courtrooms as "the devil's playground" - they're terrifying experiences. my personal learned experience in civil court matters is, money talks and the other side loees. i'm sure it's much worse for poor, disenfranchised, people because when you lose those cases you go to jail or prison.

it's a huge business locking people up. it must change. i could tell a few stories about young people being arrested on bullshit felony charges many of which resulted in years in state prison forever screwing them from ever getting a leg up afterwards. felony convictions really, really, make life hard forever after. and you know what? "forever" is a long, long, time.

13. that is an argument that can not be won jerry. the history on this topic is long and fairly well documented. i haven't done tye research but if things are "now better" for people of color and incarceration then that has only come about at best in just the last decade.

MONEY! it is the ONLY way to get a "free ride". i've never ever seen one seen one ounce of compassion by a judge against a defendant for anything. that's just my observation.

ommv.

14. #14 forty winks, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    I haven't read this thread so forgive me if I'm missing the target but just going on the title I don't think guilt is a good motivator for long term and sustainable change. I know from personal relationships it can work for a time but eventually it falls down and breaks into many little pieces, just like Humpty Dumpty did. And nobody wants to invoke all the king's horses and all the king's men to put it all back together again.

15. I completely agree on that ($$) - but at least the prison inmate population overall seems to have dropped by 1/3 over the last 15 years - seems like a great big deal/win to me.

As far as the “menial offenses go, I honestly havent looked into any of it but I’m really curious as to whT these actual offenses are - whether it be for a white black or purple with pink polka dotted alien... because anytime I’ve ever talked to folks that have done time - whatever it was for, it generally was for a good reason.

j

• Like Like x 2
  16. Is it any wonder schools don't teach any law?

17. i don't know what they teach. around here i think it's four square math, they dont teach cursive writing, and i know they dont teach anything at all about banking, personal money management. apparently there's no courses on civics or american government either.

idk.

• Like Like x 1
  18. If they taught law, things would be very different. People go into law situations completely mystified and hang their hopes on a lawyer, so to disconnect the people from law, don't teach it to them and just teach lawyers only what you want them to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. #19 Papageorgio, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Purdy good. I liked his answer to the question "what's your message to white america?"

*edit* And his comments on affirmative action. Sorry, still got ten minutes left.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I mean most states now a days do have first offender programs for certain offenses. Usually you have to go through classes, etc etc - should remind you how to be a civilized part of society and educate you on the laws.

There’s a conversation to be had about cash bail and a fast and speedy trial...

It’s very true money speaks loudly in Court.... even hiring the lawyer who knows his arena.. you want a lawyer who plays golf with judges on the weekend or have dinner with DAs. These guys usually cost $$$

I think the criminal justice system is fucked up ... for the most part most offenders R just there to show up and get their fines and community service.

If you end up in jail or prison you probably committed a more serious crime.... I do not believe this is disproportionately black or white ... it just happens to be certain community commit more felonies...