White Dirt?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Swift420, Nov 27, 2005.

1. I was wondering my plants very well the other day and today I checked back and the dirt seemed to be growing this white mold. I was wondering why, is this hazordous, and what caused it?

2. i've seen that a couple of times .. i just presumed it was the water .. dug it over n never noticed a problem .. am sure someone will know what it is though

3. HIGHG All, what you have is salt build up...To avoid salt buildup, water your plants each time until water runs out of the bottom of the pot. This is also one reason that many people burn their plants with fertilizer - they leave behind salts that burn roots.

Make sure that the drainage holes on the bottom of each plant container are open to allow excess water to flow out of the pot.

4. Unoit, I do that everytime I water my plants, I let the water drain through the bottom of the pot, and I regularlly make sure the drainage holes are clear. If its just salt and not mold then that is good news. Hopefully within the couple few more waterings it will all be gone, thank you for the responces.

5. Do you have pretty hard water? Like Unoit said, it sounds like salt/calcium buildup.

6. I like to get rid of the water that drips into the tray everytime i water.
    May help you out if you dont do it...let us know how it works out anyways...

7. Okay I inspected this calcium build up stuff a little more thoroughly but It appears to be mold to me. I dont know why mold would be going on the soil and around the pot. The plant seems okay. I am just real worried about this

8. how are you growing them? outside-inside

9. It's coming December my friend. Indoors. 250watt HPS sunsytem 3x3x10ft closet.

10. HIGH All, try scraping O.F.F.F. the first inch or so of the soil...here maybe this will help you out.

11. yeah i had the same shit. went away after awhile. i added some shit on top of the soil to keep moisture locked in though

12. keep the soil slightly drier and warmer.

molds dont like direct lighting. molds dont like wind. there is also the fact that 50-65F high nut's moist soil that isnt as sunny as it could be is a mold heaven. constantly wet soil is asking for trouble.

you prolly shouldnt have mold tho it prolly wont hurt anything, but it could.

dig it out and get more light and air on it.

13. I will goto the store and purchase a new bag of soil, repot the plants, they need it now. They are about 3 weeks old and starting to get bushey. I will keep evreyone posted on how Mexican Sativa and Bubba Kush grow.

14. IF you have visible fungus on the soil surface, it is likely that it has already fruited and spores are all over your grow room. So changing the soil may not alleviate the problem. It is likely that you are watering just a bit too frequently. Most soil-borne fungus grows in the top 1/4 inch or so of soil. As long as it stays moist, the fungus will flourish. I you repeat this watering problem there is a good chance that mold spores in the room will find a new home in the new moist soil. Soooo...

A good rule of thumb is to only water when the top of the solil to a half inch or so is completely dry. There are some fairly harmless over-the-counter fungicides, like Daconil, that you could use as a soil drench if the problem perisits. But here's another observation, if the fungus stays in the soil, and you don't see any rotting of the main stem at the soil surface, then it is probably not a problem to be over concerned about.

15. swift420

I was the electrician for a carnival for awhile ,that used to stop at Asheville every year.