White burn marks (turning into brown holes)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by LD100, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Hey guys, been on here for a couple weeks, and this is my first grow. I will post pictures as soon as it hits 3 oclock (babies are sleepin, I run from 3pm-3am) but I wanted to get this up asap for some prelim. info and guesses. My buddy that grows has no clue on this one.

I have three plants that are 5 days into flowering now, and I am noticing that a good amount of leafs have little white specs on them, some of them turning into holes in the leafs. Of those holes/spots, some are brown, some are not. While most of the leafs are still healthy looking otherwise, it's taken its toll on a few. Anyway, here is my setup:

Basic Rubbermaide stealth grow (2 bins, on ontop of the other.)
    Bottom bin is lines with foil tape
    Top bin has no foil yet (ran out, no car, and been too rainy to walk that far)
    5 100watt eq Compact florescents, hung roughly 1-2inches from top of plants (3 fixtures, two have those double-bulb attachments)
    Light cycle is 12/12
    Fox Farm soil
    PH's not taken. Water has been perfect on all my other (legal) plants, visually.
    3 plants. Two are lst, one is growing naturally and seems to be a different strain. (leafs notably narrower)
    Just fed some foxfarms Bloom at 1/2 strength last night. First dose of nutes, ever.
    I have used epsom salt as a spray on them when they were younger, emptied the bottle and now use it for water, maybe some crystals of salt on plants?

My guess is that it has something to do with the foil tape creating hotspots. Any opinions on what it could be? Pics coming today after 3, promise :p I really appreciate it.

2. tiny white spots, followed by yellowing and holes sounds like spider mites, aphids, or other leaf suckers. Look at the underside of the leaves and see if there are any tiny specs.

3. Alright, I took some pictures as promised. Okay, so more than a few, so I will like to the album instead of bombarding you with attachments!

Pictures by ld100gc - Photobucket

As for looking for little specks on the back of the leafs, I looked really closely, and can't see anything of the sort. :confused:

4. two big things really stand out here.
    1. you don't know what the ph is. PH is very important to MJ plants - growing in soil a good range is between 6 - 6.5
    -if your ph is too high, or too low it can cause burn, nute lock out, deficiencies, etc...
    -you gave them nutes which brings the ph level of the water down and may / may not have needed to be adjusted up but we don't know.

2. Spraying the plants with epson salts - not too sure on that, maybe someone who is can help you there.

I do know that when you spray with "regular" water, as the water evaporates from the leaves, the salts from the water stay behind and can burn the leaves causing brown spots.

3. after looking at your pics - it could be time to transplant.

Hope this helps.
    GL
    Doin'

5. Thanks for bringing the ph problem to my attention. The problem started well before I even added nutes. That was the first time they were added, at half strength, and not very much. I will look into ph testing supplies.

For the issue with "regular" water, can that be remedied by using distilled water in its stead?

About transplanting, yea, I was thinking it was about time to do that. My buddy that grows as well told me I didn't need to, and I was a bit confused. I think I will anyway.

6. yes, distilled water will be fine.

GL

7. I really need help! The plants are getting them on more leafs, and are more pronounced. It appears that the white spots eat through from the TOP of the leafs, through to the bottom.

BUT I cut off a pretty dead leaf to be able to inspect easier..and while this one doesnt have white burns on it there are a couple brown burns, with yellowing around the area (this was a leaf laying on the top of the soil, covered by all the other leafs) there are little black specs on the bottom of the leaf, that can be brushed off with a finger. Bug infestation? I'll search around for what to do, hopefully I can find it but if not maybe someone will respond with help here.