White bugs

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by PurpAndSyrup, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I have been seeing some really small white bugs on the soil the last few times I have watered. I believe they are aphids? Are these bad, should I find a way to get rid of them or are they harmless to the plants?

2. [quote name='"PurpAndSyrup"']Hey guys, I have been seeing some really small white bugs on the soil the last few times I have watered. I believe they are aphids? Are these bad, should I find a way to get rid of them or are they harmless to the plants?[/quote]

I also have this problem, they jus pop up when ya start watering... Iv tried 2 find out what they could be but still not sure,, I was gna try some knat off tomorrow which is ment 2 kill aphids,, hopefully it gets rid of em!!

3. google "springtails"

don't get rid of them :)

4. I've heard they could be all sorts of things . I don't know how long I had them because you can only see them when you water . I only saw them because I was looking through a magnifier and saw movement . I was like WTF ! ?!? ? !!

That's been 3-4 months ago and I'm finishing it out in that soil . I'm close to being done, 1-2 weeks away I think on my first grow. It's doing OK, not great, but it's producing some good smaller buds. It was planted late outside from last years tomato plant soil . I'm sure the bugs got there while outside, but I moved it inside to finish it under CFL's .

I learned a lot and have much better organic soil waiting for the Low Ryder 2 I just got today . :D I threw it in to germ and am preparing the box for it to go in . I may start a journal, I dunno .

5. [quote name='"hello ladies"']

google "springtails"

don't get rid of them :)[/quote]

Okay I will do, I hope this makes me happy lol,, thanks

6. I have heard of springtails, I hope that's what it is. Springtails are a sign that you have a quality growing inviroment, right?

7. Iv jus checked them out n there exactly what I have, from what I gathered, they feed on peat moss, decaying leaf, mould etc.. Sounds like they do more good than bad 2 me but there are ways to rid them... If ya don't like em!! Glad I saw this thread :)

8. I don't think they are springtails. I went and watered/feed my girls today and saw the same bugs, they look almost like they are a dirty white color. They don't seem to jump like a springtail would, and they move around really fast. It seems like if I don't water the plants they come to the top of the soil until I water, then they aren't around for awhile until the next time I water. It's really irritating because I absolutely hate bugs being around my cannabis plants, and I hate that I don't know what they are. The plants look great, I don't think there damaged at all from the bugs, I do have a few leaves getting wrinkly on a plant or two but that's it. I want to find out what these are, someone please help me out!

9. This is the exact same thing I have . I can't see shit until i water, then there are literally hundreds of them swarming the watered sight for a few minutes then they disappear . They are too small for me to make out much of 'em .

10. I'm starting to think they are fungus gnats, because it makes since that they would come up to the top of the soil when it's dry because they like moist enviroments so they are probably searching for water. The only other thing I can think of is root aphids, and I realllly hope they aren't root aphids!

11. Gather them up, roll them up and smoke them op

12. Springtails occasionally develop in the soil of houseplants. Most often they are noticed just after watering, when they may move temporarily from the saturated soil to the surface.
    In houseplant soils springtails are functioning as they do outdoors—scavenging dead plant matter and feeding on soil microorganisms. They do very little, if any, damage to the houseplant. Problems can be limited if the soil is allowed to dry down a bit more between waterings, which discourages high soil moisture that allows them to survive and reproduce well.

13. I don't think they are springtails, they could be but I haven't seen them jump. I hoop they aren't root aphids that are slowly destroying my roots.