White buckets for pots??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Shambles, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Alright guys i went out today to buy myself some 5 gallon pots for the soon to be flowering females. and a 5 gallon bucket with lid to try out one of these clone machines.

So i went to rona, and noticed that their stock rona buckets (5 galon) were cheaper than 5 gallon pots, And they were deeper instead of wider.

Anyways i decided to pick some up, and figured id just drill holes in the bottom for runoff, give a good cleaning and be ready to go.

But i was concerned that the white, is kind of see through, when i put them under my 600W HPS with nothing in them i can clearly ready the rona symbol from the other side.

So, is it safe to grow with these containers or should i bring them back in search of some black 5 gallon pots??

thanks all

2. Shouldnt be too bad I would consider covering with tape or somethign but with that big of a bucket I really wouldnt worry about it bro.

3. is that too big for my plants?? they are in 2 gal pots now and rootbound like crazy at 7 weeks old

ready to start to flower but i want to transplant them first .

Could i get away with 4 gal pots?

4. Sure you could be fine with 4gallons for me I harvest with 2gals but I dont veg long, you should be fine with either

5. why dont people veg for longer? i was tld to veg untill sex is at least identified and than flower.

I dunno, but next time i want to try this, but i just dont have the space, as this time i will be taking clones from a female of these plants right before they flower, and then veg the clones under a CFL 225W grow untill my other plants are done flowering and then i can just start to flower them right away, and continue the cycle that way.

If anyone could help me out on securing a better flower/ Veg cycle i have a 600W MH and 600W HPS and only 1 ballast and that is in my grow tent that fits 9 plants.

i also have 225W CFL grow box.

thanks guys im kinda stumped here:hello:

6. I use white 5gl pails (identical to rona pails) and they work awesome. I drilled holes all over, not just in the bottom to ensure complete aeration and drainage. 26 holes in each bucket to be exact.
    As for a vegging cycle. I use a 600 watt MH/HPS system. I vegged for 41 days with my girls. They day after I changed my lights to HPS (12/12) they showed sex.
    I never heard that rumor to veg until sexing, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt or stress the plant at all.
    Good luck.
    Check out my grow.

7. i am still debating on whether to
    A) grow 6 plants in 2gal pots under my 600W HPS and clone the best one, mother that clone and keep cloning from her.
    or
    B) Grow 4 plants in 5 gallon tubs, clone the best one, mother it and keep cloning from her.

which would you guys dooo i need some help heree!!!

8. You already have the 5g pots right? wrap em in duct tape or spray paint the outside if your worried about transparancy. I don't have the vertical space for plants that tall. It's up to you bro. actually it's up to the plants and how much space you got. you and they might be happier goin smaller. Just tryin to help

9. yeah i think im just going to flower these 6 in 2 gallon pots, they will still grow, i might add a bit more fresh soil to the botom to top them up up of soil for flowering. but i am already running our of vertical space so i should keep em down seeing as they are a foot and a half already.

and then before i start to flower, i will be putting 6 clones in my clone machine from the best looking plaant. and than mother one of those clones in my CFL grow box.

When time comes to flowwer again i will just cut clones off off my mother plant. and veg them for 2 weeks and start to flower.
    sound like a good plan??

Also, my partner in growing trimmed away a larger amount of leaves, Mostly dead but a couple freash fan leaves that were blocking the smaller grwth underneath.

IS this okay?? will it stress the plants much?
    Also does it stress the plants moving them back and forth to the bathroom for feedings?

Thanks guys youve been a ton of help :hello::hello::hello:

10. I allways trim off the dead or dyin leaves, big healthy fan leaves I leave alone. I figure thats where the main light absorbtion is goin on. I'll bet it won't hurt them though.
    I've heard movin plants stresses 'em. Don't really know...I move my plants when transplanting, other than that I really only move my plants to flush at the end, by that point stress dosent matter.

11. not to worry think so...not the case to worry a lot

12. If your growing in soil I wouldnt worry about white pots.If your growing hydro just get some aluminum duct tape.