Whisper grow journal

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TheTHCwhisperer, Aug 19, 2019.

1. I just turned my tent to 12/12 today so lets get caught up.

I'm growing in a 8x10 tent but 2 feet of it is cloning. The divider sucks because I had to tape it all around to stop light leaks. Only 2nd time growing in a tent because I usually do framed build outs. Tough to control environmentals like I'm use to. I rent so I can't start building walls and rooms like I normally do in the garage. There are (2) 315w CMH lights and a 1000w DE HPS. I use Roots Organics Soilless, Advanced Nutrients Iguana Juice line with CalMag and Mammoth P.

Started growing indoors 30 years ago at 17 and have had a grow most of the time since. I have consulted on medical grows in CA, done some build outs and owned a commercially licensed grow briefly. Been working for one of the top 10 cannabis producers in WA as a gardener.

These are the highlights from my written journal in a notebook. Yeah I'm old school 47 years old and I write shit on paper still.

06/26/19 Popped 10 Slurricane seeds straight into rockwool. PH 6.0 temp 80 degrees humidity 90%
    06/28/19 Seeds popped cotyledons cracking off seed shell still 80 degrees but 75% humidity
    07/04/19 All have tap roots coming out so I transplant in 5.5 inch square pots with Roots Organics soilless and 1/2 strength Advanced Nutrients Iguana Juice line. 400ppm at 6.0 ph starting adding CalMag and Mammoth P
    0714/19 Transferred them to large part of tent under single 315w CMH and 1000ppm of C02. Temp 85-80 degrees and 65-55 RH I like running close to VPD but in tent that is very difficult. Only 2nd time in a tent. I normally do permanent build outs in my house but I am renting.
    08/02/19 Turned on 2nd 315W CMH and temps and humidity basically the same but raised C02 to 1200ppm
    8/14/19 Transplanted into 3 gallon pots and turned on HPS dialed down to 400W. Had to play with the AC to get back into temp range but now RH is 60-52%.
    08/17/19 Turned HPS up to 600w temp and RH didn't change
    08/18/19 Took clones from plants because I am still pheno hunting. Start flower tonight and turned HPS up to 1000w. Temp is fine with AC tweeks but RH is now 56-47%. Too far off VPD for my liking but the AC exhausts to much air to use a humidifier.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. First day giving full strength bloom nutes. Advanced Nutrients Iguana Juice, Mammoth P and CalMag. Love it when they pray!

Attached Files:

3. I have not had a home grow in about 2 years since I have been renting but finally broke down and put up a tent. Had extra power added in the garage but there are challenges with a tent that are new to me. The tent sucking in when the AC turns on is new and using so much C02 because of that. The light height will force me to really train the plants to be much smaller. I FIM'ed this one but still learning the strain to see what it does. It is Slurricane and I get some Hindu Kush seeds today. They are old school landrace that I have been wanting to try. In the late 80's early 90's we always got Hindu Kush and I remember it being really good. It maybe I was young and weed wasn't as good back then but I am going to give it a go. Besides I want to see where every strain with the word Kush in it came from.

FIM'ed

4. Started pruning back some of the lower branches and inner nodes. Will keep shaping for about another 2 weeks and then trellis. Still having heat issues. Getting 87 degrees in the tent but it's early and I have Co2. Would rather have it between 80-83 degrees but who knows maybe Slurricane likes heat. I ordered parts for a window vent and I will take out the large AC and leave the small AC with a vent coming from outside with a thermostat in the tent turning it on and off at set temps with a HEPA/charcoal filter. Have all the parts but the window vent. Might rig it until the part shows up but I hate leaving the window open over night because my neighborhood is quite at night.

Attached Files:

5. I am TOTALLY in for this one.....subbed!

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 TheTHCwhisperer, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Why welcome to the ride my friend-

• Like Like x 1
  7. While we wait on my home grow to start to flower lets take a look at some of some other shit I did last year. Here is some distillate I made last year in the lab. That was a fun experience but long days! Came out really nice at 92%. Clean tasting with no odor.

Attached Files:

8. Starting to train the branches so lower branches get light and I can determine how I want to fill my canopy. Took out 1 of my AC's and swapped a window fan with a thermostat and a HEPA filter. Noisy so I ordered a fan muffler today. Still working out the kinks but temp stays 81-83 degrees with RH at 50-60%. Still off VPD but may try to add a humidifier since I have extra room with the 2nd AC out. Will pop my Hindu Kush seeds and 3 out of the 4 Magnum Pie reg seeds popped.

Attached Files:

9. End of week 1 of flower and the training and pruning has started. Will do more in the next 2 weeks then trellis and let it go from there. Tired drove to Seattle because my brother was in town. Good night all-

Attached Files:

10. Middle of week 2 of flower and been stripping slowly and training. Starting to see preflowers on the ladies. Had to add a dehumidifier cause lights off was getting 85 RH. Heat still an issue because of summer but 83-87 degrees during lights on isn't too bad but not ideal. Well still don't know maybe Slurricane likes heat. Anyway going to take a shower I trellised a flower room at work and am gloriously smelly but also sticky.

Attached Files:

11. I'm going to ride along. It took me 2 full runs to finally get the right combination of equipment ( ac , dehumidifier , etc.) working. Allowing me to run my vpd chart.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Welcome to the ride-

Yeah I am working out the kinks still. I know what I need but it's more $$$. I need a humidifier with a separate reliable humidity controller. This way during lights on I can get to 70-75% humidity and the dehu will take it lower during lights off. I have a humidifier but the gauge measuring RH is not accurate. It stayed on after lights off and took my tent to 98 RH and it was dripping wet inside. My co2 controller, CMH ballasts, AC and most important my plants were all wet. I will have to wait a few paychecks to get some reliable equipment until then I have low VPD during lights on. 83-87 degrees should be 70-80 RH but I am at 55-65 RH. My lights off is fine now so that is good at 72-75 degrees at 60-75 RH. Winter is coming and I should be able to get lights on temp in the 80-83 degree range lowering my RH range to 65-75 RH. Hopefully that works but then I will have to think about a heater during lights off. That's the fun of it is figuring it all out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Battling heat at the end of week 2 of flower. It got 90 degrees in my tent. Opened it up and turned off the co2 and cracked the garage door. Good thing they don't smell yet. Might have to dial down the 1000w HPS until it cools down. Preflowers coming in nicely and they are still praying.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. 3 out of the 4 Magnum Pie reg seeds popped and 4 out of 5 Hindu Kush fem seeds popped. My clones are barely rooting after 2 weeks. Might have been the heat making them take longer or could be the strain. I'll know after a few more turns.

Attached Files:

15. Finished trellising tonight. I'll move stuff around in the next week and get it fine tuned.

Attached Files:

16. Been busy at work the head grower is on vacation and lots of overtime. Not much to report just humming along at the end of week 2 of flower. This is how I chill on Friday!

Attached Files:

17. Here is a better picture of the grow progress at the end of week 2.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. First day of week 3 and surprised to see as trichome development but Slurricane is supposed to be frosty. I am also thinking my CMH lights are helping by adding more UV.

Attached Files:

19. Sorry correction the last post was the end of week 3. Like I said been busy at work.

20. OK day 22 of flower. Lets go by days so I don't confuse myself with rooms at work. Nice trichome formations and I see where the top nugs are going to connect.

Attached Files: