Which would be better?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by oysterxfast5, Jan 11, 2009.

1. I am going to try growing inside but not sure what light to get. I know MH and HPS would be the best but I cant afford that right now.
    Which would be a better choice for a light?
    A compact fluorescent light or Fluorescent light fixture?

2. CFLs will put more lumens in a smaller area

3. lol....

HPS are generally the best you can get for growing. However, they arent IDEAL for vegging, but work just fine. You can use CFLS or fluorescents for veg, or MH.

HPS are however AMAZING for budding and will increase your yield substantially.

With all that being said, many a successful grow is done using only HPS, you will still get alot. It all depends on if you're planning on doing 1 grow at a time start to finish with one light, or if you're planning on having seperate rooms/chambers/boxes for vegging/budding. If you are the latter, then you dont have to buy 2 HPS's, buy one good HPS and some CFLS and you'll be golden.

4. LOL pirate, i wasn't being a smart ass LOL
    He says he cant afford a HID at the moment and his question was:
    'A compact fluorescent light or Fluorescent light fixture?'
    I meant the CFL is compact which will put more lumens in a smaller area compared to a long fluoresent. LOL

5. #5 ggmallow, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
    Depends what tube really. You can get 2 foot flousent that puts out 10,000 lumens. That's alot more then a standard cfl.
    To the orignal poster if I where you I would use a combo of both like maybe a longer T5 on top and the smaller CFLs on the sides where the tube does not penatrate. Another suggesion is a lower wattage HPS is pretty imexpensive. Check out htgsupply.com they have many affordable options but remember to budget in ventilation.

6. I think you would be surprised, by the time you buy the fixtures, bulbs, splitters, wiring, you could of just gotten an HPS. Stage building is harder on your wallet. Do it once and do it right :)

7. I ended up getting some CFLs. I am just trying one plant for the time being seeing how things go before I spend much money on it.