Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Which type of edible base should i use?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by bradraz, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Im going to make some brownies tomorrow, but i dont know if i should use canna oil or canna butter. So my questions are, what other ways could i prepare the cannabis into a edible, and which is the best one, Does canna oil get you higher then canna butter? Thank you

2. It depends on how you feel about making them. Generally butter is better than oil at absorbing the THC and other molecules simply because of a higher fat content. Although, relative to the oil, the butter method isn't that much more noticeably better.
    In oil, you can simmer the weed in a pan with the oil on a low setting, as oil's boiling temp is higher than butter's (480 vs 350?). However, to cook it, you'll probably end up stinking the place up. If you have never made brownies before, I suggest this method. Just simmer your weed for about an hour to an hour and a half on a low setting (depends if its a gas or electric stove).
    The butter method involves a double boiler and slowly heating the butter and requires more time if you want more extraction. It's longer but has a higher fat content -so really it's up to you.
    Here's a useful, resourceful link on all things cooking:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...tive-glowing-hash-candy-canna-bombs-more.html

3. Hello there :wave:

Just wanted to drop in and add that store-bought butter has a higher saturated fat than most common kitchen oils, but a LOWER overall fat content!

Most butter is about 8% - 12% water, and milk solids, so be sure that you clarify it first, to get pure milk fat or clarified butter. Once clarified, it has the overall fat content of any pure oil. :)

In the end, coconut oil has more saturated fat than even pure, clarified butter, which makes it ideal for breaking down cannabis glandular material, and it also has a much higher medium-chain triglyceride count, which provides superior absorption and directs most of your potency to absorb via the portal vein and liver, which allows you to benefit from the potentiating conversion from D9THC, to the more powerful 11-OH-THC!
    Meaning that you're best off using coconut oil, over any other oil source! :hello:

The only time a lesser oil source is more appropriate, is when a patient or a users liver may potentially over-metabolize cannabinoids. It can be for one of two reasons;

Certain patients who are nauseous upon waking and need to medicate first thing in the morning, without 'feeding their liver' first, will often benefit from a long-chain oil, such as grapeseed or olive oil, to peak their hunger. Then shortly after eating a small snack or meal, they can consume MCT (medium-chain) oil, without their livers burning off their potency.
    It's always a good idea to 'feed your liver' a few hours before taking an edible, when possible. This way your system isn't ravenous, and you're not breaking so much potency down for energy purposes. It will work on a 8+ hour empty stomach, but it will work better on a 2 - 4 hour empty stomach. (You don't want to drop it in your belly immediately on top of having a big meal; that will slow the rate of absorption and dilute your dose).

And some people have dysfunctional livers, period, which can sometimes allow one patient to get HIGHER than usual (in which case coconut oil would be ideal for increased sensation and effects from less material), but with other patients, it means the liver consistently over-metabolizes cannabinoids, regardless whether or not it's been 'fed' beforehand, in which case a long-chain oil would be ideal to bypass the liver for the most part, allowing for lymphatic absorption. :)

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps! :smoke: