Which thermometer is most accurate?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Stoned fry, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Which thermometer would be most accurate out of a cheap Chinese digital one or an expensive traditional mercury style thermometer?
    I have got both in the same spot in my box but both are reading totally differently.
    Personally I would like to believe the traditional one as its reading is much more favourable to me and its a tried and tested method.

** Delivering your shit via planet express **

2. I would also assume the traditional thermometer. Mercury expands at a known and measured rate.

How much is the difference? If you're concerned with each and every degree, unless you're on the last leg of REALLY dialing in a grow room, I think you shouldn't have to worry about it.

If you're concerned whether your grow space is 95 or 98, I wouldn't be worrying about your thermometers. Growing marijuana is about ballparks. Get yourself as close to optimal as you can.

Of course, dialing in a grow room for a specific strain is another very long drawn out topic. I'm going to assume that's not what is going on for you. Hell, there's only a handful of guys I've ever seen on here doing highly controlled environments.

3. It's not too much of an issue. The digital was reading 27'c and the mercury one was reading 22'c. It makes me wonder if the digital one was properly calibrated and has it allways been reading high? If that's the case it means I may have done additional cooling work on my previous grow cab that was not actually needed. :( .
    I think I will try a third thermometer and see what that reads.

** Delivering your shit via planet express **