Which soil to use as a base

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Jonnytoker51, Jan 13, 2014.

1. So I want to get into organics... I recently just use ffof with a lil ewc thrown in...I have some ammendments on hand and just wanted to know a good mix and what soil I should use as a base....I have access to following soils...Ffof, happu frog, sunshine#1,#4, just right xtra, roots organics potting soilThese are the ammendments I have as of now....Neem mealCeab mealGreen sandGlacial rock dustAlfalfa mealKelp mealMykosJamacain n mexican bat guanoGypsumI was also wondering if purple cow compost is ok to mix is my soil as well.... I also have perlite, ewc, and some alaskan humusSent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. I have some humic acid powder as wellSent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I personally recommend bales of peat moss from the big box stores like home depot instead of those mixes u mentioned. It's a lot cheaper and it is unprocessed. It's literally baled and then shipped out. It comes with beneficial soil microbes already! Did I mention it's super cheap? What a great deal!

Bagged mixes like FFOF and happy frog use low grade peat moss. IMO, of those choices u listed, the Sunshine #4 is your best bet. Although this has been processed and buffered with dolomite lime and is way more expensive than plain baled sphagnum peat. Plus it is full of perlite.. I personally hate perlite lol.

For noobs like me, I suggest that you follow a "tried-and-true" soil mix that has been tested by multiple ppl rather than going off and trying to figure it out on your own. So as far as amendments, I would follow Clackamas Cootz' mix:

Amounts per cubic foot of soil (~7.5 gallons)--

1/2 cup crab meal
    1/2 cup neem
    1/2 cup kelp
    1/4 cup alfalfa
    1 cup gypsum
    2-5 cups glacial rock dust

While greensand and guano do have their benefits, I don't think they r necessary at all.

DEFINITELY get some vermicompost. That is the best soil conditioner u can use.

From what I've read, Alaskan humus is basically just peat moss--not a quality compost like Coast of Maine or Malibu's.

You can use perlite, but if u can get your hands on something else like pumice or lava rock for a decent price, I personally would opt for that.

If you use baled peat from a big box store, you will need a source of Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) to buffer the pH of the peat over an extended amt of time. That can be either Oyster Shell flour or Dolomite Lime. Again, I would go for the Oyster shell.

Use this "liming agent" at 1 cup per cubic foot.

If you use Sunshine #4, it is already buffered with Dolomite Lime.

Hth
    tj

• Like Like x 4
  4. Thanks ill go with the baled peat and ill get some oyster shell as wellSent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah check feed lot stores for the oyster shell. Probly cheaper there.

6. Lots of "personally" in that post lol. I need to bust out a thesaurus...