Which quantum board?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by RaceToLive, Jun 12, 2018.

1. #1 RaceToLive, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    I’m in the process of setting up a small 2x2 tent. Been growing hydro veggies for a while but this will be my first time with cannabis.

I’d like to get a quantum board that will work for veg/flower. Only plan to grow 1 plant at a time, Scrog. I’ve been looking at a lot on alibaba and reading a ton on here but I can’t figure out what to go with. I’d prefer something that doesn’t require a heat sink.

I had my mind set on 4 qb120’s but they seem impossible to find?

Budget is $150-200 but cheaper is always better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Hey man... I've been in the same boat as you trying to figure out what to buy. Chatted with quite a few Alibaba reps, but by the time I factor in shipping and fees, boards end up costing $40-50+/ea. And being that there's sellers on eBay with QB288's for $40 shipped, it wasn't worth the hassle doing overseas orders. The problem with the QB288's though is that they'll need a heatsink for over ~30watts (from what I was told). And as you know, heatsinks can be nearly as pricey as the boards themselves. I also emailed HLG yesterday to inquire about when the QB120's and QB132's would be back in stock. The 4000K QB120's should be in stock by Friday. And the QB132's will probably be about ~10 days according to HLG. I also looked into Photon Fantom's lineup (pretty cool looking LED mixtures), but a little pricey for me since I'm eventually going to end up with ~1200watts worth.

So I finally just pulled the trigger on some Bridgelux strips after reading LEDGardener's article below. He's done an amazing job listing out common grow tent sizes with various parts list examples...
    DIY LED Strip Build Designs for Samsung H-Series, F-Series, Q-Series, and Bridgelux EB Gen.2 - LED Gardener

For now, I only bought about ~500watts worth (12 of the 4' strips and 1 HLG-480H-42A) for $315 shipped. And these strips generally don't need any heatsinks (as long as you keep them under ~75% of max amps)... only need mounted to a aluminum frame. For your 2x2 space, you would probably be in the $120-150 price range, being that you can omit the cost of the flat bar heatsink, thermal tape, wagos, hangers, etc. from the LEDGardnerer example above.

Big thanks the LEDGardener for doing all the write-ups, testing, YouTube vids, etc. And also to T-Bone Shuffle over at RIU, whose an awesome dude that is always willing to help people out.

3. Thanks. So I’m fine with buying hlg, but I was looking for the 4 qb120s which always seem to be sold out.

Would it be easier for me to just get 2 of the v2 288 boards? Is that overkill for my 2x2 tent?

4. If you dim them down it won't be overkill. All the way up will be overkill. They will whoop ass.

5. So is there a better option for me to go with? Just 1 288? Or wait until 120’s are back in stock?
    I’m expecting my seeds to be here in a week or 2 and would like to have everything ready for them

6. I can never seem to be able to afford those boards. They look amazing tho. I have a 2x2 veg space setup for a mother but it won't happen for a long while. I love to barter for stuff, i guess that's a no no on here.

7. A single 288 with a heatsink would be great too. In that case a single 304 might be better. They are a tad more efficient. Whatever you choose will be great.

8. Thanks for the help. I went with the 304 in 3500k. Can’t wait for it to get here! Now I just need to pick a driver...

9. Are you running a single qb304 board on a heatsink or two? If you have one this is the driver you want. https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-120h-c1050a/mean-well-enterprises

Careful buying drivers for the 304. It has twice the voltage of the 288 it takes over 100 volts each board. That's why it's not used on 4 board fixtures. Use the 240h-c1050a for two boards in series.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Single 304 on a heat sink. Should I get the hlg-120h-c1050 a or b?

11. Yes I’ve been watching, a couple weeks till I can order, if they’re still in stock lol, the two 304 then a couple 288’s

@ I love growing weed

12. Yes I’ve been watching, a couple weeks till I can order, if they’re still in stock lol, the two 304 then a couple 288’s

@ I love growing weed

13. A has a built in dimmer. The B has two extra leads for you solder on a remote dimmer but it's more trouble then it's worth. Just buy the built in a series.