Which plant training method should I use?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ogderp, Feb 12, 2015.

1. #1 ogderp, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
    Hey everyone, so I'm planning on growing 1 plant in a sunhut blackout tent. The tent is 2.6 ft x 2.6 ft x 5.3 ft and I'm using a 260 watt pro grow LED light and a 6" 435 CFM hurricane inline fan with a 6" 400 CFM phresh carbon filter. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what plant training method I should use. I'm debating between a scrog or mainlining, and don't know what one would be better for this setup. Someone on here told me awhile back that I could fit 2 plants if I mainlined, but I don't know how I could fit 2 in such a limited space. I should also add that the plant will be grown in a hempy bucket and will be grown from a clone.

2. For that size tent, def do not use any training. Just grow it 14 inches in flower and flip to 12/12.  The tent is not wide enough to do training... hth!

3. Dont use training......bad info....if you lollipop you still might stretch into the light

Your best bet with 1 plant and short space......maybe look at some peoples scrogs.

You can keep a plant low by simply push the top down with your hand....bending the top...itll start to grow out

4. #4 Blunts2Face, Feb 12, 2015
    Low stress train (LST) it, specially just because you're growing one plant. you increase your yield tremendously without a lot of work. veg it between 4-6 weeks or when it is really bushy and then switch to 12/12.

here is an example of how to low stress train your plant! 
    2mm7f9u-1.jpg

5. There are many training methods that work well. It's a matter of personal preference. People who try to tell you that one training method is hands down better than another are full of themselves. Self absorbed people always believe their way of doing something is the best way or the only right way.

"For that size tent, def do not use any training."

Why?

Maybe I just have an eye problem, but I just can see the reasoning behind that advice. In my experience, the smaller the area, the more to be gained from training, and no indoor growing area is too big to not gain some benefit from training.

6. #6 CanadianOrganic, Feb 12, 2015
    I would definitely use the guide Blunts2Face posted. This is the most lucrative other than ScrOG. Here are two examples of the method suggested. Now, they are seriously damaged from fungus gnat larvae, but just to give you an idea. They are under 18" tall, and in ideal conditions would yield 4-6 ounces.

Attached Files:

7. Screen is 19 inches from ground. Anything is possible! Get a screen and grow laterally. I expect 10 ounces off my 2 plants. May get alot more. This is day 16 of flower. Good luck.

Attached Files:

I've been told this whole time by many users on here and RIU that I could do training in this tent.  Isn't that the point of training to make the most out of a small space, why wouldn't a scrog work? The plants in 1220's post look like they're in a tent roughly about the same size and he's doing a scrog. 

9. Ok, I honestly don't know who to listen to.  I've got some people telling me SCROG is the way to go, and I've got others telling me that LST is the way to go, then some are even telling me to use no training method at all! What truly is the best method for this setup?

10. Use some kind of training. Whichever u choose is up to you, but u will want to do something. A 5ft tent is about enough space for 2ft to 3ft max tall plant. One plant, untrained, at 2ft tall will yield much less than a 2sq ft canopy. Again however u choose to achieve that is up to you. 
    I personally like to grow several plants and lst in my small space. Each plant isnt giving me a ton of bud, but it adds variety.
    Good luck with whatever u choose though

11. It's time to decide for yourself. If everyone is telling you something different how do you expect to get a definite answer?

12. #13 killset, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
    terrible advice.... training is the best way to take full advantage of any grow space and to get more light to the bud sites. I grow scrog in a 5' tall tent. Dramatically increases yields, especially benificial in a short tent

13. #14 CanadianOrganic, Feb 13, 2015
    Hell, you could ScrOG in a 3.5' tent.
    But yeah definately terrible advice up there.

14. Which method adds more time to veg, or do both of them add more time? I plan to start sometime this month or next month and I'm hoping to finish flowering and harvest in early June

15. #17 killset, Feb 13, 2015
    Either method you can do as long or as short as you want. That depends on you. Just LST the thing until you figure out what you want to do. Better get started now if your looking to harvest the 1st week or 2 of June. That doesn't give you much time if you're growing from seed. Get by seedling stage, a month or so of veg and you'll have to flower, if you're stuck with those times, better get moving. Everyday you wait is just less time your plant has to grow. No since of scrog, especially w/ the clock ticking

16. I'm growing from a clone, so that shouldn't take as much time if I'm just doing LST on a clone right? The only reason why I haven't started yet is because I'm trying to get the $400 for the LED light.

17. Ya a Clone gets going faster then a plant grown from seed. You still don't have much time. You can start it under a cheap cfl. I'm just saying if you want anything that will yield decently you better get started. 2 months of flower or so only gives you just over a month and a half from now to start flower if you want to be done by the beginning of June. Wait a few more weeks and it really won't have much time to grow.

Yep, that's it in a nut shell. You can start with just enough cfl to keep some clones going for a little while so they can grow enough to produce decently.

Unless you have access to clones that are already well rooted and over a foot tall (some people by clones that are already vegged a bit).