which OS should i go with

Discussion in 'General' started by CanibasConsumer, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Ubuntu looks interesting...What do I have to do to install it? Do I have to uninstall windows??

2. @ CC: I'd give it like 15-20, just cause Windows itself takes about 3.5 GB from what I remember, and plus games and such are usually always 4-5 GB at minimum.. So it all depends on your needs.

@ Swisher: I'd suggest you read a little before hopping into it.. you'd need to partition your drive, you could salvage your current files by partitioning with Partition Magic, a paid software for windows.. See what you can do, read up.

3. you can download and burn a live CD and you can test it out without installing it. you could check out wubi as well. wubi installs ubuntu into a folder in windows and on boot up you just pick which OS to boot. if you want it permanent you can partition your hard drive so you can have both OS installed.
    wubi here- http://wubi-installer.org/

4. Basically copy a mirror and create an iso disk. Go through the setup, partitioning an amount on your HDD(if dual booting.) It will have the option for a complete reformat if you no longer wanted existing OS's.

They have plenty of help for the process on their site.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

Long Live Linux.:p

5. Right on guys.

I spread too much rep already but I got some tomorrow for ya hahaha:smoking:

6. i was looking at a list of distros and i found a PS2 linux. it was actually released by sony too. turned PS2 into a pc. did anyone know about that? i never heard of it

7. ok im about to hit the format button. see you on the other side

8. I did something similar with my old Xbox. Most consoles are basically computers any way, changing os is really not that difficult.

9. It's pretty awesome though, now that my acid trip is fading and the Bacardi Razz is really kicking in, and i'm jammin to some Grateful Dead, it really is awesome to see a bunch of us chill and just talk on here and help each other out like that.

Who's got anything on us?
    Noone.
    thats right.

10. hey man! i was thinking the exact same thing. so chill of the community, being so chill and shit like that. ahh!

to the op, man check out osx86 if you're into dabbling with osx? google dat' shit son! .. oh, but it looks like you've already started. damnit why was i late!?

11. alright im now on ubuntu. after all the updates download ill make a windows partition. now im thinking about it can someone tell me how to make it so i dont have to put in my password whenever i want to change anything in linux?

12. uhm you can change that but it's meant to protect you.
    Really, when I was a nerdy kiddo I had to learn the hard way. I didn't have these sudo luxuries.. I had a root account, and one day in a chat room one said rm -rf /, and that was it.. In non nerd terms, i basically erased my whole hard drive with that one command line of death.. Long story short, morale of the story, however you wanna say it, just type the damn password.. Make it easy and accessible, it's much unlikely that someone will hack into your IP and try to crack your password. More likely for you to do something stupid and then regret it.

There's a way tho, just google "sudo admin privileges ubuntu"

13. Lol, I ended up scoring some Kush..

So last couple of days I got Haze, Sour Diesel, and now Kush, and next week Ghani and Ghani bubble hash.. :Q__ awesomeness. I need to get me a cam to take pics, haha, rep my shit.

Anyway, and we smoke that kushhh..

14. #34 CanibasConsumer, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
    well shit i guess ill keep the password haha

15. Kubuntu FTW.

16. whats the main differences of KDE and GNOME?