Which one of these lighting systems is the better deal?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MsKittie, Jun 7, 2012.

1. (I'm pretty new to the site, so I'm not sure if I'm even posting my question in the right place Hah. Hopefully)

So, I started out with cfls. Cool white and warm white. I want to move ahead a little though and go for something bigger now. Here are two light systems I found for sale nearby on Craigslist. They sound like they may be pretty good deals. I'm sure some of you guys are a little more experienced with brand names and quality though. I wanted to know if it would be smart to check out either one of these. They're each about an hour or two drive so i wanted to make sure it'd be worth it. Any opinions? I'm not sure how to post a link so I'm just gonna copy/ paste the ads. If i can figure out how, I'll also attach the pictures that go with the ads. lol. Thanks ahead for any help you can provide!! :D

Ad #1
    Lumatek 400w Ballast w/ reflector... Sell or Trade (text for pics) - $100

I have a Lumatek (LK400) 400 watt Switchable ballast w/ Hydrofarm socket w/ 15ft cord, 400w HPS bulb and Xtrasun reflector... for sale or trade.

Ballast is less than 2 years old and used a short time. Like maybe 30hrs.... (original boxes)

Switchable from 250w to 400w SL (Super Lumens). HPS or MH bulbs.... Works perfect...(complete grow light system)

Asking $100.00 FIRM

Open to all kinds of trades..... Don't be afraid to ask.....

Ad #2
    hps growlight 400 watts sunlight supply best company - $100

BEST GROW LIGHT FOR INDOORS ALL COMPLETE , NEW IN BOX MUST SELL Call pr text XXXXX i could even help you with the extra needs to get gtoing making your crop as soon as possible, i hvae 50, 1000 watt lights myself if that tells you anything . 100$ is firm i paid 450 for it never used it need money today. !!!!!

2. That lumitek deal sounds pretty sweet to me. I would love a dial in ballast. But then again, that other dude could have a wealth of knowlage and maybe more stuff for sale!

3. What size area are you using? 400 watts may not be enough or plenty. I personally run 1000 for 4x4.

4. too funny, Guy has a 50 thousand watt grow and is desprate fot a hundred bucks, that does tell us something.... He cant grow worth a shit

I would go with the lumetek, and by two new bulbs, or at least a new HPS bulb if money is tight.

it Sounds wierd to have owned it two years and only use it 30 hours. 3 days of 12/12??

Also like kronic said, it really depends on your size and expectations for yield, I would go for a 1000 watt if at all possible, either way, your gonna love it over the CFLs

you doing hydro??

5. ;) Thanks Guys!!! My area is about 3x4. I think I may wait for a closer buy. I usually check Craigslist out about every other day. It really is a good place to find miscellaneous stuff. .
    Does it really help to have 1000 watts in such a small area? I mean how much better can I expect my grow to be with 1000 instead of 400? Will it increase yield a good bit? I dont want to spend too much money but I'd rather buy something thats gonna provide good quality in the long run

6. I started with three 150 lights (450 watts total) and yield was decent. Upgraded to 1000k and collas and secondary buds are enormous. Check out some of my photos.

7. i like how it says super lumens