Which Miracle Grow is best for seedlings?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Newbieb, Sep 2, 2012.

1. It's the only soil I can get fast besides Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

2. There isn't a Miracle Gro soil that's good for seedlings. For planting seeds or sprouts in, you want to begin with an inert soil that contains no fertilizers. Even MG's seed starter mix has fertilizer in it, and a chemical one at that.

Many stores sell good, inert seed starter soil. You can often even find some at hardware stores. If you haven't yet, try separately Googling "Garden Center" "Hydroponic" and "Nursery", each with your zip code next to it in the search field. Click on the little map after each search and call the stores that are the nearest to you and/or with the best rating. If that doesn't find you a store with non-MG seed starter soil, try calling/checking local dept. stores (Walmart, Fred Meyer, etc.), hardware stores and home improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.).

3. [quote name='"Newbieb"']It's the only soil I can get fast besides Fox Farm Ocean Forest.[/quote]

None. They burn plants. Get go promix.

4. #4 colafarmer, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
    MG seed starter mix has fertilizer added but, it's not in the time release form. Stay clear of any soil with time release fertilizer....The fox farm is a hotter soil and would not use for seedlings if you can avoid. FFOF is a good soil to transplant into once the seedling has established roots...For seedling's, Fox Farm Light Warrior is best...

I've used MG seed starting mix with good results but, would consider sterilizing peat based soil products to avoid damping off, especially Jiffy and MG.....

You can make your own starter mix from Canadian peat moss, vermiculite and perlite. There are a number of alternatives to a good seed starter like Coco Coir or, Root Riot, etc...

5. You can use miracle grow organic. No fertalizers except earth eorm castings and chicken poop lol. Ive used it a few times with good results. Youll need to start feeding your plants about the start of week 4

6. I used miracle grow organic for my plant. I mixed about 2 teaspoons worth in with some random soil (decent soil though) and it hasnt burnt the plant or anything its actually doing really well.

Or it was, im away for a little while now but Ill be back and checking progress tomorrow so if you want ill let you know how its treating it.

Its not the liquid but the little balls, they come in a bag. lol

7. [quote name='"colafarmer"']MG seed starter mix has fertilizer added but, it's not in the time release form. Stay clear of any soil with time release fertilizer....The fox farm is a hotter soil and would not use for seedlings if you can avoid. FFOF is a good soil to transplant into once the seedling has established roots...For seedling's, Fox Farm Light Warrior is best...

I've used MG seed starting mix with good results but, would consider sterilizing peat based soil products to avoid damping off, especially Jiffy and MG.....

You can make your own starter mix from Canadian peat moss, vermiculite and perlite. There are a number of alternatives to a good seed starter like Coco Coir or, Root Riot, etc...

.[/quote]

I have used FFOF for 8 years and over 50 grows, never had it burn any plant regardless of age. I'd start my seeds in the FFOF and never look back.

8. There are plenty of failsauce grow journals on this forum to contradict your statement, too. Starting seedlings in FFOF is a big no-no, it does burn them up.

On the other hand, I'm glad you are one of the few who has not experienced that yet. You are defying logic my friend.

9. First, what the hell is a failsauce grow journal?

Really, I document the hell out of every grow. I could show you pictures over years. Nothing, not one burnt seedling.

10. Looking back through your posts in the last year, I don't see any grow journals. :confused:

I don't need to justify why you don't use FFOF from seed....it's common sense. It's the same reason why you don't add nutes to ANY soil from seed....it contains fertilizer.

But hey, if it works for you...more power to you. I'm not gonna fight you pal, there are others here who will back this statement, just scroll up for names.

Thanks

11. #11 Newbieb, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
    I started 4 AK 47s in FFOF a week ago, and only two germinated. Saulsilver, how do you do it?
    I bought Miracle Grow, but I made the mistake of buying one with time release even though its for seeds. I don't want to use it, and am not sure if I can pick up other soil. Sorry guys.
    P.S. I also tried germinating 3 Blueberry Satellite 2.2s in FFOF, and none of them survived, but I'm sure those seeds weren't as goof quality as the AK 47s.

12. #12 SaulSilver1, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
    I don't post them online man. This site will give out any info they can to keep themselves out of trouble. I don't trust people on this website just off of a grow journal. You don't know enough about the grow, unless of course they tell you but... I mean did they tell you the specific temperature, humidity, ec of the water they used, ph of the water they used, how far under the soil was the seed, was it germinated in a paper towel or directly in soil? I once tried to germinate directly in soil (Wasn't FFOF, it was a crap kit from Home Depot I had to pick up, trust me no other option then this) and I got 6/10 that is shit.

I have a pH meter and an EC meter, there isn't anything that goes in my water that I don't know about. My tap water has an EC of .39 and they recommend never giving them plants water with an EC higher then .85 and mine never have and never will. I use RODI water and my EC, unless I use nutes, is always .00. Maybe in microseimens you could pick something up.

How do you know it wasn't the strain? Or there Ph was way off? Trust me over 8 years pH is the biggest outside factor to affect your plants. Maybe there pH meter was off. Maybe they watered with too much fert and just said they didn't? I don't know but I have never had FFOF burn any seedling at anytime in almost a decade.

If it happens to some people that sucks, but if you aren't using water with an EC of .00 then you will never really know if it's soil or water.

13. I never germinate them in the soil, always in a paper towel, then put them in soil. Really I have never had a seedling burnt in FFOF.

14. The PH was between 6.0 and 6.5, I don't know about the EC. I'm not attacking you. After posting this I searched on Google and people with a lot of Reputation points said something similar to you.

Thanks, that's what I'm doing this time. I think I'll do it, and post results with pics for everyone to see.

15. SaulSilver, Do you heavily water the soil before putting the seeds in?

16. lol...Given the choice between MG, or FFOF I guess I would go with the ffof, even though it can burn....

17. In soil plants like a more acidic ph. Greg Greene in his book (Which is recommended by this website btw) recommends slightly acidic soil and he says to aim for 7 all the time every time. I shoot for 6.5 to 7. I never let it get below 6.5 because when you look at ph charts 6.4 is too low and starts a lockout of the nutrients calcium and magnesium, probably the most important nutes outside of NPK.

Also the temp of your water makes a difference as well. I always water them with water below 65F but above 50F. I read cooler water holds more oxygen and boy do plants love da oxygen!

18. No I don't. I use a spray bottle and moist the soil around where the seed is going to be placed. The one I use is called the precipitator 360. I don't actually water them traditionally because the water is cohesive (also adhesive but this isn't biology class) and sticks to itself and other items. So it can grab your seed and take it further into the soil or move it around from where you thought it was.

I also have a syringe that holds 2 ounces of water and I use that to measure exactly how much water I'm giving my girls. I write that down so I can be extremely accurate on how much water they get day to day. This way I can minimize run off and maximize the nutrients in the soil.

19. Good Advice!!!!!!! Both of my ak 47 seeds moved from where they were placed

20. I read the internet rubbish and know its more opinion from people who really dont know anything, than fact. But with the MG soils, its FACT.
    Ive been experimenting with cloning to soil lately, and I use FFOF, but I put it in a bucket a week before, and everyday I rinse it water a couple of times to run the nutes down.
    Clones look pretty good.
    I tried doing the same thing with MG, and the clones were burnt within a few days. The time release ferts are bad news..