Which Light is Better?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Telebubbies, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Hey guys. I am looking at two possible 600W ballasts.
    Omega Digital 600W Watt HPS MH Dimmable Ballast Grow Light Kit Hydroponics digi | eBay
    600w 600 watt HPS MH Grow Light System Set Premium Kit | eBay

With the Omega ballast, I was planning on getting the duel bulb. And the iPower ballast, I am thinking of the MH and HPS bulb, with the basic bird wing reflector. Now, I was thinking, which one should I get?

The iPower one will cost me (with shipping): $206.00
    The Omega one will cost me (with shipping): $120

Which one should I get? The iPower seems to be a more reputable brand, plus I get both bulbs. Whereas with the Omega, I get a duel spectrum bulb, which I have actually heard is better than a HPS bulb. Not too sure though.

Which one should I get, since the price differences is so drastic? Is the iPower one worth the extra $90?

2. I've had an iPower in use for going on 11yrs now and still going strong...
    Matter fact maybe it's the luck of the draw but I have a few iPower ballasts that's been in service more than 8yrs and I've never had a problem with not one of the iPower ballasts where I've had high dollar ballasts go out on me with the iPower still firing that bulb....

3. I have heard of some iPower ballasts essentially exploding and causing electrical fires, because of FACTORY faults. In your opinion, should I go with the iPower ballast? Is it actually worth that extra $90?

4. Well all mine iPower ballasts are over 8yrs old so maybe they started using cheaper components????
    So all I can do is give my past experience with them...

The one that's 11yrs old is all silver and larger then they are today..

5. Mmh. Okay. Also, do you know if I am able to keep a 600W super HPS bulb dimmed to 400W for the whole of veg phase without damaging it? Or will it just damage the bulb..?

6. No you can dim the bulb without harming the bulb...
    But you want to use MH in veg and HPS in flowering so I'd personally get both bulbs..

7. I'm rather gonna get the Omega ballast. If it breaks, that $90 I saved can most likely buy me another ballast on its own hah. Anyway, should I get the Duel spectrum light or the Super HPS? Super HPS apparently has all the light spectrums needed for all stages of the plant cycle..

8. Yes a super HPS will be fine and make some kick ass weed.. lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. You want the best quality and highest wattage set up you can manage. Lighting is the most important element in your grow and the stronger you provide for the plant, the bigger harvest you get. But with big light comes heat. You do not want an open winged fixture though. You need air cooled fixtures for sure. You'll fight heat with air cooled fixtures depending on the size space you're working with, with the open winged ones it's worse. Do your set up right the first time. Buy good quality bulbs for sure. The money you spend comes back in weight. TWW