Which is more important...

Discussion in 'General' started by xtiffany, Mar 13, 2012.

1. freedom or fairness? (in a society, person, government, etc.)

Just pondering that question and wanted to get other opinions.

2. Personally, I'd say fairness. Greed is not good and causes separation.

3. very nice thread btw...

4. I think 3d art is the best of illusions.

5. fairness is freedom...

6. fairness is justice

7. I disagree.

To be fair means being at equal regard and neutral. Free means to be "Not under the control or in the power of another," which eventually means one group/person/whatever overcomes another group with a more superior quality.

Therefore fairness is not freedom.

8. Freedom is fairness...

9. lol this thread made me think of my little daughter (5,5)....im turkishamerican and her name is Adalet, which means "justice"....:smoke:

10. Well, then. Ask her.

11. lol...at 5,5 years of age, she is not THAT equipped....no i only mentioned it because justice is one the most cherished notions i have...thus i named my daughter so....:smoke:

12. no, lets use school as an example of this. how is it fair that someone with rich parents can attend a school thats better than those who have poor parents? in both cases the person attending the school is equally poor (assuming neither has any money).

13. Good thread.

--

Unfair freedom.

Forced justice.

Fair freedom.

Voluntary justice.

--

Which is more important, freedom or fairness, in a person?

A person should have his/her freedom, AND his/her sense of fairness. But if one is asked to choose one that is more important, one will choose... his/her freedom.

A person who says freedom is more important than fairness, is an honest person.

A person who says fairness is more importnat than freedom, is an idealist.

A person who says freedom is more important than fairness, is an oppressed person.

A person who says fairness is more important than freedom, is a person who has bitter memories of having been cheated.

14. You made a contradiction.

How can I assume that neither has any money when you are using the terms rich and poor to classify the families? So, in that case one is better off than the other by providing more superior(?) education than the other, thus fairness is not freedom.

15. It is only fair that a child from wealthy family gets to attend expensive schools, and a child from poor family gets to attend cheap school because their parents have different amount of money allocated for their child's education.

16. That's very Confucian.

According to your opinion, a person who believes in freedom can be honest and oppressed at the same time? But then how can they have/express freedom if they are oppressed?

17. [quote name='"GGrass"']Good thread.

--

Unfair freedom.

Forced justice.

Fair freedom.

Voluntary justice.

--

Which is more important, freedom or fairness, in a person?

A person should have his/her freedom, AND his/her sense of fairness. But if one is asked to choose one that is more important, one will choose... his/her freedom.

A person who says freedom is more important than fairness, is an honest person.

A person who says fairness is more importnat than freedom, is an idealist.

A person who says freedom is more important than fairness, is an oppressed person.

A person who says fairness is more important than freedom, is a person who has bitter memories of having been cheated.[/quote]

Nicely said

Life is not fair all we can have is our freedom, which we dont btw.. Wat is fair for one person might not be fair to the other

18. An oppressed man doesn't have freedom. Hence he's called 'oppressed'.

But he knows how important freedom is. Precisely because he doesn't have it.

--

A person who chooses freedom over fairness, and answers such, is an honest person because he is honest about his choice, eventhough his choice appears selfish, and thus could be subjected to criticism.