Which is better?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by deeeznuttz, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Is the sun (outdoors) better for growing or a grow light (indoors) better?

2. That's such a vague question it is impossible to really answer. If you had perfect conditions year round, outdoor would be preferable, but that isn't the case. Indoors gives us the ability to perfectly tailor an environment for cannabis in a way that just isn't possible in an outdoor grow. In a perfect world, outdoors would reign supreme, but we don't live in that world. We can provide everything that makes that perfect world in an indoor grow though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Depends on who you are asking, if you are asking the plant, it'll say natural is better, if your asking a grower he/she will say what-ever is their personal fav. :p :)

4. I'm sure the plants love everything that comes along with growing outdoors. Getting eaten/urinated on by wildlife, temperature swings, inconsistent humidity, pests, rain during flowering causing all sorts of problems. The naturalistic fallacy applies here, just because something is natural doesn't mean it is better. Bear attacks are natural, cyanide is natural, etc.

5. Yea but grow lights will never match the power of the sun though right?

6. and outdoors you will never that air exchange like that haha

7. Sure they can. Grow lights can provide MORE intensity than the sun could. The difference is spectral quality, although the gap between grow lights and sunlight is shrinking every day. The sun produces ~10,000 lumens per sq ft, HID lighting can double that, or more.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I read that the sun puts out the equivalent of 120,000 lumens on a sunny day

• Like Like x 1
  9. yea but grow lights will never get the "full spectrum" though right? That they try to memic from the sun?

10. It's a good thing plants don't utilize every mm of spectrum out there. We know exactly what wavelengths of light plants can utilize, and we have tailored grow lights around these requirements. Yes, the sun is more "full spectrum", but a lot of that spectrum isn't usable by plants.

chlorohyll_a_b_carotenoids.jpg

Its like saying "speaker a" is better than "speaker b", but the reason "speaker a" is better is because it produces sound that humans can't even register as existing. Who cares?

• Like Like x 1
  11. ohhh okay. So grow lights only use the "spectrums" needed... The sun has more but plants dont even use all those?

12. Not necessarily, but they can provide the same spectrum of usable light the sun does, at equivalent intensities. The big difference is you have to pay to power them, when sunlight is free...although notoriously unreliable due to weather and not being able to control light schedules.

13. What is your point with this thread? Is it a philosophical discussion on human's ability (or inability) to improve upon how a plant would otherwise grow if outside? Are you trying to decide between the two?

14. It is very much a loaded question sure to get some vehement responses. I'm of the mindset that whatever works for you, more power to you, but there is no denying that it is easier to control environmental factors indoors than it is outdoors, and in many states it just plain isn't practical to grow outdoors due to legal issues.

15. Outside in the Sun offers the best lighting , it also offers the most pests and disease .. Also you have to grow by the sun cycles (seasons , hours of light)
    Inside , you control the light cycle and the risk of pests and disease is greatly reduced .
    So I vote for indoors

16. #16 A guy, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Agreed. I do both, but I live in a legal state. I sure love letting the plant go gangbusters outside but mine have all gotten so damn giant they become too much work for me (I need to start them later in the season). Also last year we had a record rainy fall which ruined much of my crop, despite great cost and effort to keep them dry. For me, the trick with outdoor will be to find a strain that fits my climate and starting them later so they don't get so big.

I do love the control of indoor and I think it's a much tastier product.