Which is better for seedlings?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bkblaze, May 3, 2016.

1. Hi all I am new to Grass City I have a few seeds (i believe some Afghan Indica's) that just germinated and I have them in a 2X2in seedling trays with a mild organic high perlite mix. My question is I have three lighting options for the seedling stage and would like opinions on which would promote better growth for them. When they are old enough they will be growing outdoors organically in 20-30 gal totes.

Option 1: Indoors under 40w / 2000 lumen / 7500k florescent T12 + ~200-400 lumen led (Wattage and Kelvin unknown but very blue I'm guessing 6000-8000K)

Option 2: Indoors under 32w/ 2500 lumen/ 4100k florescent T12 + ~200-400 lumen led (same as option 1)

Option 3: Outdoors for a couple hours/per day while gradually increasing sunlight exposure over the seedling period. Right now my climate is about 75-85F daytime highs and averaging about 50% humidity. Time spent not under sunshine will be spent inside under Option #1 or #2 indoors.

Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. @ seedling stage I don't think it matters. I have used shop lights before with great success. Now I use T5's. I hope this helps.

3. This:
    Option 2: Indoors under 32w/ 2500 lumen/ 4100k florescent T12 + ~200-400 lumen led (same as option 1)

the advantage of the 4100 kelvin rocks this grow scene, 4100k gives both the advantage of the 6500k and the 2700k hid level spectrum
    but really the T12's came out in 1932, packed with mercury, break a tube it then becomes a matter for the EPA, and those yellow suits ...up grade this is a must!

good luck

ps most seeds won't need any nutes for 2 weeks

4. I do understand that the 4100k bulb is neither strong blue nor strong red and I have read that lights that fall into the "middle range" are not as effective as a strong blue or strong red in any stage of plant growth. Is this false? What benefits would seedlings/vegetative plants get from receiving red light?

Yea and the T12's are pretty inefficient in terms of florescent lights...I'll be sure not to break it lol. I plan to start introducing nutrients in the 2nd or 3rd week of growth.

5. You are correct, 4100k bulbs are strong in Green, neither red or blue, but green and its derivatives and of white, germming seeds don't need much light but the right color is paramount, otherwise you get squat or stretched plants..4100k gives the best of both when heat and water is by far more important

give them just red light your plant will be thing stretchy thing with popcorn light and fluffy buds (UGH) just blue light or 6500k will make squat ugly plants, will make ur life hell

with the T1`2 tubes, of which I've used back in the 70's...were replaced by the digital T8 of which I germ volume under, or the cfl array, which everyone is using, at least everyone 'poor'

good luck

• Like Like x 1