Which came first chicken or egg. (SOLVED!)

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by wakenbake4200, Jul 15, 2010.

1. I smell bullshit. That article proves nothing.

IMO, egg came before chicken. Way before chicken.

2. I'm sticking with the egg coming first. I think chicken is just a mutant form of some other creature that lays eggs.

3. #4 Dryice, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
    EDIT: Bah I had it backwards. Lol, not awake today. :(

4. Its the egg. Evolution proves this. Because if the chicken really did come first, then it would have to have been born from a non egg source.
    And if it were born from such a source, it technically wouldnt be considered a chicken.

Its the egg.

5. the dinosaur came first guys birds came from dinosaurs ...

6. dinosaurs laid eggs millions of years before the chicken evolved

7. Logic and knowledge of evolution suggests the egg would have had to come first.

8. Are we asking whether the chicken or the egg came first or whether the chicken or the chicken egg came first?

9. No thats not true because something would have to produce the egg which could only be a chicken ;)

10. ^ The idea is that the egg underwent a change to become a chicken.

11. No, actually... I'll explain it. Chickens don't give birth to live offspring, for starters. We'll call the pre-chicken a Kicken. Okay so you have no chickens yet, only kickens in this given ecosystem. These kickens are breeding with each other and eventually the eggs laid by these kickens aren't the same as the original kicken genetics. These eggs which were laid by the kicken are not going to produce kickens, but chickens rather. These chickens are extremely close in DNA to the kicken, but not quite. The egg that produced the chicken was laid by a kicken... the kicken comes first, the egg comes second, and then the chicken. A basic understanding of evolution makes it clear that the egg had to come before the chicken. This also answers your question as to what laid the chicken egg.

12. Thats exactly what I was thinking the whole time. :confused:

I always thought that there had to be a chicken to lay the egg. It still stays the same after calling it a kicken that laid the egg. Eggs don't just pop up out of no where. It has to be made from a live creature. But this is interesting.

13. Haha this thead is great!

14. Lame, that doesnt solve anything.

Their logic is: the egg shell needs a protein only found in chicken ovaries, so the chicken must have come first.

Sure, that is a fair statement, but you can easily counter it with this: The chicken ovaries can only exist when there is a chicken, and all chickens come from eggs, so the egg must have come first.

The answer is, they BOTH have to come at the same time. The chicken is inside the egg. It applies to the universe too... The thing that exists must be perceived. Both are NECESSARY, the chicken and the egg!

15. I'm not just calling it a kicken. The kicken is what I'm calling the animal that came right before chickens in their evolutionary line. An egg didn't just pop out of nowhere, it popped out of the kicken, with mutated DNA, and produced a chicken. This chicken went on to produce more chickens with chicken eggs. The first chicken to chicken egg came after this first chicken, but the original chicken egg came before there was an actual chicken.

I should have used a different name other than kicken though, it's too similar.

16. Don't worry, I understand exactly what you mean't. I just don't agree completely. How come a kicken's egg makes a chicken? That doesn't make sense does it? I say it would hatch another kicken, unless how you said it, it mutated.

Check out these cool links I found, they don't have much to do with the egg/chicken dilemma, but it goes to show something really cool.

Who are you calling chicken? T. rex's closest living relative found on the farm | Science | The Guardian

Yesterday's T. Rex is today's chicken - USATODAY.com
    T. rex was 'chicken' -- ancestor, that is - USATODAY.com

also, I might agree with you a bit more if you were to say, the kicken gave live birth to a chicken.

17. Given the huge amount of time evolution takes, I doubt there was any single point where an egg hatched looking noticeably different than it's parent. Since chickens evolved from other egg laying species, you could say that neither one came first, small changes happened over thousands of years that slowly made the animal appear more, what you would recognize as, chicken-like.

18. this, people tend to overlook the huge amounts of time when talking about evolution.

19. I'm sorry, but no. Yes it takes thousands and thousands of years for new species to occur. However that is exactly the point. There was lets say Animal 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 and then comes 5. You wouldn't notice the difference between animals 1-2 or 2-3 or 3-4 or even 4-5. That doesn't mean the difference is not there. Animal 4 was not the exact chicken, but at some point in the line number 5 was. The actual chicken came after the chicken egg.