Which brand of bulb to use

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Ensano, Oct 20, 2013.

1. I was looking online and it seems there is quite a variety of bulbs to buy.  I've noticed 400w bulbs as low as 20$ and some dual spectrum (red and blue) as high at $120.

What specifications are important when buying a new bulb?

2. for a beginner?  none really.

It's gonna take you 6-12 grows to reach the start of your skill apex( when you skills stop growing and even out) , at that time is when you want to worry about quality of gear. till then a 20$ home depot bulb will do you as much good as an Eye Hortilux @ 120$

3. is this true? every grow i get slightly better equipment, slightly more nutes, just a bit more shit, but yields keep getting better and better...expect 6-12 seasons just to START gettin good? i kind of believe it...

4. yeah , I'd say so. but I think you're confusing "Apex" aka reaching peak skills, with "getting good".

I'm not trying to discount any ones work. I'm  just saying there is little need to upgrade, if you start your purchases wisely, for some time after a grower starts.

all too ofter you will see new growers go from one medium to another , or one nute line to another. simply cause of one failure or problem. without taking into account user error & learning curves.

IMHO best to get a cheap 400 watt, choose soil( organic or bottles) or hydro( your choice) and stick with it for a few grows. Then after you see a stabilizing of your yields & quality should you start to mess with shit, like adding a spectrum'd bulb.

5. #5 tk86high, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013
    u want something with high lumens as thats the most important factor with lights the more the better. 
    So if u can get one for $20 that has 50,000lumens awesome , :)