where you live; do you look at and acknowledge random people?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by letsmokeasweet, Mar 27, 2021.

1. You gotta make your own fun a lot of the time. Its not for everyone, that's for sure.

2. No. Almost never happens in Norway - you'd be considered odd if you did.

However, above the treeline, that reverses. Strangers meet on mountain pathways and have conversations that last for a while.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Curious, are your neighbouring countries similar in that way too? I don't want to throw you all into one basket, but every Scandinavian person I've met has been open and outgoing. Maybe because they were all travellers, it was a perpetual "above the tree line" scenario.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. It's not uncommon to chat up a random stranger around here but most people dont seem to have time to even say hello back or it feels like they think youre weird or something sometimes

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Much less awkward in Denmark, much more awkward in Finland, similar in Sweden.

And yeah, you got it spot on with the perpetual above the treeline scenario :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. in a way, it’s great because there are so many people, so many opportunities. there are jobs and ways to make money everywhere. the trick is to get a side hustle going to make some pocket cash. 6mil. damn. that’s a lot of people. i wonder how many people this city has?? ...i guess i will look it up

7. A54C8AEC-5861-4112-936C-3C979A73674C.png

8. exactly as if “they don’t have time”

9. I believe the general feeling there is they think you want something if you approach them like begging for money. There is way too much unhealthy paranoia these days and yes I myself am guilty of it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. #70 Sublime, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    I will say hi and chat if somebody initiates, but I almost never say anything beyond a hello to another stranger on my own, I may wave and acknowledge so as to not ignore entirely, but ultimately I kind of just keep to myself.

11. I walk/hike a lot. I'll say hello in passing but I prefer not to chat. If I'm in line at a store, I'll engage in very small talk. Even though I'm not a chatty person, I'm polite

12. that’s exactly how i feel. of course they are approaching me because they want something. i’m sorry i don’t think anyone has ever came up to me and it was something good

13. To be honest same here. I've always been harassed or hit up for money and people wonder why I keep to myself.

14. well it’s nice to know people are kind of
    like that. i guess i am the same way. i don’t want to put to
    much time into a random stranger for
    nothing in return.
    but
    kids are different. gota pass that knowledge on
    after my sons basketball games i will purposely stop some of the kids on his team to give them some pointers to improve on, i think i will pull the kid aside that is the “leader” of the team and remind him
    before our next game and see if there is some improvement
    damn i’m getting old lol

15. it’s so annoying when they walk up asking for
    money. i barley have any. i would rather give a random bum on the corner some weed

16. if you open up and give the wrong person an opening you will end up getting burned...it’s sucks. but sometimes it’s a breath of fresh air when u get that random encounter

17. I have nothing against helping out someone in need but half the time when they tell me "Oh I'm hungry can you give me some money for food." I can smell the booze on them and I can't be sure if they will actually buy food with it. So sometimes I do offer to buy some food and gage the way they react. Someone who is hungry and in need will actually take that offer.

18. they have little homeless
    communities here. so they have a person at each light and people will give them their leftovers. there is a spot under the bridge where someone else is standing next to and you will see all of the styrofoam boxes. so i’m guessing they have a nice feast at night lol

19. I still believe we should help the Homeless by building housing for them over golf courses. lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. i don’t know...the homelessness is the result of events happening to someone’s life. just building a shelter or a home for them, is not really enough
    what the homeless really need are resources and assistance throughout time. not just a one time, hey here is a home for you; now everything is better and you can now have a normal life