Where to top?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by C0lt7, Sep 25, 2016.

1. I've been searching and can't seem to find accurate info on it. Where my finger is, that's the first true node? When do you usually top? & can you top/fem late?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. when you top you just need to take the very top center small little bit of new growth and leave the 2 side leaves

3. I knew that much, but I just wanted to know what's known as the first node, or first true node? & how many of those do you count up before you pinch it?

4. Yes that's the first true node you don't count the starter leaves... Then every time it branches that's another I count five in the last one very top it collapses on another.... But you can technically cut wherever you'd like but I wouldn't go below four so you could just go right above that first good split you have and cut with clean sharp scissors....u could even let get bigger and take the top for a clone if you know it's female

• Like Like x 1
  5. When your done the plant should now have two new tops that was technically a lower node till now... Now the top two and the two below that should catch up and you have four tops if you trap those top two down some with piece of power wire thin gauge or something like that they won't rust... Make Shepard cane scar the bottom so doesn't just jerk right out soil kinda like a fish hook but put Barb's on long end.... Some ppl tie down I don't like doing that as when you move bucket or bag the buckets flexes causing to pull a lil hard on them sometime

• Like Like x 1
  6. Right, I think I'm going to do the Scrog method in a 4x4 tent, so topping is something I'm gonna need to do.

Thanks realdealz28

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. It depends on what you're trying to achieve. Is it about keeping it short? Creating multiple leaders? Cutting much of the plant off will slow down the progress so its usually best to cut the least off as possible.

Don't top if you're going to ScrOG. The screen does all the work

• Like Like x 1
  8. Why not ? Seem it would benefit from it. If you top it early it will focus all the energy to different points as a main instead of the one. That will give the plant plenty of time to start new spots before it even hits the screen. Once at screen you can train under.

Check out my first grow.
    https://forum.grasscity.com/index.p...x6'-tent+-Newbie=what-could-go-wrong?.1420015. Sent from my magical device that provide bud pictures and hot girls

• Like Like x 1
  9. There is no point because as soon as the main leader hits the screen, the height stays the same so all side branches grow out evenly. That main leader is lost very quickly.

Topping shocks the plant, pruning of any sort makes a difference. An untouched plants always grows that bit faster

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'd take gold growers Scrog advice he is very knowledgeable

• Like Like x 1
  11. Topping slows growth, this is fine when you're trying to achieve a particular shape, widening it to fill out the area without getting too tall. But the screen will do this for you and the quicker you can get the plant to the screen the better. Allowing the plant to grow full speed will allow it to have more leaf surface. This allows the plant to use more light.

If you really want to do it, then go for it. Nothing bad will happen. It will just set you back a few days that's all. No big thing

12. Thanks man, that's very kind of you to say

13. Thank you. I wasn't doubting you just wondering.

Check out my first grow.
    https://forum.grasscity.com/index.p...x6'-tent+-Newbie=what-could-go-wrong?.1420015. Sent from my magical device that provide bud pictures and hot girls

14. It's ok if you were, to you I'm just some guy on the internet. You should question everything

Edit...
    This isn't a decision you should lose any sleep over. You can do it either way and it won't effect yield, it will just slow growth a little but you veg a little longer