Where is the Universe located?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by PeruvianDank, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Are there theories as to what lies outside the Universe or where it is located? What do you think? This probably has no answer, perhaps it does but we don't know yet.

2. the universe is everywhere. everything happens before and will happened again.

3. noone nows bro. people still think a medical plant is bad for ya:/

4. just use your imagination. anything you can think of probably has some truth to it.

my personal definition of the universe would mean that it is everything. parallel universes would just be other parts of the same universe in my opinion. whatever is outside of this universe is really still part of the universe in MY definition of it.

I just have to have a word that means everything....... besides "god"

so the location would be everywhere for me.

5. Attached to a strand of a massive brain-esque system of other universes.

6. Annndd thennnnn

7. #7 teirry, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    This is a very interesting discussion. If you believe in some type of "big bang" theory of the creation of the universe, then yes the universe as we "understand" it has boundaries. It started from an infinitesimally small point and exploded from there and has been expanding ever since. What is it expanding into?

I'm studying physics right now. There are 4 forces in the universe. Gravity, electrostatic, weak nuclear and strong nuclear.

Gravity is the only force we don't understand. No one has been able to unify gravity with the other three forces.

The equation to measure the force of gravity is: (G(M1xM2))/r^2 where G is a constant, M1 is the mass of the first object, M2 is the mass of the second object and r is the distance between them.

The equation for the electrostatic for is: (K(Q1xQ2))/r^2 where K is a constant, Q1 is particle 1 and Q2 is particle 2 and r is the distance between them.

With charged particles they exist in 2 forms. Ben Franklin called them positive and negative, he might just as well used A and B. So the electrostatic equation can produce a force of repulsion or attraction based on the "charge" of the 2 particles. The point is there are 2 types of charge particles in the universe and the equation for electrostatic force and force due to gravity are both the same. What we don't understand about gravity is matter itself. If there are 2 types of charge particles why wouldn't there also be 2 types of "matter particles". Universal math laws are very consistent.

Is it possible that there are two types of matter? Imagine somewhere there is a "negative" of this universe and on the other side of that another person is doing the same thing we are...or even further, how about this? Matter on either side can re-arrange in its own ways so you could have a completely different universe on the other side with identical "particles" of the same type re-arranged differently.

How crazy is that???

8. ^^ mfm at the end I'm blown:D

9. It is said by astronomers that we have peered to the edge of the universe with our telescopes. I would be more willing to believe that we have seen the edge of observable matter. The ‘ether' and its secrets may well be much further beyond. But, do I believe that existence stretches to the infinity? How does one contemplate the nothingness? It is in this that I reach my cognitive limits. It is truly a concept that I can not wrap my mind around. What are the implications? Maybe the need for concepts such as infinity and nothing are not necessary to an existence of consciousness only. If our senses are merely stimulation to a consciousness, then there is no physical boundary to consider in the cosmos.

10. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RYNVqmWYlk]MIB II Ending - YouTube[/ame]

11. There's no such thing as a 'where' that is outside of the universe.

Uni meaning one, it represents the whole physical plane. If you are discussing any object comprised of matter and located in space, it is part of the universe.

It's a failure of the human mind to see the universe as having an edge or boundary.

12. #12 ZCraggRatt, Jan 14, 2012

IMHO, the mechanics of gravity have not been understood, because it is not bound by the physics of our understanding. The speed of its action does not fit into Einsteins model. What is my evidence? Do you need more evidence than the effects of gravity acting at a rate much greater than the speed of light?
    Lately, scientists are coming up with evidence that gravity acts on matter at a rate much faster than the speed of light. It has been suggested that the affects of gravity propagate at a rate some 2x10^10 c.

edit: Here's a good read: The Speed of Gravity - What the Experiments Say

Would this not be anti-matter?

13. #13 DBV, Jan 14, 2012
    I think maybe nature is what your looking for.. or allah. lol, jk. but universe works too since it'd all be united by existence.

I'm not really sure what's "outside" our dimension really.. if dark matter has any true existence, I'd say the real question is what's happening right in front of us that we can't perceive or interact with?

14. LMAO....what a silly opinion.

15. god's left nipple.

16. Well, iv'e come to the conclusion that the universe is on a kind of...membrane thingy. I believe that two absolutely fucking ENORMOUS membranes collided. One "positive" and one "negative" collided (the big bang) and through these two polar opposite things hitting each other the universe was created in a sort of crater that is still expanding. I think they call it M-theory or some jazz like that.

17. #17 m00zix, Jan 14, 2012
    Thisx10. "Where is the universe..." The universe is here derp.

As for the last bit... Some would assert the universe is still expanding, so technically it does have a boundary, it's just constantly being moved/expanded.

The theory I'm familiar with specifies those two membranes are two separate universes colliding ;P

18. There is both dark matter, which I saw a post about the other day, and anti-matter, which we've actually been able to create to some degree using particle accelerators. I honestly am not educated enough in physics at this point to be able to relate that, but there is definitely more "matter" to the universe that that we observe.

19. multiverse niggga do you speak it?

20. It's a cell, and it's rubbing on another cell.

Cells are universes, der?