Where is the heart of philosophy?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by HighGrowMan, May 26, 2010.

1. Do not all charms fly At the mere touch of cold philosophy?[SIZE=-2] 230[/SIZE] There was an awful rainbow once in heaven: We know her woof, her texture; she is given In the dull catalogue of common things. Philosophy will clip an Angel's wings, Conquer all mysteries by rule and line,[SIZE=-2] 235[/SIZE] Empty the haunted air, and gnomed mine- Unweave a rainbow, as it erewhile made The tender-person'd Lamia melt into a shade.

2. Philosophy is nowhere near conquering all mysteries. If anything, it elucidates them.

3. I think the heart lies within mans insatiable thirst for knowledge and to define existence.

although very general, as philosophy can get very focused on topics...but I think for the most part thats what I would say

4. The heart of philosophy lies in "what am I"? In defining subjective consciousness.

I'm not so sure I agree with the guy. If his poem is suggesting that philosophy destroys the mystery, wonder and divinity if life, I disagree. The best philosophies, to me, reinforce how bizarre and unexplainable life is. Any ideas of something as abstract as existence, shouldn't be discussed in absolutes. And if it is (religion, etc.), I agree with the guy's poem.

5. The formatting helps.

Philosophy doesn't have a heart. Philosophers have a heart.

6. don't know...it seems like the author of the poem is referring to philosophy in the sense of a science. which philosophy is very much a science of life.

there is philosophy to be found in everything, yet the philosophy only exists within the thinker.

philosophy is also just a way to make sense of life, a way to give the mysteries the label of mystery. so philosophy defines and validates mystery.

7. I would say to this writer, superstitions must give way to science as the moon must fall and the sun must rise. but in actuality the moon and sun dont really fall or rise lol.

8. I don't think one is more right than the other. I think the definition is relative to the phenomenology founded in the conversation/discourse.

I myself am more science-oriented, but I realize the importance of poetic license and there's just as much to learn from poetic subjectivity as there is from science.

9. I too realize the importance of poetic license, i guess i just interpreted its message as "Science is cold and unfeeling, and its taking away all the wonder in the world" Where as I think that knowing how things work is better than having it be a mystery.