Where has the real drug use gone?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by DetroitDank, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Hello all

Im sure you wonder what I mean by this title, my meaning behind this is look at the era of the 60's when the drug of choice: LSD expanded are minds, cannabis included because in my opinion cannabis was and always will be a day to day staple of many peoples lives. After looking back at the community of the "drug culture" then compared to todays drug culture I found many differences, back then it was more about finding your inner self, expanding your mind, or just to "Turn on, tune in, and drop out." as a once genius Timothy Leary once said.
    Now you look at today's drug culture and it is filled with prescription junkies and other hard drug use. Its sad I just recently seen a doc about Woodstock 69 and everyone was together for one purpose all experimenting in there diff ways but it was significant because it was the truth behind drug use and the psychedelic culture. I guess my question to you all is, am I the only one who feels the movement started in the 60's has turned into a frenzy of head nodding and self destruction, through prescription drugs and other hard drugs? And wishes the once vibrant drug culture was re introduced into today's world?

2. drugs didnt start in the 60's

look at the use of drugs by indeginious peoples all over the world...

3. do you mean hippie culture? the government took care of all of them along with The Weather Underground, The Black Panthers, MLK and Malcolm-X. In my opinion there will never be another time in america that they will ever unite like they did in the 60s'.

4. Yes that is a terrible feeling, I myself as a young person would love to see the once vibrant glorified 60's psychedelic era mentality come back but with how the world is now I know that is just a distant hope, or who really knows if you think about it if more people opened there eyes to what really is important in this world and stopped focusing on petty bs maybe people may once again be able to Turn on, Tune in, and Drop out!

5. #5 Z3N, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
    okay, on 2nd thought. i could see american's uniting like that again. if hemp were legalized. but something like that isn't just given, it has to be fought for. honestly, i don't think americans have it in them, unfortunately.

but my pessimism stems from the failure of decriminalization from past generations, especially because of how more united they were then, than now. sure, we have the elders of that generation out of offices and baby-boomers in office now. but, why hasn't policy changed? considering any politically motivated surviving hippies would be in offices now. i've came tomy own conclusion that the right needs to be taken back, not waited for to be given back.

6. I dont really know because so many diff things factor into this and with the way the younger generation is it is even less likely because if you go to any high school in the 60's im sure someone had some LSD where as today it is like coming across mescaline or something "rare" so this generation is forced to be left with prescription and man made drugs like meth, crack and every other quick high kids can get there hands on its sad. We need more chemist's!

7. nowaday painkillers and ecstacy amongst kids has skyrocketed. meth too almost everywhere.

8. I also agree with the second part of your post but I dont things ever will change because todays society is so brain washed and set in there ways it would be hard to form a new way of thinking about things like cannabis, and other psychedelics because they are associated with one word drug and when you think of drugs today you get totally biased gov based answer to all drug related question by young people and many are to naive to experiment and think for themselves. <- sry if that doesn't make sense I am enjoying some fine herb at the moment :smoking:

9. i completely understand and agree, and as am i on the herb tip.

10. man your hangin out with the wrong crowd then, go see a phish show, or any jam band where the crowd is all there for the music and freeing their minds

11. "i listened to an entire phish album... and it SUCKED!"

cookie for anyone who gets the reference!

12. I completely understand you. But I think it is just a cycle. We are at this certain point in the cycle. Eventually things will change and they will probably resemble something of the 60s. This is just a guess, though. Who really knows? Perhaps the world will continue to change as it is, and everything will just get worse.

13. People are very self absorbed nowadays, and have little tolerance for waiting periods.

MY INSTANT GRATIFICATION! is what motivates way too many people, and it is unfortunate.

14. #14 PitchBlack696, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
    For now im just gonna be smoking MJ, and im thinking of waiting on LSD either when i move out or goin to my moms house (i had a long talk with her about drugs, and she was telling me how her favorite REAL drug is lsd). i love mind alterations and expanding my mind.

meth and crack are things i would never experiment with.. those are true fuck you up drugs.

now im thinking, what if the government doesnt want to legalize MJ because theyre scared if MJ was, then people would look for illegal drugs? (like how stupid kids like to do things just cause its illegal). Maybe they KNOW MJ is great, and they just prefer it to be illegal so people can keep getting that instead of the other bad illegal stuff. of course this argument has many flaws, but maybe thats whats on their mind?

15. you gotta find the right people man. they're out there just look

16. Eh, my take on why they wont legalize cannabis is simple it all comes down to money, if cannabis was legalized think of the amount of things cannabis helps with medically: eating disorders, anxiety, pain, and mass arrays of different diseases many being fatal with time. Then think about how many people in this world that are currently suffering from one of these that could just grow there own medicine instead of being forced to buy expensive prescriptions, or treatment period. That's A LOT of money lost for that industry why would the gov want to keep cannabis illegal even though they know its alot less harmless then legal scripts of Oxycontin, or whatever your preference is? Like I said before because it all comes back to money and in this day n age, America as a whole is obsessed with materials and money unfortunately. Plus if you think about it what would people think if they did legalize it? That the government that has put in billions into the war on drugs lost the battle that has been going on for a long time. Think about it when have you seen a anti drug commercial that showed someone shooting up or blowing a line, most likely never, you see people smoking cannabis or (pretending) to and then them showing people a completely wrong view of what the typical pot smoker looks like. I for one have never meleted in to the couch or any other bs commercial they put on. I think they wont legalize cannabis because if they do they have lost. :smoking: