Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Where do you keep your bud?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by 4Soph2Toker0, Feb 13, 2013.

1. I keep mine in an airtight bag in another bigger airtight bag... And then in my cupboard... So it keeps its goodness :p Do you guys think this is a good place to keep it? Or should i move it to somewhere better? :p :p :p

2. It depends, If it tastes great then I just keep it in a bag in my tray, If its sticky then I'll keep that wrapped up so it doesn't dry out, If I think it could taste better then I'll put it in a wooden box for a few days (works 9 times outta 10, drastically has improved the taste of some bud in the past)

3. I always keep a small amount, usually 2-3 days supply in a small, airtight, glass bottle. My favorites are the blue, 420 jars with a good foam seal on the lid. When I score a zip or so, I store the remainder in a larger glass jar, but I fill the bottle with Nitrogen gas, then store it in the freezer. When I need more, I'll remove the jar, let it come to room temperature, grab a bud or so, then refill it with gas, back into the freezer. Bud will keep for years that way without loosing it's freshness, smell or taste. It won't dry out as everyone seems to think. Try it!

4. But where do you get nitrogen gas? :p

5. Id like to try it but is nitrogen really necessary?

6. #6 stevizzy, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
    OK guys, here is the skinny on Nitrogen. As everyone knows our atmosphere is made up of mostly nitrogen. The oxygen content remains the same, regardless of where you live...sea level or Colorado...it's the pressure that changes not the % of oxygen. The partial pressure of oxygen (chemistry terminology) determines how much your body receives because the % remains the same. The more PP of oxygen, the more corrosive for oxidation and the better your body works as an oxygen consumer.

Nitrogen is an inert gas, meaning it reacts with nothing. Oxygen not so, it reacts with everything, even silver, but not gold. Think rust on iron or tarnish on silver and RUINED for bud (THC).

Any decent shop selling fine wine should sell cans of Nitrogen and sometimes mixed with Argon and Carbon Dioxide (also inert) gas. It's used to preserve the taste and aroma of wine after the cork is removed.

To use it, you've got to have a top quality glass jar such as a 420.com jar, or a simple mason jar provided you've got enough weed to fill it nearly full. Next, fill it with weed, then put the top on the jar but don't screw it on. Take the gas bottle which has a long stem on the nozzle, put the stem in the jar, as far down to the bottom as possible, without removing the lid...just keep it cracked enough to insert the tube. Give it a blast of gas, say 1/2 second, wait a second, then give it another short blast keeping the lid as tight as possible to prevent leaks, then give it a final longer blast of gas, quickly remove the tube and quickly tighten the lid.

Since the inert gases used are heavier than air itself or oxygen, provided you don't move the jar around or do it in a strong breeze, the heavier inert gas will displace the air and oxygen inside the jar and provide a gas environment that does the same as a vacuum. It will lower the partial pressure, and more importantly the percentage of the oxygen content of the air inside the bottle to nearly 0 levels. The inert gas will not react with the weed, ruining the odor and taste and the THC will remain potent without oxygen. Vacuum does the same to prevent spoilage of food but does not destroy bacteria, only hinder it's growth without oxygen. It prevents oxygen from reacting chemically with the organic content in weed.....THC, flavanoids etc. Basically destroys the good stuff in your weed.

Sorry for the long post but it was necessary to fully explain the benefits of using nitrogen or inert gas for weed storage. This is new to most people, but it's been around forever in the wine industry. The gas usually sells for $8.00 or so for a large can, enough to fill many many small bottles with weed inside. It works. I've kept dank weed in my freezer for over 3 years, in the freezer. I only open the jar a few times/year long enough to remove a few buds, then re-gas the bottle and back in the freezer. My 3 year old weed is still fresh, dank, sticky and smells like it did the day I bought it.

Try it, it's the absolute BEST way to store weed....long term storage. For a daily stash, take out an eight or quarter, put that in your daily jar and re-seal your big stash. If you only buy a gram or two, don't bother. This method is for storage of at least a 1/4 oz, better for larger quantities. Obviously you can't be opening the jar everyday, but when you do, let it come to room temperature before you open the jar so the trichomes don't all break off the bud. I just remove it from the freezer, let it sit for an hour or two before I even move the jar around....those trichomes are fragile when frozen. They won't fall off provided you don't bang the jar around.

7. I hide it. My mum has found my stash more than once and every time she smokes more than half! I am greedy with the weedy but whatever. I'm running out of hiding places. Soon I'm gonna have to keep it on me permanently...

8. No, unless you want the absolute best long term storage for your weed. Carbon Dioxide gas works nearly as well providing you can control the flow to avoid the blast you'd get from say a fire extinguisher....will blow your buds out of the jar. The wine gas bottles are designed just for this use, the pressure is low to avoid blowing all the buds out of the jar, it has a long stem to reach down inside the bottle etc.

9. Omg a mason jar...

10. I leave ground up herb in my grinder... Only lasts a couple days but I've left herb out in my counter for like 3 months and smoked it with normal taste and results. Of course it was dry and turned to dust but still...if its cured and dried properly it shouldn't grow mold or go bad....right?

11. Depending on the quantity I use a pill case, I've had a few at a time and can usually fit an 1/8 inside a larger than usual pill case, works pretty good.

12. I store my bud in an air tight jar and keep it in my refrigorator too keep it fresh.

13. Do you put it in the freezer? I have a friend that always keeps his grass there. Never tried it though.

14. No, you shouldn't store bud in the freezer. It will freeze the crystals and become extremely fragile.

15. Ok. Yeah I thought it wasn't a good idea. But fridge is ok.

16. What I did do was put a metal pipe in the freezer for a bit, it's a bit frosty. I hope the change in temperature doesn't crack it lol

17. I keep mine in a jar in a drawer next to my bed, so I can just reach over and grab a fresh nug without having to get up

18. I've been doing that lately, and the bong and lighter are all within hands reach. Much more convenient than having to get out of bed and going to your hiding spot lol

19. #20 stevizzy, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
    It's true the crystals do become quite fragile but the freezer keeps the weed fresh, longer. The key to using the freezer is to not handle the buds while still frozen. The freezer stays dark and is rarely used as much as the refrigerator section so the bottles can sit undisturbed forever and get very little vibration. In the fridge, everything is used daily, moving bottles, banging things onto the shelf, so the items inside get more vibrations that can damage trichomes, when cold or frozen. They get brittle even when cold too.

What I do is keep my jars in the freezer on a bottom shelf where it's never moved around. When I want something from the jar, I remove it, put it on the counter and let it sit for a few hours until everything comes to room temperature. Then, the trichomes go from brittle and frozen to sticky and fresh. Then and only then should you handle the buds.

I've had weed stored for years in good jars, filled with Nitrogen gas. It remains fresh, sticky and sweet as the day I bought it. It works....try it!

Nitrogen is getting quite popular courtesy of the wine people and it's also being used now in automobile tires instead of air. It's been used forever in Aircraft tires, only now people are finding it's use in automobile tires to be worth the extra cost involved. Wine people have known about this too, it's used to keep wine from spoiling after the bottle is opened.