Where do you guys get your unmalted barley?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ItMustBeOrganic, Aug 18, 2015.

1. I am in need of some SST but I've never made it before so I had no idea UNmalted barley would be a difficult find... I live in an area renown for its beer brewing and I've called just about every brew store in town and the only thing any of them have is malted barley. I tried my local hydro store as well and was told they had no idea where I could get some. I've done a quick google search but didn't come up with anything though I admit i didn't really look into it yet (i will after i post this thread). I know i live in an area with great agricultural resources but I don't know how to tap into them... I wan't to get my materials closer to the source and try to cut the hydro store out of the equation as much as possible. There are tons of farms to the east of me and I know where i can get compost but I would love it if I could get, alfalfa for example, in seed form straight from "the guy" like i know some of you folks do.

So where do you folks buy your unmalted barley, and for those of you who get your nutritional amendments from a more direct source, how do you recommend i go about doing that? Thanks GCO.

2. IIRC, B-A-S has it for sprouting.
    Un-Malted Barley is just Barley seed, if that will help in your search.

Wet

3. gocha, thanks for the fast response

4. #5 ItMustBeOrganic, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
    awesome, thanks. which barley should I go with? whole kernel? :S

5. If you're going to make an SST, I'd go for:

BARLEY-SPROUTING / 1 lb,

6. oh alright, is that like malted barley? I thought for SST you wanted to sprout them yourself for the enzymes? I'm a little confused

7. Yes, this is sprouting barley. If you want to visit a local beer brewing supply store, get either 2 row or 6 row malted barley and save a couple of steps. I thought you wanted to sprout your own.

8. #9 ItMustBeOrganic, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
    I do want to sprout my own, clearly I'm confused like i said in my last post. I've only recently heard of these and have never made one before.

sprouting barley= malted barley?

I thought malted barley was a barley seed that had been sprouted then dried out, not sure why i guess.

what is the difference between 2 row and 6 row malted barley? I have plenty of this available all over around me.

9. 1) I do want to sprout my own, clearly I'm confused like i said in my last post. I've only recently heard of these and have never made one before.

If you want to sprout your own, the first product I linked you to will do the trick.

2) sprouting barley= malted barley?

No, sprouting barley is the raw seed which can be sprouted to make barley plant (grass). Malted barley has already been sprouted and then is either kiln dried or roasted. Roasting creates different flavor profiles and is not what we want for an enzyme tea. We want the kiln dried regular malted barley.

3) I thought malted barley was a barley seed that had been sprouted then dried out, not sure why i guess.

You were right on the money with that thought.

4) what is the difference between 2 row and 6 row malted barley? I have plenty of this available all over around me.

For our purposes, there is little difference in the 2. I've used them both and haven't seen any difference. If you'd like to read up on the differences which have more of an impact in the brewing paradigm, here is an article of interest.

A Comparison of North American Two-Row and Six-Row Malting Barley

If you have malted barley that is locally available to you, it is the path of least resistance to making an effective enzyme tea. VOE

10. awesome post, thanks so much. You've made things so much more clear for me.

11. Great post chunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. This was a great post and sorta answered the same question I'm stuck on.

The thing I still don't understand is that in the reading I've been doing people are actually sprouting their seeds for a few days in bubbled water or cloth. It seems to me that the enzymes would be more active in an actually sprouted tea than in a presprouted dried product right?

If the sprouted/dried barley will accomplish the same things almost as well and much easier that's fine but does it change the process?

13. you just use 1 ounce of malted barley and grind it up in a coffee grinder. Dump this powder into about a half a gallon of water and let bubble for about 4 hours...use this concoction to make a gallon to 5 gallons of SST....depending on how strong/how much water you need...if you need less water, use less barley....combine this SST with aloe and fulpower and the results can be pretty good

PMS

14. It seems as though you kinda have to pay attention to the date of the info you are reading. With a lot of these subjects, improvements have been made within the last few years so opinions and recipes can change.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

15. personally i would pay more attention to who is giving the info then the date it was given.

16. Right but even SOME knowledgeable posters today maybe weren't AS knowledgeable on subject matter 3 years ago. Or their opinions have changed over the years.

Grains of salt.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

17. Long as your lady loves her dirt!! J/S [​IMG][​IMG]

18. Quick question on the differences between an SST using

A popcorn, alfalfa seed of barley seed, ect...
    VS.
    A malted barley flour tea
    (something like this: Thanks Prepper420 for this one)

For 1 gallon of tea:
    1 oz. malted barley grain and grind that to a powder with a cheap coffee bean grinder.
    Add this to 1 gallon of water
    1 oz. of BioAt Ful-Power (pure fulvic acid)
    1 tsp Silica
    1/4 cup aloe vera juice

Whats the benefits of differences between the two, if any?

19. I don't know, but that is ALOT of ful-power!! I use 10-15ml per gallon....which is roughly a third to a half of what your recipe says here. I would not try to sprout on my own....basically because I can't do it as good as a lab can....