Where do you get your info?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by HoosierIVXX, Mar 18, 2010.

1. I'm just curious to see on both sides here where you you get your news from? No arguments, just interesting to see how people's thinking is influenced by what they read.

Personally, I read every morning before getting out of bed:

nytimes.com for world news and op-ed specifically
    cnn.com
    msnbc.com (significantly less colored than their tv news)
    and drudgereport.com

if there's something substantial going on politically, add in Politico and fivethirtyeight.com

2. Primary:

CNN and FOX. Using both in concert with one another generally gives an ok idea of what is going on.

Secondary:
    Drudge
    HuffPo
    Politico
    Big Government

I use a bunch of others, but the above probably accounts for a good 80% of my news intake.

3. It would be unfortunate if I failed to mention Reason Magazine (and their website and blog) as one of my sources. I have always been a student of logic, and Reason has that in spades. Most of their articles do not get distracted by meaningless emotional appeals and straw men, but are very well thought out and defended. I would suggest that as another source to anyone!

4. PBS/NPR
    Reason
    LvMI
    Politico
    C4L

5. Various sources: BBC, CBC, NYT, Huffington Post, Talking Points Memo, The Brattleboro Reformer, the Boston Globe, National Geographic....

I have a subscription to Reason magazine, so I read that on the crapper (srsly).

6. Yahoo, sometimes NYT

7. in order-
    local newspaper
    google news on my itouch
    grasscity
    daily show/colbert

8. nytimes
    gallup.com
    NPR if I'm ever in a car

I generally avoid news on the television, though sometimes I'll turn on Fox or CNN just to see what the 'big story' is for that day... Plus I watch the Daily Show if you count that.

grasscity has also become a vital place to go for me; there are so many different political opinions on here it makes me feel like I'm getting a much more 360 degree view of a subject than I would sticking to just one or two media sources.

Oh, and I have a subscription to the economist but thus far I've read very little of it. I wouldn't exactly call it light reading so I'm really unlikely to pick it up if I've got actual academic work to do.

9. The local newspaper, for local news (who would've guessed...)
    ABC

10. I forgot about NPR... I listen to that on the way to work. It's only a 10 minute drive, though, so I don't listen to it much.

11. Grasscity.com
    Joystiq (video game blog)
    The Daily Show
    South Park
    MSNBC.com (Front page, tech/science)

I'll occassionally catch the local news in the morning or at night.