Where are we?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by peacelove&420, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Okay, so when we dream/close our eyes/think/imagine/learn/see/feel/think/etc. it's all because of things in our brain right? We put something in our mouth, our taste buds send signals to the brain and the brain responds with "taste". So everything we know is because of the way our brain interprets and tells us. So, first, who is in control of this? Who is in control of me typing these words right now? Is it just my brain firing signals and moving my fingers? It is causing it, so where am I? Am I just my brains signals? What makes me have different brain interpretations than you? We all have different taste, options, thoughts and so on, but why/how? Am I a soul that helps the brain work? I hope I'm wording this well enough for someone to understand because I am pretty blazed right now and it's just like a flood of thoughts blowing my mind.

When we dream, our brain doesn't connect us with this world (our waking life). We don't usually know we're dreaming unless we someone overcome the brain's defense and question if it is or is not a dream, then we try to prove it. But how do we do this? Is it an independent mind inside of our brain that allows us to outsmart the brain itself? If not, then why wouldn't we just know it's a dream since it's caused by our own brain? I guess what the main point is, is what makes us have emotions and thoughts? What is our ultimate core being? A soul? If so WHAT is it? :smoking:

2. your asking questions that rely on your own belief

3. Your own belief relies on others to form meng.

4. We are what we perceive behind the eyes, or in the words of George Orwell

"Nothing was your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull"

everything, every single little thing, is whatever you perceive it to be

5. dude I'm totally with you, it appears we exists but as we analize existence we see how all this can be a dream or dreams within dreams.

way i see it each and everyone is an electron or other particle just made and making energy which helps create this whole cycle of randomness and crazyness.

6. Yes. YES. :hello: Preach more please.

7. I don't agree. We all are similar in the aspects I mentioned, unless you have figured something out that I don't understand, if so enlighten me.

8. You do have something here.

There seems to be a difference between the author and the experiencer. As you say, when you're dreaming, on the whole you're not aware that you are dreaming until you awaken and realise that's all it was. As the experiencer, your state of mind, the experiences, emotions, people, conversations, etc. were all that existed for you, and seemed just as real and valid, even if it contained strangeness, as anything that gets experienced when awake.

Everything is either a creation of your subconscious imagination or the experiences are other-dimensional and not manufactured and contained within your mind at all. With some of the more interesting experiences people claim to have when asleep - lucid dreaming, for example, when they can even arrange to meet other lucid dreamers during the night, goes some way to forming 'evidence' towards the latter.

But for dreams to be purely self-created, not only are you producing a fully realised and detailed 'real' world complete with anything that could be found in the waking world and then some, but the characters and interactions have a quality about them that can be every bit as real as any relationship you can have in the waking world.

Who writes the script for these relationships? Who decides what the story is going to be and in which direction it's going to go in? Who decides where it will take place, what the weather will be like, who else will be there, what the rest of the 'world' will be doing at the same time? And this is just the result of some random, neuronic activity, based on images and experiences we've been aware of, just firing off while we're asleep?

[​IMG]

9. The point im making is there are answers to the questions you asked but they rely on your belief.

10. That statement is a contradiction. If there are answers to questions but they rely on your beliefs in order to find them, then they are not answers.

Are you saying there are no absolute answers only those connected to your beliefs and any searching for them is therefore pointless?

[​IMG]

11. You've got a point. But I think shes saying that your acceptance of an answer relys on your belief system. Of course we all want an answer to life after death, but would Christian, Islam, ect believe the real answer, or continue to believe their belief?

12. I believe there are absolute truths. Since this post I've quickly been immersed in information on "astral projecting". To me, this is a huge turning point for my self-discovery. If you've never heard of it you need to look it up asap. True, some will act like it's stupid, but I guess you'll figure out the truth when you die. Basically, there is a dimension around us, the astral plane, we just can't see it normally because we are in a certain consciousness. When we dream we at times get there, after death we're can stay there (or perhaps that is the final? not sure) and also when we project, which is basically separating your physical body from your astral. It all sounded crazy to me at first but after reading stories of people meeting in the astral and connecting in the physical I was pretty interested. If any of you have stories of doing this or tips, let me know.

But either way, I've heard it's a place of peace and sheer awesome-ness. You are a part of something much bigger. There are many parts of the astral plane, different levels per say, which do in ways line up with Christianity, and some even say there is some sort of "God" but, obviously nothing like the asshole in the bible. Everyone should check this out, it opened my eyes to a crazy awesome world, and I am no longer afraid of death.

13. #13 spikeystud88, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
    You're*

And no, that's not true. The question of 'where am I when I dream' does not rely on my beliefs. Are you a non-believer in dreams or something? Every single person on this planet has dreams - some remember them, some dont. Some know they're dreaming, some dont. Some people remove themselves from their bodies and have out of body experiences on the astral plane, some dont. Although we all dream differently, we all do dream (regardless of religious/any other beliefs).

Just dont say dumb shit. What you said makes absolutely no sense at all in this thread. Maybe you didn't fully explain yourself or something - if that's the case then clarify what you meant!

Anyways, I believe that 99% of our dreams take place in our own head. The other 1% take place on the astral plane, when we unintentionally go there (without even realizing it). PL420 and I have been researching astral projection, and it turns out that we go there in dreams more often than we think (well, way more often than we 'think' since we dont even know). People who are on the astral plane who dont realize it are called 'dreamers', and according to what we've read they're like zombies. If you ask them a question, they either wont respond, or they'll just kind of mumble.

Long story short: I believe most of our dreams take place in our head.

The question of HOW we see it is a hard one to answer. If our eyes are closed, how can we see anything that's happening? I've been reading up on the third eye (mind's eye, pineal, etc.) and it's really intriguing. It seems like we really might be seeing our dreams through that eye, because it does have some optical parts (which makes it similar to our actual eyes in small ways).

Mind's eye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So basically the third eye allows us to visualize things that are inside our head. Crazy shit, I know. There's lots of proof that it exists!

14. Do monkeys traverse the astral plane when they are dreaming?

15. From what I've read some animals can make it there when sleeping, but they never realize it of course. It seems like somewhat of a gray area, because how can we know wtf is going on in their mind? I dont think there's a way to test it out for sure. Any 'proof' is just people seeing animals on the astral plane, so IDK.

If you dont know much about the astral plane/world look into it...it's the biggest mindfuck I've ever experienced.

16. This is my same problem with humans, and regarding the astral plane.

17. Who knows, but if so they probably do a lot cooler shit than we do :p

18. Interesting questions, OP.

I have experienced 2 OBEs and that's what got me interested in it. I started trying to project through lucid dreaming and meditation a year and a half ago, but to no avail. After a few months, a stopped (mainly because of time), but now am start at it again. This time, I'll have at least some control over my energy body so I last longer than 20 seconds in the astral. :(

I'm very close now, feeling the vibrations almost every time. I still need to quiet the mind more.

19. Lately I've been wondering why exactly we have dreams, and what makes us dreaming animals different from those that don't show signs of dreaming. Some psychologists think that it is the transfer of the days memories into long term memory; hence why you will experience things you have seen during the day -- but what about the nights you dream about random things and don't recall any of the days activities in your dreams.

Also, why do you need this process when you can easily pull an all nighter and remember things from yesterdays morning? Why do we need DMT to encode these memories? Why do we need to visualize them? Why do we need to be paralyzed at the time, other than to not act them out? Why do we have the ability to jump into the dream through lucidity?

The process feels too "sacred".