Where are there so many different opinions on watering coco?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by KidKid, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Title says it all.

I see a lot of people who do drain to waste/flood and drain, but at the same time people are watering just until there is a little run off then stopping.

Some say water every day, then guys like Hydrohybrid, growing 1+ pound plants say water once or twice a week.

There has to be some type of consensus on the matter.

2. Because coco is very versatile and forgiving of mistakes. You get a lot of the same benifits of soil and hydro without some of the negatives. Also people are using different size containers which require water more or less frequently. Perosnally Ive found that you just want to keep coco wet all the time, that can mean daily or weekly waterings depeding on your system, size of pot and age of plant. I use a blumat drip system, which works well in coco, fill my rez once a week. There is no run off from the system so I keep my nutes on the light side and then hand feed to excess every few weeeks to keep build up from happening. In 15 gallon containers I can get 1lb indoor plants relativily easily with this method.

3. Have any info I can check out on setting one up?

4. Theres all sorts of good information on setting up a grow room with different set ups on this forum. Here is soe basic info on blumats though,

http://www.grotec.co.uk/assets/helppdfs/TrophBlumat Set Up.pdf

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWPLr0Selh8]Demo of Tropf-Blumat - YouTube[/ame]

Welcome - Blumat EN

There is also a thread in the forum titles "The revolutionary blumats", it devolves into another topic but first 5-10 pages are great info.

I highly recommend blumats, they do have some issues but once you get comfortable with them they are very low maintenance. I also think a flood drain table would also be another good low maintence option that would work good for coco..... but really coco is easy even with hand watering.