Where are my TF2 Gamers?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by KushAndChips, May 7, 2011.

1. wow dude i die like 2-3 seconds haha.

you just gotta learn to co operate with medics and heavies!

2. Medic is what I do all day errday :cool:

3. loll just noticed soldiers ammo number

[​IMG]

4. Everyone add me up on this shit,
    I started playing TF2 again literally 2 days before it became free..
    I play a lot of 24/7 2fort and prop hunt servers, surf servers, etc.

Steam name is: just_89

5. bump.

SteamID is entropyredefined. Feel free to add me and join if you see me in a game.

I played this game way too much last year, so I took a break during the spring. Just got back into it after the last update.

Normally learning to play a multiplayer game that has already been out for 4 years involves a lot of buttrape, but fortunately I think the influx of free-to-play people in the last week means this is probably as good a time as any to learn it from scratch. Don't be discouraged if you're getting your ass kicked, it's a fairly easy game to pick up, certainly moreso than CS.

Some classes are easier to play than others... Heavy, Soldier, Medic and maybe Engineer are good ones to get started on; the other classes require a lot of practice to get seriously good at. Spying in particular is very hard and there will probably be a lot of epic fails during your first few tries at that class... I've been playing TF2 for like 2 years and I'm still a pretty awful spy.

6. Im so fuckin down!
    steam username:IKSWORAB

7. Steam ID: quanholio

Currently hooked on GTA IV though, but hit me up

8. #48 bigtaterman, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
    Steam ID: x-seventy5

9. Xbox360 TF2 tonight anyone?

10. [​IMG]

LOL go get it for PC sooo much better than xbox...its FREE

11. I can't even compare the two games! The PC version has developed to an extent that I wouldn't even say to compare them is fair, not because one is better than the other. They just vary so much, and to be honest I really enjoy the 360 version. Albeit TF2 is now free.. My shitty laptop can't run it.

So again I ask, where are my 360 gamers!

12. *cricket*cricket*

13. lol alive thread bumpage!

im enjoying the fuck out of this game.

just started to build my own weapons.

14. my monitor died :cry:

15. Xbox TF2 is pretty much dead. Valve originally wanted to update it for free alongside the PC version, but MS basically said 'if you're going to use our servers to provide DLC we want some money for it'.

Making console users pay for something that is free on the internet is stupid so I think Valve just gave up and started ignoring the xbox version. The online community didn't last very long as a result.

16. Trust me, I'm well aware of the update that was denied. However, the community isn't nonexistent. Last I was on there were a few games to join.. Which is all fine and dandy.. But no stoner rooms D;

I consider a few rooms a decent amount, I'm used to keeping games from the brink of online death.. Like Farcry

17. Sucks you don't have a good enough comp to play it it on Moozix :( and Microsoft is a terrible money hungry pieces of shit company >.>

18. Even though I'm not one of the people against the updates, an oldschool server WOULD be nice. Last I checked there were two, one of which no longer exists and the other has NO ONE EVER PLAYING.

Someone with the power to create a server should totally make an oldschool one.

19. i can't really get started, im getting raped. and all the items and crafting and things like that are a little confusing to me.

20. #60 tailsprower, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
    When you try to learn an FPS game that has already been out for 4 years, this tends to happen, but I can recommend a few things.

1) Valve runs a bunch of servers (they have the generic name 'Valve tf server #X') that the Start Playing matchfinding option will place you in 90% of the time. Since most of the people on these servers were probably brought there by this automatic matchfinder, they tend to be people who don't really know what they're doing all that well. This is probably the best place to learn how to play the game. Also, if you're in Europe, make sure you're not playing on North American servers. Your ping will be terrible and that will make the game much harder.

2) Start by playing one of the easier classes - Heavy, Soldier, or Medic. The first two have powerful weapons that are fairly straightforward to use if you have ever played Quake or UT or something similar. The Medic is strictly a support class; his weapons are borderline useless against anyone who knows what they're doing, so you will want to spend most of your time hanging back, following/healing teammates to build up an ubercharge.

3) Be aware of your surroundings. All of the character models in the game are designed to be easy to distinguish even at a great distance. Use this to your advantage. See a sniper on a ledge across the map taking aim? Get out of his line of sight. See an enemy heavy with a medic tagging along? Fall back and wait for some teammates to move up and help you. TF2 is a team game and if you just run forward all alone guns blazing you will probably die horribly, even if you're one of the heavier combat classes.

4) Good spies eat new players for breakfast, mainly because new players have a tendency to never look behind them (especially once they see someone to shoot at). Spy check everyone on your team. Once you see a teammate fire their gun or switch weapons, you know they are an actual teammate and you can move on. Never stand still or face the same direction for too long, even if you're pursuing someone.

5) Every class has a counter. If your team is being decimated by enemy spies, go pyro and burn their asses. If you keep getting mowed over by heavies, try playing sniper and blowing their brains out from a safe distance, or being a spy and backstabbing them when they are busy shooting at your teammates. If your team can't push past an engineer's sentry gun, try being a demoman and carpeting him with explosives, or going medic for a while to build up an ubercharge. There is always an answer, unless the teams are horribly unbalanced in terms of skill.

As for the items/crafting, don't even worry about it. There is a staggering quantity of weapons and if you are a perfectionist, this probably isn't the game for you because getting them all will take forever. The default class loadouts are perfectly usable, and virtually every craftable/droppable weapon has a downside that mostly balances it with them. It's not a perfect balance (especially for the melee weapons) but you definitely don't need to have special weapons or items to do well in this game. All they really do is slightly alter the class' playing style.