Where are all the marijuana millionaires?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by IMAEREHW, Apr 3, 2011.

1. A decent article showing that the owners of MMJ collectives and the like don't make as much profit as you would assume. With a business model wrapped in red tape and legal fees, you can't expect anyone to make as much money as some people assumed.

I liked the article for the simple fact that it showed how most of these shops are not profiting like they can, and should be, if it were like any other business in America.

However, it did have it's downside. The article opened up with someone who started his dispensary with dreams of early retirement. However, through the general theme of the article, it did explain how he is now making less money than he did when he worked with concrete.

Where are all the marijuana millionaires? - Mar. 29, 2011

But I guess the more time the subject is in the open, the better.

2. Yeah I don't think shops are usually a great way of making money, unless you get to branch out and franchise or something.
    Now growing pot...

3. Dispensaries have to be non profit collectives to funtion legally. So no one who owns them should be in it for the money, do it fo the love of ganja and to share with your local patients. Now the growers can make a lot, but most large cities with mmj are flooded, especially here in Cali, but the black market is where it's at.

Plus those guys don't pay taxes, so they can't really flaunt their money around.

4. #4 benthamj49, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2011
    Concrete is awesome. --Any civil engineer

Seriously, concrete is a godsend. Anyhow, marijuana millionaires are mostly illegal at this point, so they don't come out of hiding, right?

I agree with you though, these shops would make brazillions of dollars if pot were legalized completely. The medical marijuana industry can only have so many legal patients and such; the market ends up saturated on day one with no potential for growth. Once marijuana is legalized, dispensaries will THRIVE. End of story. Until then, dispensaries are just flagships for legalization really, aside from providing medicine to their patients. They won't make a huge profit, but they'll survive until legalization.