When You Die

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Potato Skins, Nov 14, 2013.

1. People can use religion to cope with that uneasiness. I don't have a religion. It's not really so much that everybody's scared to die. In fact, a lot of people accept the fact that they are going to die. It's what happens after death that concerns people.

----------------------------------
    Roll, Roll, Roll Your Joint
    Twist It At The End
    Light It Up, Take A Puff,
    Pass It To A Friend!

2. #22 Superweener, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

It's very true that you shouldn't let a fear of death take up valuable time. You don't have to be okay with it to accept it's inevitability, either.

I don't know..if you want honesty, I'm on absolutely terrible terms with the possibility of slipping into an eternal non-existence, and I get a sense of dishonesty from a lot of people in the world of philosophy who express such a serene attitude about it.

Though, like you said, everyone reacts differently. I don't doubt that there are some people who really do feel comfortable with that possibility.

As I said, I really do envy them.

What is it that we're actually afraid of? I'm not afraid of actual non-existence itself. If it's the truth, I know that I won't be feeling any pain, sorrow...anything. What's so bad about that?

Yet, the possibility doesn't sit well with me at all. What the fuck is the problem?

3. The idea of death is a concept. Death is not a concept. Death is not a thought; therefore you really can't explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. But let me ask you this;

imagine there is an afterlife. A heaven, a God who created this world. What, then, is the purpose? Who does God answer to? And if he does not answer to anyone else, then why should we be satisfied by this end? That our existance is only to the mercy of some other being? This makes existance feel no less signifigant than if there were to be nothing after life. 

What is God's signifigance, and why would He be the "purpose" of my existance?

5. That's really more of a you thing. Why don't you tell me what you think the problem is? Is there a problem?

----------------------------------
    Roll, Roll, Roll Your Joint
    Twist It At The End
    Light It Up, Take A Puff,
    Pass It To A Friend!

6. I am at ease with death for I have seen the light, the other side and I have been very close to dying.  You are not your body, you are your consciousness, energy which we know cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred.

7. We are all insignificant specks of dust in this vast, seemingly endless universe. You die and life goes on, there is no grand scheme, you can die at any given moment, on any given day, so what's the point of being worried about something you can't control, and something we all know for a fact WILL happen to us at some point in life.

8. ^ That is one way of looking at it, but not the only way. Some people believe, while others are in no doubt, that life is more than just the physical. That we were before and we will be after, although perhaps not in a way we imagine. Consciousness, existence, may very well be a permanent state of affairs. For those who don't believe that, and there are many of course, not believing it is still a belief. Whereas for those who's life and experience reveals this to be true in some form (religious ideology aside) brings a whole other way of seeing the world and acting within it. But neither perspective really knows anything, nor can it be proven one way or another. Doesn't mean anyone has the right view, nor should they come across as if they do. Let life reveal itself in whatever way it will. Keep an open mind that the Universe might just be more wondrous and mysterious than it appears, and live life to the fullest while you do.

9. "'After I pass on, my body will become one with this earth. From there, I will become a fertilizer for this planet. And with that. I will return as a huge, beautiful tree.'
    That's what this guy believes. He laughing at me. He's going to come back as a fuckin ficus. Yeah.
    Johnny weeping willow over here.
    I wanted to slam this guy so bad for this right. But then I stopped. I stopped, you guys, please hear me out. I let it sink in and I want you guys to as well.
    I hope when he dies he does become a tree. I hope he's in the middle of the wilderness and he's doing his tree thing. Whatever it is trees do. I know they do alot of work with breezes. And wouldn't it be fantastic if while he was out there just enjoying his treeness. Through the woods a huge, sweaty guy with an axe comes along. Sees him. Chops him down. Smash. Put a chain around him. Drag him through the mud and the muck. Put him into a sawmill. Grind him up. Then you pound him down into paper. And once he's paper. You print the Bible on him."

"She was living in a single room with three other individuals. One of them was a male and the other two, well the other two were female. God only knows what they were up to in there. And furthermore, Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that all four of them habitually smoked marihuana cigarettes..... REEFERS"

10. I also have trouble with the whole non-existance thing. I think it could be simply that my brain cannot imagine anything that i dont feel now. I can accept the innevitability of death but I am not satisfied with just that. It is disheartening to think that when we die there is nothing, but there is no nothing because we are dead and will not know that there is nothing, everything is just gone. I guess I would just be sad that my life has to end into nothing, and thats why it is does make me feel better to believe or put faith in something where i still would have a conciousness after i am dead. The only catch is that humans know so little about our universe, that i like to think we might wake up in a different state of something we could not possibly imagine in our current minds, On a planet insanely far away that would sustain our energy.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

11. can u prove that???

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Your brain cannot imagine non-existenc because non-existence doesn't exist. But even if such a thing were real, you could never imagine it because in doing so it would then exist for you, which by definition, would no longer be non-existence.

13. We observe it readily. Nothing in his statement needs proving. If he were arguing the existence of heaven and he'll, he sure as fuck would need to and be expected to prove it, considering burden of proof. But since he's not proving the existence of these made up places, the burden of proof is not on him.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

$10 says you're not nearly as comfortable with this idea as you pretend to be. I know I can't prove it (and you can even give me a story about you almost dying and feeling completely at peace with it) but I still very much doubt you're OK with simply being erased from existence. I've met plenty of people who acted like dying is small fries, but these same people also lose their shit when playing Call of Duty, so I'm always very skeptical when I see someone try and say, "why even worry about it?"

15. Agreed. There's a big difference between imagining what you'll do and actually experiencing it.

16. The meaning of my life is all about experiences , other than that

Life is completely absurd

17. when your dead that's it, life goes on for others. The sun will eventually die one day too, along with this whole planet, shit maybe it happened elsewhere far far away a long time ago too, we are NOT that special, sorry folks.

18. #38 Boats And Hoes, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
    Yes, when one equates who 'I' am with the tangible body, then, they be will lead to what you presume here..

The body may perish, but your soul will remain, there is no doubt about that, friend.

Existence is energy - the mental/ spiritual constituent of your present existence and energy will endure, even if the mundanely concentrated energy, i.e., the hollow flesh and body, will not, brother.

So, don't freight, "death" (as we incomplete and limited humans conceive it to be) is not the end; live purely and spread love, and you will see happiness, I promise it, brethren.

"And they say, 'There is not but only our worldly life; we die and live, and nothing destroys us except time.' Yet they have of no knowledge of it; they are only speculating."

19. Ehh you can keep your ten bucks, i can say the only thing I wouldn't be comfortable with is leaving loved ones behind, life will go on for them eventually of course but still, other than that wtf am I worrying about ,I was here I saw I lived and now I'm gone, that's it. I sure as shit am not gonna be sitting there looking at my lifeless body like damn I'm really dead >_>. Just because you haven't come to grips with it doesn't mean everyone else is racking their brain over it buddy.

One thing I do know, I don't want a ugly death, like getting my face eaten by a bear or being hacked to death or something.(not like any of us have a choice how we go anyway).

20. Life goes on, people cry for a few days, but begin to forget then move on to the next issue. Life is cruel if you worry about death.

#RedEyeClub