When will the Big One hit California?

Discussion in 'General' started by MunchiesMan78, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Everybody knows the big one will hit California but nobody knows when. For the people that don't know, the "Big One" is supposed to be a mega earthquake that will destroy Los Angeles and cause thousands of deaths. Many scientists know that this event is inevitable but they don't know when it will occur. Recently, an earthquake hit California and had many people worried. It also put the "Big one" back into the spotlight and had people talking about it again. After the earthquake hit California, another earthquake hit Yellowstone national park. Yellowstone national park is known to sit on top of a giant super volcano that is over due for an eruption. If it erupts, all of North America would be covered in ash and we would all be fucked. The LA times was talking about a fault that runs right through downtown LA and that this fault could trigger an earthquake that is even worse than the big one. The media is talking about this and now I'm asking you guys, when do you think the Big One will hit and what will you do when this happens?

2. It's actually not due to erupt for another 1 million years. 

But I do think some more earthquakes may happen. Glad I don't live over there. If Yellowstone does erupt, Jersey should be relatively alright...

3. Tomorrow at 3:13pm

4. If it happens you and die tomorrow then that's what's gonna happen, if the world ends we all die, if you just worry about shit your gonna be miserable for the short time you are here

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. When they say upcoming they mean like within the next thousands of years... I think. Don't quote me on that but there's really nothing to even suggest it will be in our lifetime. Or it could be tomorrow.

6. Yellowstone isn't going to erupt anytime soon..,

And bring on the big one! I got enough MREs and water to survive in my house for a 90 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. [​IMG]

THE BIG ONE 

8. California is easily the most prepared seismic area on the planet. Their building codes, contractor licensing requirements, and inspection processes are the strictest in the world. Residential buildings have a ton of hold downs, straps, and sheer walls, while high rises are built on movable foundations that move with the earth reducing sway and strain on buildings. Buildings there can survive "the big one".

To associate California with deadly earthquakes is like associating Alabama for deadly lighting strikes. I lived there for 30 years, and there have only been a handful of deaths from earthquakes, and only one I can remember involving a collapsed building(that Northridge apartment building).

Tornadoes in the midwest, hurricanes in the south and east coasts, landslides and floods in the pacific northwest, hell even cold fronts in the north every year...these kill more people than California earthquakes.  

9. Haha I'm fairly certain Jersey wouldn't be doing too well. It would impact the whole planet pretty badly.

When did they say it wasn't for 1 million years though? Last I read they thought we were overdue or close, granted that was a while back

10. I read it in multiple articles.

Plus I meant as in Jersey won't die right away from magma and falling ash, but the sky will certainly be clouded and no sunlight and all that lovely jazz. I just meant we won't instantly die like saay people on the west coast. If that's a good thing or not Idunno! 

11. #11 iAmBetty, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    At least humans survived the last one, so if we could ditch in time that'd at least give a chance, ya know, if it actually happened when we're still here.

"The big one" though... Why even live out west haha. The worst possible shit would usually over there

12. All I know is thank God I live in Jersey because if Yellowstone erupted, I'd get on the first ship to the opposite end of the world. As good as that will do.

Yeah the West seems cool, except for all the fucked up shit they get like Earthquakes for one thing. And the center USA gets shit like tornadoes. Here in Jersey we ain't get shit. 

13. Well, you get Jersey Shore stereotypes walking around. Pretty bad still.

14. Eh that's more of North Jersey but it's not that bad! I usually ignore those people. But yeah, they fucking suck. 

15. Tonight at 11:42PM

16. The people who suffered during Sandy want to punch u in your face cause they have that same Jersey attitude lol

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Well Sandy was a freak of nature, usually doesn't happen. I suffered in it to, but is it anything compared to what the West Coast has dealt with all these years? Naaah. 

18. Hopefully not any time soon. My fear is if the fault lines connect and do that supper fault line quake. Just maybe all the fault lines allow for a buffer. Kinda like wires and resistance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQZvdQ-lrvI

19. East coast FTW! :)

20. Ya man were usually safe from all those natural disasters!  :smoke: