When we die, we live on.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by XTC, Nov 20, 2008.

1. We die, we become the earth.

We rot back into the soil, giving life to future organisms.

There is life after death.....sorta.

I'm high, but this makes complete sense to me.

2. When I die I give life to a Future me.

God has nothing to do with it.

3. i guess thatmade sense to me. so like when we come back to life then we live as plants/the ground/nature? that's why there's a lot more natural stuff than humans...because there's a lot more people who have died than who are living now, obviously. but then what about animals/insects...hmm.

4. #4 xchuyx122, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
    In cycles...

In circles

My wish for after death is mobility throughout the entire universe, time is as its perceived and you can travel as fast as you'd like.

You can watch from a distance but never interfere, it ends once you have accepted death,

5. hell yea, thats how i see it, but doesnt that bother anyone like this shit freaks me out:confused:

6. By "we" do you mean our bodies or our minds? Or are they one in the same? If they are than when our bodies die our conciousness flickers out. What's left of our bodies will become parts of other organisms but we wouldn't be aware of it.

7. I agree. But we will never return as another human being or animal since they are self-creating. We can only return as a stationary object or mineral like a tree, rock, oil, etc. We will be part of the earth.

8. This is a good point. BUT broken down to even as small as atoms, matter never ceases to exist. It may change form or attach to a molecule, but it never stops existing. Matter changes from its matter state to energy, but still nothing is lost. Besides the mysteries of black holes, we are able to observe that the universe has the same amount of mass and energy as it always has and always will have. E=MC^2.

With this idea established.. I want to ask why one would think their consciousness ends with death.

Humans and animals are not self-creating...
    if they are I don't see it.
    Plenty of animals eat foods produced by nature. Grass, Tree bark, assorted seeds to say a very few. other animals eat meat from other animals. It is eating these foods that give energy to the animals and produce the offspring.

9. i do believe that the matter our bodies are composed of will live on and go back to the earth, well...its fact isnt it? but our consiousness also lives on and our consiosuness is seperate.

10. E=MC^2 is used to relate mass with energy, not life. it was just used wrong ;)

i would think consciousness ends at death, your mind exists in the matter in your brain. taking the view of a materialist, if your vessel(body dies your brain (mind) dies

how can your mind continue without the needed help of your brain? the never ending firings of electrical impulses in your head keep you living. once oxygen is cut from the brain, it dies, unable to be resuscitated. (this is why we obviously cannot brain transplant)

once you bring an afterlife into the picture, you have brought "Supernatural" into the picture, and supernatural cannot be explained with science alone.

we cannot locate the mind in the brain, but how come they are so closely tied together? if they truly are separate things, (meaning you do continue with your "soul/spirit/mind") how come the brain works wo beautifully with it?

i believe there is no afterlife, there is death, and just like sleep and not being born, time "flies" until the universe contracts, collapses and big bangs again.

"view of the materialist" - RAZORsharp

11. I think your right! Our brain is consciousness little pulses of electricity let the brain function, electricity is energy and energy is what the earth puts out so when we die are energy is still apart of the space we once occupied.

12. the energy, yes.

but is it REALLY you?

is the energy you gave off once your heart and brain stopped you?

like i mentioned before. once you bring "living on" and "supernatural (yes afterlife and continuation is supernatural)" it voids the science behind it.

13. actually i believe our main consiousness is in the solarplexus area, the mind is seperate from soul.

nevertheless, every particle of energy/matter is recycled back to the bigger net we call the universe/multiverse.

but our consiosness still lives after death, possibly entering another dimension or coming back for the material experience of life on Earth.

14. I don't believe that a human's consciousness is produced by the brain. It is seperate, and though meditation I have consciously observed my my brain in action and doing what it does. I was completely aware of my brains thoughts without being connected to them.

15. bingo! i first heard about this concept from desteni productions and then actually witnessed my thoughts being seperate from me.

16. The trick is, is trying to avoid the understandable anthropic dichotomy we create.

17. #17 JahLift, Nov 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2008

But one could argue that our consciousness is completely physical, in essence a matter of chemicals and hormones in our brain. while other believe that our concieousnees is seperate from our physical forms. Which in tun is the soul.

And certian historical circumstances show that when our brains are injured in certian aeas, it can effect the victums emotions and reality.

And all of this is speculation, because life after death will always be an unsolveable mystery,.

18. yeah uhh, as much as thats true... and there may indeed be a part of our residual consciousnes that goes that way too... for the most part, presuming we've not been totally deluded into creating our own heaven or hell, we splice off from the body, n get to go off n float free.

i've seen this, i've been there, i know it.

...and i see myself saying those words from the perspective of my old dry science dogmatist self, and it seems so flakey, "where's the evidence" my old self screems... i ask that old version of myself, what would you have me bring back but the message that it is so?

19. Everyone and Everything has and will exist forever. I've always ,in the back of my mind, believed in some kind of reincarnation. And, like an earlier poster, I believe our consciousness moves in circles throughout the Universe, inhabiting different things.

20. #20 Major Hit, Nov 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2008