When to switch to 12 hour (What HOUR?)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by plantnerd01, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Very new here. Not to gardening etc, but to legal cannabis, and indoor.

Im going to switch to flowering soon, the clones doing great under my CFLs...

but can I switch the start time? Like if my 20 hour light ends at 4 am - lights back on at 8am, Can i decide to start my 12 on 12 off at a totally different hour, say like 8pm lights on, then 8 lights off, or is it better to start the 4am on - 4pm off, keeping the same start time they are on? Like will it be a shock to their system if I move start times?

My reason is its been getting weirdly cold here at night (Southern California), so it gets to 36f outside (stays about 50 in the garage at low), but the day normal is about 78 degrees inside garage. Id like to have lights on at night, off during day to even out the heat.

2. I believe you will be fine to switch the light schedule whenever you'd like. Just don't keep changing it, once will be perfectly fine

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Most seem to run at night. It can be cheaper power rates and is also the coolest time. I dont think the one change when ur not in flowering yet will hermie it if thats what ur asking?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Good point about the power. My only concern is the midday sun. I dont think ive totally light sealed the grow area. Its pretty good, but I just have some velcrow keeping a big light proof quilt in place, some small light leaks. I was going to not worry much and just have lights on during that time. Crazy weather. I might just take a chance, its mostly Indica strain, I'm assuming they're tough being from Afghanistan, extreme climates. At most 30 degrees here... Meh, I think I'll let it ride and keep the same light schedule.

Thanks for the input!

5. got to get real cold for them to suffer. so that wont bother them to much. You may get some nice purpling. Dont spray the canopy before lights out..lol

You could always trya small heater?

6. Switch when your lights go off at 8 am

7. Ok, Score:
    1 to keep same hours
    2 to switch it up

Anyone have good data on this? Hard to ask question, because when I google it, I get when over the lifecycle to switch to 12, not when to go from a certain hour to certain hour.

Seems like its a really common issue? No?

I guess I have an extra variable, which is my night temp is 50 low high is 75(f). Seems like an ok range?

I think the vibe I get is that, its not going to matter, so long as its consistent...

8. You can set the on time to whatever is most convenient for you. Plants won't know the difference, they don't own watches....

• Like Like x 1
  9. If you wanna be specific leave the lights off at the end off the 12 hr on cycle , leaving them for 24 in the dark

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lol lol lol

11. Thats not a bad idea.
    I vote this.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Been doing it for decades

• Like Like x 1