When to switch to 12/12?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MrsNancyBotwin, Apr 2, 2014.

1. my girls are not even 3 weeks from seed yet but they are lookin SO FUCKING SEXY!! they are short but really bushy and they stink sooo good :yay: ... 
    so i have a question.... how do i know when its time to switch to 12/12?  :confused:
    they are Feminized Bubblicious strain, which i am pretty sure is Indica dominant.. 

2. they will stretch 2-3 times their size after flip, so depending on how much light and head room you have it's really a judgement call.

do you have enough penetration to flower bigger plants? if not i'd flip soon ;)

3. yeah they have a good 7 feet before i cant move the light any higher... but im not sure i want them THAT big... 

so you mean its totally on me? when i want to switch? i could wait 4 weeks or i could do it tomorrow? no harm no foul? there is no general rule of thumb?

4. what kind of light setup do you have. cant flower 5' tall plants with a 250w or even 400w is tough if you have more that 2 plants. light won't penetrate but halfway through the canopy. i tend to veg for 3 weeks or 12", then flip. end up with 3-5 ft plants

5. i have 600w hps, 

6. #6 MrsNancyBotwin, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
    10150945_479632818803445_1787334710_n.jpg
    excuse the shitty phone pic, but this is where i am at today..  19 days old from germination, 

7. If you're not in a hurry, give it a few weeks to get some size and possibly train it a little. Your time won't be wasted.

8. thanks, im in no hurry.. so theres no 'set time' for certain strains to veg or nothin like that? ((unless its auto)) 

9. You can do 12-12 from seed if you want, but I find two weeks from seed to be better and take about the same ammount of time.  It's a numbers game....squeeze in a bunch of wee plants for a short veg.  Med patients with strict plant counts on the other hand may be forced to veg out monster bushes to get enough from whatever arbitrary number is imposed. 

Also, just because a light can be adjusted up to seven feet does not mean it can power a five foot plant.  Just like a CFL needs to be right up on a plant, a 400 is only going to support plants to a certain distance.  Monster indoor bushes have bare bulbed 1000 watters dropped in vertically (not always of course....you know what I mean).

10. they have to veg regardless of light cycle until they reach sexual maturity (preflower). flipping to 12/12 early for regular seeds doesn't really change anything imo.

11. preflowers, awesome, theres the answer i was after...  goddamned short term memory failed me again LOL :smoking:

12. They show preflowers at week 5 or so give or take a day or so

13. Them girls are getting the love they need... keep up the great work...

14. good to know thanks @[member="Tyr"] ;)

yeah they are! more photos tonight, i FIM'd Lacy a few nights ago, did NOT slow her down for a minute! she is still a good inch taller than her sisters, the twins are not getting FIM'd or Topped or anything..  so it will be interesting to see the difference in them at the end

16. #16 Joker11211952, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    In Sea of Green lots of one big cola plants in a relatively small area people start flowering at 6-8 weeks.  It's for quick turn around of small harvests.  If you're not in a hurry I would wait awhile.

Oops, I just read up again of SoG- it's done with clones.