When to start growing outdoors in Southern New England

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by tokingandpoking, Mar 7, 2013.

1. When is the ideal time to start growing outdoors in Rhode island? I want to put my seedlings out as soon as possible so that my plants get big. It doesnt matter how big they get. Ill be growing on family owned land in the woods where there is no foot traffic whatsoever and just a few plants for personal use. Also what is the best way to start a plant indoors to give them strength before being exposed to the elements? Thanks guys any advice is appreciated.

Productive smoking is key to your enjoyment of the herb

2. Rhode islands spring times are always difrent but beginning of may is when I would do it so you don't have to worry about the cold nights in late April stunting your ladies.. I would start them under a t5 1-2 months before may depending on how big you want them

3. Ok. Heres what you have to do. Unless you live in a place that doesnt get cold till december you will have to artificially give them 12/12 light and dark. That means every day for 8-10 weeks you will have to cover them at 7pm and uncover them at 7am and if you dont do this your plants will never mature before the cold kills them. Being born and raised in plymouth mass i know the climate very well. Your best bet for semi maintenance free grows is the 60-70 day seed to harvest strains like critical jack automatic that will flower in 24 hours of light so no artificial black out is needed.

4. ^^This^^

No disrespect intended here, but in your area there is no need for 'artificial blackout'. So long as you aren't growing a long flowering sativa, your plants should finish fine. I notice first signs of flowering from end of July, to beginning of August when daylight hours are about 14 hrs. 12/12 does not apply outdoors, unless you live on, or close the equator.

Starting them indoors is the way to go. A well established plant has much better odds than a seedling. Your main early season enemy, slugs, and snails can destroy a seedling in one feeding.

Best of luck this year.

5. Thanks for the advice. What is the best method for starting a plant indoors. I currently have a seedling in a jiffy pot of fox farms ocean forest under cfls. Ive had the cfls on them for the past 24 hrs

6. Sorry pal, 12/12 DOES apply. Dont do it and you WILL have airy buds. Now if you lived in Southern Oregon or Norcal then your summer is long enouth to get closer to a 12/12 photo period. Look, im 46 and been doing this for 15 years please dont tell me what im doing or tellig this person wrong stuff. Do what you want but if you dont have auto strains you need to black out for atleast 6 weeks. Since i begin my out door flower by july first my outdoor crop is done by september first. Let ypur plants go maturally all summer and before they finish you have bad weather, cold temps and frost and a massive loss of light when they need it. The best time to flower outdoors is thru july and august. 15 years teaches you alot, just saying

7. Seriously, you do not know what you are talking about. Try growing like you.say here in spokane washington, no where near the equator, more like 49 degrees north latitude. Your plants will suffer if you just leave them out

8. You sound like you have no idea what your talking about..I have and seen many people grow in New England very successful without forcing them into flower..

9. Your message would probably be received better if you said it in a less condescending way. You have a very valid point that flowering in the summer months does produce nice buds. Patrio was also accurate when he stated that 12/12 doesn't apply outdoors, since plants flower at 14 hours of light. That's basic knowledge, but not exactly what you were talking about. Maybe next time you could make your point in a more explanatory, and less aggressive way?

Thanks, Mjmama. :wave:

10. #10 patriofarmer, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
    Easy killer, but this forum is here for everyone to share opinions in a polite manner. I respect your experience, but I've been around myself.

Did you read the original post? We are talking Rhode island, not Spokane. Ime based on where I live, July is the worst month to flower, relative humidity is through the roof. Realistically who has the time to do what you propose? So in reality to tell a first time grower to cover their plants is folly for so many reasons. Telling them that a dank harvest is impossible without doing what you propose is ridiculous, bordering on comical.

As for the 12/12 comment, I'm not quite sure we are on the same page. My point being plants have a flower trigger that is certainly not 12/12. More exactly 14 hrs of light is when most outdoor plants begin to flower. By the time most of the continental US has a 12 hr day, our plants are well into flowering.

I'm not here to argue, but the facts speak for themselves.

Once again your opinion is based on west coast experience. I've grown many plants, and seen many more grown. Never seen or heard of someone pushing this theory so hard. Light deprivation is a great tool, agreed. Is it necessary for the OP in Rhode Island...absolutely not.

BTW I mentioned the equator only because the days are 12/12 year round.

11. Sorry for the derailment there.

If CFL's are what you have to work with they should do fine. Make sure you keep the lights as close as you can without burning the seedlings. If your not sure, put the back of your hand up to the light.. If it feels too hot for your hand, its too hot for the plant.

I generally wait until the stems are 'woody' before putting them outside, which is about 4-6 weeks minimum.

Good luck this season.

12. What is the light schedule i should keep them under before putting them outside?

13. I like to do 24 hours, partly because it's simple, and partly because the lights help keep my plants warm on cold nights so I don't want to turn them off. But 20/4 or 18/6 is perfectly fine too.

I'd take a look at the details of your situation and see what makes the most sense for you.

14. 16/8 cause 12/12 doesn't apply outdoors :hello:

15. Plymouth Mass Huh? I've spent a significant part of my life in that county, and you are full of shit, suggesting that we can only grow autos!?!

I don't like to be a dick but you're just SO dead wrong on this one.

This artificial darkout plan is only necessary with certain "tropical" sativa strains. Just avoid those strains and all will be fine.

Back to the OP's question. Don't plant before May. And you will have to play it by ear; sometimes winter leaves early. I think May 15 is a nice safe date. May 1 is probably doable most years.

16. And im.going to fell you ive been doing this for 15 years and know what the fuck im talking about.
    If you have a SIMPLE 8-10 week strain
    Last possible frost is in may
    Longest day is june 21
    Plants dont flower on their own till AFTER the first week of JULY
    10 weeks puts.you at the end of september
    After august 15 you drastically lost sunlight.
    Where you put your plants for light in june nolonger gets the same light anymore and ontop of that you have thunder storms, heavy rain and hail to deal with.
    No sir, i DO NOT.AGREE WITH YOU. My years experience has taught me many lessons. Leaen from my lessons.

17. Lol just give up dude if that's what you've been doing and thinking all those years then you've been thinking wrong and doing extra work that whole time

18. Look dood, i was born in jordan hospital in plymouth, grew up in brockton downtown ridin the bat bus. 14 years in mass, 17 in south west michigan, same climate and 7 here, further north in the mountains. Do what ever the fuck you want. My grows dont just get left in the woods. You seem to leave out alot of factors in your put it out and let.it go method. Grow eastcoast shwag or grow something dank, idgaf.

19. #19 Tokin419.9, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
    When you have a clue about how to grow outdoors come see me.Stumpy, till then stfu.

Telling our members to STFU is disrespectful. We don't tolerate that kind of behavior here. I encourage you to read our forum rules and guidelines if you intend to fit in here.

Chunk

20. There's no need for disrespect. You have your opinions and we have ours. If you are confident in what you believe then show us. But don't hush other peoples opinions. Especially when they happen to be right!