When to start flower nutes and at what strength?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ChinaRider, May 28, 2011.

1. Hi All.... Still pretty new here. Searched and did not really see what I was looking for.

So I'm on my first grow with a Blackstar 500w LED. I wanted to test out the light somewhat quickly to see if I need to supplement during veg with more blue. so decided to plant 4 freebee autos from Attitude (Buddha Seeds - White Dwarf, Red Dwarf, Syrup, and Deimos.)

I'm 30 days in and the Red Dwarf is showing 20 or so white hairs... None of the others are yet. The tent is already pretty skunky. Up until now I've been using the Technaflora recipe for success at 50% and things are looking good. I'm about to mix my next set of nutes. I'm going to move the Red Dwarf to the flowering mix and keep the rest on veg.

My question is in general should I switch to flowering nutes the first watering after I notice the white hairs? Also, if they are already doing good on 50% veg mix should I start off with 50% flower mix when I switch?

2. Giving the plants extra Potassium when flowering starts can speed up preflower formation. Extra K and also P throughout flowering will increase bud growth, assuming there's enough light to go with them. Just for the sake of any future grows, I have to mention that more flowering food earlier would probably have created more bud at the point you're at now.

3. when using lighting that is less than the optimal hid, you really need to use a ppm that is less than used when using hid.

4. Actually perfect timing... I started the White Dwarf and the Syrup 14 days after the other two. :-} Figured I'd spread out the trimming. Just moved them from party cups to air-pots. Wish the air-pots arrived earlier so I could have used them for all the plants.

The Technaflora mix says to do BC Boost, BC Grow, Thrive Alive Red, MagiCal, and SugarDaddy for veg and BC Boost, BC Bloom, Awesome Blossoms, Thrive Alive Red, Magical and sugar daddy for flower.

So far the mix seems pretty good... no burn or anything. It's good to know that I should do the flower nutes earler. Still so much I need to learn. Thanks!

5. I'm a big noob so I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about with the nutes :wave:

But I am at day 49 on my Deimos/Red Dwarf. RD pistols appeared on day 16 and Deimos on day 20. The RD really took off in bud growth but doesn't have a lot of tops .. it has 6 but the main cola looks hella awesome. The Deimos has 9 tops but it looks like it's about 2 weeks behind the RD even though they sprouted within 12 hours of each other. Both were LST'd somewhat lightly. Right now my RD trichs are about 10% clear and 90% cloudy so I'm getting excited for my first little cron plant. Oh and the RD stayed really tiny .. maybe a foot tall(30cm) but the Deimos is probably 15 inches and still growing a bit.

Best of luck with those!! Let us know how they turn out

6. I'm going to LST on the next grow (Chocolope and Vanilla Kush.) For my first I just want things to grow without much intervention (which means less of me screwing it up.) With my ladies the red dwarf showed all the white hairs she has since the last feeding... So about 3 days for maybe 20 hairs. The demios is bigger and fatter but no white hairs. The other two are coming on about the same.

7. #7 ChinaRider, May 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011
    I'm growing in organic soil with the above mix of nutes... Ph in is usually 6.2 Ph out is about 6.4. PPM in is 800... never measured it out.

EDIT:

Do I need to measure it?