When to start feeding Nutrients to seedlings ?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by King Loki, Jan 28, 2019.

1. This is my first grow ... So after reading and watching countless amounts of information on this, there seems to be 2 camps ... one that says don't feed nutrients for at least 7/10 days after they sprout ... and some people say to start them on a light nutrient solution right away ...

My seedlings are about 7 days old and have started to sprout their second set of leaves ... I started them in soil and switched them to coco yesterday (they seems to be doing fine after the transfer) ... should I start feeding them a light nutrient solution now that they are in coco? or should I wait a bit longer?

some advice from he coco pro's here would be great

running them under a 450w LED with just the veg light turned on atm and I will be using general hydroponics nutrients.

2. I was impatient and fed them with a quarter strength nutrient solution ... I'll see how that goes ... but i would still like to know if there is a definitive answer on this subject.

3. 0.6 e.c go with that don't go with what the bottle says because they will perish lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. yeah I did 0.4ml micro and 0.6ml bloom per litre

5. I just feed a light dose of cal-mag and root supplments for the first 2 weeks, if the leaves look a light green I'll start adding some base, you must water daily with a little runoff each time. Do not let coco dry out. You will need plenty of Cal mag on hand. Coco has some tricky features when it comes to hydroponics nutrients and absorption. Most coir contains lots of potassium, and it transfers some to your crops. Coir locks up magnesium and calcium and the only thing that defeats the lock-up is to add calcium and magnesium so your hydroponics plants can get enough of these two essential elements. Yes, treat Coco like hydroponic!! Also, if you are growing different strains (like the photo below, 5 strains), you will have to watch close, some will need large doses of Cal-Mag.

Attached Files:

6. I feed daily from sprout with 1/4 strength bloom nutes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Do I still need to use cal mag if I did two 8 hour buffer sessions (soaked the coco in a heavy calmag solution) ?

8. Yes, Coco holds on to it.

9. How much cal mag per gallon ? I’m looking for a cal mag ratio to start out on I will be using r/o water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 3ml per gallon seems to be what most people are using for cal-mag ... but I don't use RO water so not 100% sure on that

11. I only use calmag when there’s a deficiency or at mid flower when I know it’s coming. Unless using RO water, as long as you buffered, you should be fine

Feed everyday with 1/4 strength nutrients

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Small plants 2-3 mil per gallon. Increase to 5ml toward end of Veg. Flowering I'm currently feeding 10 ml per gallon. If you see any yellowing or brown spots, double what you are feeding, I also water twice a day, allowing for a small amount of runoff, it's not necessary to have a lot. Some strains will need more Cal mag, this is normal, an example is Maui and Super Lemon Haze, one other thing, I continue with 1-2 ml of Veg base during flower. I don't eliminate the nitrogen. I don't use a ppm meter, I rely on appearance, Coco is much easier then DWC, but needs to be treated as such, don't allow the coco to dry out. Every three weeks I will flush with pH ro.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Awesome ty so much !!!

14. Hey quick question after I mix my new tip and everything in pH it do I need to use all of it right then or will it be good for a day or two

15. It should be good for about 5 days, I guit using pH pens and use the GH pH drops, after you get honed to the color codes it's much easier to spot check it, I mix 4 gal. at a time. Today I will flush, approx 2 gal of pH 5.8+- ro, and then back to feeding, if you see the leaves turning dark green, feed with ro and Cal mag, some growers don't realize there's nitrogen in Cal mag(2%) as well. So the base has to be reduced if you see the dark leaves and burnt tips, Just watch your plants, they will tell you how they are. And if you grow multi strains, you will run into the one that is just plain needy and uses up more of your time.

16. I really appreciate u taking the time to lay out what ur doing for me ! So awesome having a bit of confirmation , ty

17. #18 wwonka, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    I have a question: Do you drain the runoff or can I let the fabric bags sit in the runoff?
    NM I actually found the answer and it's No. Right?

you dont want it to re absorb the salts in the runoff. If I read it correctly.

18. 3mls

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum