When to start feeding cal-mag to seedling using RO water and coco?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KidKid, May 14, 2013.

1. I have a 7 day old seedling. It's just starting to work on it's second set of true leaves. 

I do not want to run into a calmag issue since I am running coco/RO water. 

At what stage should I begin using cal-mag? 

I was thinking maybe start at 50 ppm next feeding. Or is it to early? 

2. Grow oganic in soil :) but seriously I don't know. All this stuff is over my head that is why I grow organic. Hope someone comes along and gets you answered. 

I would guess that a small feeding with cal/mag in to won't hurt anything. 

Peace

3. Thanks for the info, maybe someone else has some insight. 

I will eventually try Organic oneday. 

• Like Like x 1
  4. You should feed CalMag if/when you see a Ca or Mg deficiency. Even then, theres no guarantee that the deficiency is being caused by a lack of CaMg, could be caused by a pH lockout and adding more will only make it worse.

No simple answer, here.

5. Yeah there is no one time, every strain has different nutrient needs.

Assess the symptoms and start then or wait until at least another week, shouldn't be an issue.

6. There is a simple answer.
    IN COCO

I use it on every watering, from the second set of leaves.

I put it in, right through the entire growth.

• Like Like x 2
  7. What dalars said....
    Coco is completely inert with no nutrient value.
    RO has NO cal-mag or anything else.
    The seed embryo has enough food to sustain the seed for 7-10 days, so best answer is do it now.
    Start with a general purpose mild nutrient mix with micro nutrients, like General Hydroponics Flora 3-part, or Advanced Nutrients 3 part, or any good reputable series, with a cal-mag additIve.
    Some hydro growers find that adding 1 gal. Non-RO water to 4 gal. RO is enough to prevent cal-mag deficiency, but that depends upon your water source.
    Hope this helps & bestaluck to ya.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 trichomesweethome, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
    THANK YOU!! dalars and olde school, first time growing and i went with an almost straight coco medium, and was having trouble finding an answer other ppl agreed with on this topic. GC strikes AGAIN!

9. #9 Kalikushsmkr, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
    If I may add.. Regardless if u are using r/o water or tap the seeds first set of leaves called cotyledons, have all the nutrients it needs to start life. I try to wait untill I start to see alittle yellowing of those leaves before I add a very light nut mix... Around 200 ppm should be good.. What I do is add rapid start (25% of recommended dosage) after a set of three finger leaves comes out with a visible stem. When using r/o water I find sum strains need more mg even with cal mg added so try to get sum Epsom salt. Not the one u soak ur feet in, so go to the grow shop and ask for it. I never exceed 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon of r/o water and always add it to a one gallon bottle half filled with water so u can dissolve and shake the crap out of it. Good luck hope I helped in some way..

• Like Like x 2
  10. great info here guys, anyone have any experience with mega crop? would coco need more cal mag added to MC?